It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User
Costs too much to eat healthy!

I'm trying so hard to change my ways and eat healthy.

The problem is the price of fruits and veggies! It's disgusting! Maybe it's because I live in Mass?

I enjoy fruits and vegetables but when I go to pick up 1 avocado from the grocery store.........and I see it's $1.99 EACH!!! I CRINGE!

1 Green Pepper - $1.56
1 Red Pepper - $1.67
a lemon - $1

I would love to eat healthy but it would cost me a fortune. It's tough to see that a huge bag of white rice would last many, many dinners, at only $4.

I need to feed my daughters fresh strawberries, cantelope, bananas, peaches......but by the time I'm done with a week's worth of fresh anything.......I'm fresh BROKE!

Looks like frozen dinners are a 3 for the price of one bargain!

And fresh is best......I hate frozen fruits. I'll only do frozen corn and peas......that's about it! Have you ever tried frozen broccoli? Talk about sog city!

Last edited by sarasota2004; 01-02-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Costs too much to eat healthy!

well food is a priority and, good healthy foods are a must..I think its best if you eat healthy cuz lots of kids in todays world are malnurished(including adults)..so no matter how you see the picture..its best if you eat healthy, forget about anything thats prepared..please avoid those..
The people eating wrong are often taking medications..thats because they are not eating healthy foods the body wants..Remember it is a must to eat healthy..so if you can't afford it..then you might wanna cut don't on certain expenses you have..or maybe forget the going out to eat, or going to the movies..its crazy the way people think, they will never say its expensive to eat out but, when buying healthy foods that are more expensive, they will flip..
Most of the people are living life backwards..

i wasn't being hard or anything, i just mean good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

That frozen soggy broccoli is the only kind of broccoli that my step daughters will eat. They do not like crisp broccoli. I like it raw or cooked either way.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Frozen pea pods are really good. They are crisp and sweet. Pictsweet is the brand that i like. I just bought two bags of mixed veggies for the price of 1 with a coupon. They have corn,carrots,peas in them. They are really good microwaved or throw them into a soup to add extra nutrition. If you can't afford fresh veggies then frozen or canned are your only other option. Try not to think about if you like them or not. Think about how they are good for you and your kids and necessary for health and well being. I think so many people these days think too much about if they like the food they are eating and not nutrition. That is why so many people are undernourished in this country. If everyone only thought about how much they like the food they eat we would all live on junk food all of the time.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It really does seem that the prepared foods, canned or frozen, are the cheaper way to go these days. As prices soar, I seem to be eating more and more Stouffer meals. Seems almost a paradox.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ewwwww that stuff stinks..

and, yes like Kari said its people that go for taste rather then nutrition..i always throw veggies in my pasta..or beans..we have to get creative..oh well..

Old 01-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasota2004
I'm trying so hard to change my ways and eat healthy.

The problem is the price of fruits and veggies! It's disgusting! Maybe it's because I live in Mass?
I think maybe it is Mass! I live in Mass as well and it seems like the prices for fresh fruits and veggies are outrageous. Maybe its because we don't like in a year round warm climate so everything is shipped here. I always try to look for the weekly specials and buy what ever is available but of course my favorites are always the most expensive!

Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I have to agree with the original poster that eating healthy is pricey. Fruits and veggies go bad very quickly so I'm constantly buying them. Although, I've been eating more frozen veggies and drinking veggie juice, plus my little one likes brocolli and cheese(cooked.) But like Losec says, it is absolutley vital that us adults and children are fed proper nutrition to prevent illness and maintain well being. So, in that case I figured since I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, now I can compensate for healthier food. Like, I used to spend about 28 dollars a week on killing myself! So, I try to weal and deal with other things and MAKE SURE I can buy organic foods, or good wholesome foods when needed.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

omg/ a pack a day..ayy..im glad you gave it up Jess.. ..and, yes thats exactly what I mean..like people will spend their money on everything else and, think its kool and, stuff..but, won't want to eat healthy bacuz its to expensive..its so crazy how the dark side is sucking people in..

Old 01-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
omg/ a pack a day..ayy..im glad you gave it up Jess.. ..and, yes thats exactly what I mean..like people will spend their money on everything else and, think its kool and, stuff..but, won't want to eat healthy bacuz its to expensive..its so crazy how the dark side is sucking people in..
Yes, exactly. If some people would give up their weekly case of beer, or their bar trips every week, they would save so much money right there! And, if someone is driving around in a $50.000 dollar car complaining about how eating healthy is too expensive, then the complaining ain't nothing but an excuse. So, it all boils down that some people just don't care. And I'm not refering to the original poster, I'm just saying others in general.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Yes, exactly. If some people would give up their weekly case of beer, or their bar trips every week, they would save so much money right there! And, if someone is driving around in a $50.000 dollar car complaining about how eating healthy is too expensive, then the complaining ain't nothing but an excuse. So, it all boils down that some people just don't care. And I'm not refering to the original poster, I'm just saying others in general.
Nice..

hey Jess you should start up the recipe thread..i think it would work.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Depends where people have their priority! I like to vacation, go to the movies(bring my own snack)buy a good book as well as eat healthy, but if you were to ask me to give up a vacation to Honolulu so I could buy a box of organic apples, oranges, brocolli etc etc, well I wouldn't! But I don't make those kinds of deals. We eat healthy 6 days of the week and go out to our favorite Thai restaurant every Sat night, we don't drink etc. Fruits and veggies will cost more if they have to be shipped or it is off season. Here in Wa state apples are notorious and we grow them ourselves. Food industry like any other industry wants our money, so they say and do whatever it takes to get us to fork it over. We can't fool ourselves either, eating healthy doesn't guaranty disease free life. My friend is a vegatarian per se, never touched a drop of booze, smokes or candy, never eats desserts either. Everyday she brings to work an apple, orange and a salad, this went on for 20 yrs, then she got colon cancer, then skin cancer and so far she is in treatment for ovarian cancer. Never met another person who lived a healthier life than her, but her mom and father both died by age 60 with colon cancer, it does have alot to do with the gene pool, if it runs in the family you still are at a high risk, healthy lifestyle or not. Chances are you can reduce the risk but it is not a guaranty, life is no guaranty. Not meaning to sound poopy but I try not to preach this lifestyle too much cuz I know it doesnt help everyone.

Last edited by NancyH; 01-02-2005 at 08:54 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
Nice..

hey Jess you should start up the recipe thread..i think it would work.
Hehehe, why is that?

Old 01-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah..
i have a brother that just had a heart stroke bout two months ago..he always ate bad..and, always ate out..to very cheap restaurants, smoked like a chimney and, did drugs galor..never said a word bout how much money he was spending Neva..now he's complianing how much money it costs to buy healthy foods..i will never understand that..he also has high cholesterol..im not saying to stop living..im just saying to stop buying stuff thats not necessary..including material stuff..

ha Jess..i dunno just do it..it will be fun and, people might get encouraged or somtin..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-02-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyH
Depends where people have their priority! I like to vacation, go to the movies(bring my own snack)buy a good book as well as eat healthy, but if you were to ask me to give up a vacation to Honolulu so I could buy a box of organic apples, oranges, brocolli etc etc, well I wouldn't! But I don't make those kinds of deals. We eat healthy 6 days of the week and go out to our favorite Thai restaurant every Sat night, we don't drink etc. Fruits and veggies will cost more if they have to be shipped or it is off season. Here in Wa state apples are notorious and we grow them ourselves. Food industry like any other industry wants our money, so they say and do whatever it takes to get us to fork it over. We can't fool ourselves either, eating healthy doesn't guaranty disease free life. My friend is a vegatarian per se, never touched a drop of booze, smokes or candy, never eats desserts either. Everyday she brings to work an apple, orange and a salad, this went on for 20 yrs, then she got colon cancer, then skin cancer and so far she is in treatment for ovarian cancer. Never met another person who lived a healthier life than her, but her mom and father both died by age 60 with colon cancer, it does have alot to do with the gene pool, if it runs in the family you still are at a high risk, healthy lifestyle or not. Chances are you can reduce the risk but it is not a guaranty, life is no guaranty. Not meaning to sound poopy but I try not to preach this lifestyle too much cuz I know it doesnt help everyone.
But in MOST cases, eating healthy is one of the most important things in order to maintain health and prevent illness. However, I do agree that there are acceptions but that ain't gonna stop me because I feel and look better when I eat healther!

Closed Thread