It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
(male)

Uncle Mike HB User
Question Cutting down on Carbs.

Ok, I just have a couple questions that I want to get answered. Everyone I ask gives me a different answer. Im trying to lose a few pounds, Im really not over weight, but just trying to look a little better. Im 5'9" and weigh 175lbs. I want to get down to like 160-165 would be good. My friend does this low carb diet, but I think he takes it way too seriously. He has days where he eats 0 carbs. Some days he has very little, but never goes over 30g of carbs a day. I started doing this, counting carbs, but never had a day where I did 0, Im always around 30-50g a day. I started out weighing 188, and after a few weeks I am down to 175, which is great, but it seems I cant get any lighter. I cut out all pasta, all breads, and fast food and snacks, and soda. I now only drink water or diet soda. If I go to a fast food place, I buy a grilled chicken salad and use very little of the dressing they give to you. What I want to know is, do you have to cut out ALL carbs, or are some carbs ok to have, like orange juice? My friend says orange juice is a big no no while my sister says orange juice is one of the best things for you. She said there are good carbs and bad carbs, orange juice is a good carb. I just want to know whos right, and do you really have to stay under 30g of carbs a day to lose weight or is that a rediculously low amount? Also, why did I stop loosing weight once I got to 175?? I weigh myself every Saturday morning when I get up, after going to the bathroom. The last 2 Saturdays, I stayed the same weight. Does that happen sometimes, then you start losing again?? Its making it hard for me to keep staying on this diet, and counting carbs seeing Im not losing anymore weight! Please respond with some answers for me to my questions. Thanks so much, and Happy New Year to you all! Mike

Last edited by Uncle Mike; 01-02-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #2

Lady_Raven HB User
Re: Cuting down on Carbs.

Wow it sounds like your friend does take the low carb way too seriously. I personally don't believe in the low low carb diets. I've talked to two dieticians about it who say that it's just a terrible idea and that the only reason it works is because you're taking in less calories. 30 grams of carbs is WAY too low to eat low carb in a healthy way. There is nothing wrong with a lot of carbs and you NEED many of them like the sugars from vegetables and the fibre from whole grain breads. It's the refined sugars that you need to watch.

With the orange juice it's okay to have one serving (which is like 1/2 cup or less because it's so concentrated). Again, it's the sugar in the juice that you need to watch.

What you'll find with only eating 30-50 grams of carbs a day right now is that if you start eating more carbs you're going to see weight pile back on.

I know people say low carb diets work but many people are very unreasonable about it. Just cut out the sugar completely and only consume natural sugars from vegetables. Choose whole grain breads and pasta. You can eat those but if you want to eat lower carb just have maybe 5-6 servings a day.

This is all of the stuff that the dieticians told me to do and it really really works and it's soooo much healthier than depriving yourself of carbs that your body needs to function and be healthy.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Thats definately a ridiculous diet youve got there. Many people swear by low carb diets, but to be honest, I think they are a complete waster of time. Losing weight is simple- burn more (or dont eat as many) calories as you need or put in. This means eat less or exercise more, or better yet, do both! It does not matter where these calories come from. That being said, it is obviously more beneficial to eat healthy food like veggies, lean meats, GOOD carbs, etc over cakes cookies and donuts. But ultimately you can eat anything in moderation. You could eat an all carb diet or a no carb diet- if you eat less than needed or burn more than you ate then you will lose weight. Period.

The main reason people do so well on low carb diets is because it is almost impossible to overeat if you eliminate carbs. Think about it- why does chinese food fill you up so quickly? Because of the veggies! Also, it isn't likely someone on a low carb diet will fill up on 3 lbs of meat, because you would feel full long before that. A low carb diet reduces calories without the person realizing it- this is why people like it; it is fairly simpler than counting all your calories.

However to be honest, I think you live a fuller life if you include carbs in your diet. You CAN lose weight by eating ANYTHING you want- as long as you eat reasonable, controlled amounts. Look at food labels and search the foods out on the internet to find their caloric content. Eat foods for their nutritional value- NOT their carb content. Try to eat between 1300-1500 Calories per day. DO NOT eat below 1200 calories per day! You can even find meal plans online that lay out everything for you. Keep a few key pointers in mind when you are choosing your foods and you WILL be able to have your cake and eat it too (and drop those last few pounds!):

- eat a variety of veggies AND fruits regularly, including the starchy ones!
- when having carbs, introduce them slowly..you have been limiting your intake so build that up slow or you will most likely feel sick
- choose good carbs over the less nutritious ones (but you never have to completely avoid ANY food...just eat in moderation)..these include whole grains (in bread, muffins, cereals, etc), bran, brown rice, wild rice, even plain rice once in a while...whole wheat pasta or even white pasta once in a while, potatoes, etc
- choose lean meats whenever possible- this includes chicken, turkey, pork, lean cuts of beef, fishes, etc
- eat healthy fats when possible- olive oil, non-hydrogenated margarine, the fats found in fatty fish such as salmon, etc
- eat breakfast. You are more likely to overeat later if you dont
- eat 5-6 times per day, having smaller meals/snacks (ie/ 300-350 Cals for breakfast/lunch/dinner, 200 Cals for 2 snacks)
- try to get some dairy in as well- skim milk, low fat yogurt, LF cottage cheese, etc
- drink LOTS of water and try to limit your diet soda- aspartame isnt great for you!

Hope you understand and this help you get those few pounds off. Trust me- no food needs to be avoided in order to lose weight- just eat in moderation and eat less of it!
Good Luck and keep us posted!!
GG

P.S. There is absolutely nothing wrong with orange juice. The only downside is that some varieties are sweetened and who really needs that extra sugar? But it STILL gives you nutrients and is STILL good for you- just look for unsweetened, pure OJ..or make your own!

Last edited by girlygirl11; 01-02-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes orange juice, try the tropicana its 100% juice and, not pastureized

Old 01-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Wink Re: Cuting down on Carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl11
Thats definately a ridiculous diet youve got there. Many people swear by low carb diets, but to be honest, I think they are a complete waster of time. Losing weight is simple- burn more (or dont eat as many) calories as you need or put in. This means eat less or exercise more, or better yet, do both! It does not matter where these calories come from. That being said, it is obviously more beneficial to eat healthy food like veggies, lean meats, GOOD carbs, etc over cakes cookies and donuts. But ultimately you can eat anything in moderation. You could eat an all carb diet or a no carb diet- if you eat less than needed or burn more than you ate then you will lose weight. Period.

The main reason people do so well on low carb diets is because it is almost impossible to overeat if you eliminate carbs. Think about it- why does chinese food fill you up so quickly? Because of the veggies! Also, it isn't likely someone on a low carb diet will fill up on 3 lbs of meat, because you would feel full long before that. A low carb diet reduces calories without the person realizing it- this is why people like it; it is fairly simpler than counting all your calories.

However to be honest, I think you live a fuller life if you include carbs in your diet. You CAN lose weight by eating ANYTHING you want- as long as you eat reasonable, controlled amounts. Look at food labels and search the foods out on the internet to find their caloric content. Eat foods for their nutritional value- NOT their carb content. Try to eat between 1300-1500 Calories per day. DO NOT eat below 1200 calories per day! You can even find meal plans online that lay out everything for you. Keep a few key pointers in mind when you are choosing your foods and you WILL be able to have your cake and eat it too (and drop those last few pounds!):

- eat a variety of veggies AND fruits regularly, including the starchy ones!
- when having carbs, introduce them slowly..you have been limiting your intake so build that up slow or you will most likely feel sick
- choose good carbs over the less nutritious ones (but you never have to completely avoid ANY food...just eat in moderation)..these include whole grains (in bread, muffins, cereals, etc), bran, brown rice, wild rice, even plain rice once in a while...whole wheat pasta or even white pasta once in a while, potatoes, etc
- choose lean meats whenever possible- this includes chicken, turkey, pork, lean cuts of beef, fishes, etc
- eat healthy fats when possible- olive oil, non-hydrogenated margarine, the fats found in fatty fish such as salmon, etc
- eat breakfast. You are more likely to overeat later if you dont
- eat 5-6 times per day, having smaller meals/snacks (ie/ 300-350 Cals for breakfast/lunch/dinner, 200 Cals for 2 snacks)
- try to get some dairy in as well- skim milk, low fat yogurt, LF cottage cheese, etc
- drink LOTS of water and try to limit your diet soda- aspartame isnt great for you!

Hope you understand and this help you get those few pounds off. Trust me- no food needs to be avoided in order to lose weight- just eat in moderation and eat less of it!
Good Luck and keep us posted!!
GG

P.S. There is absolutely nothing wrong with orange juice. The only downside is that some varieties are sweetened and who really needs that extra sugar? But it STILL gives you nutrients and is STILL good for you- just look for unsweetened, pure OJ..or make your own!
Wow! You really broke it down well...kinda took the words right out of my mouth, or should I say my keyboard! Carbs are a very important element to include in the diet, and strictly eliminating something from your diet like carbs can cause problems like ketosis and kidney failure in the long run.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-02-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
(male)

Uncle Mike HB User
Thumbs up Re: Cuting down on Carbs.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Ok so doing this is not such a good idea, so how can I start eating carbs again without going right back to weighing 188?? Im so used to not eating alot of carbs now that I can happily and easily stay under 100 or even 50 for the day. Before I did this diet, I bet there was days I was easily doing 500 or so grams of carbs a day because I was trying to figure it out. I was eating alot of fast food for breakfast and lunch, then eating whatever I wanted for dinner, followed by nighttime snacks, and drinking on the average 4 cans of soda a day! What I dont understand is, how come Im not like 300lbs from all these months/years of eating crazy amounts of carbs daily, but yet cutting wayyyyyy down, its still hard to lose a few pounds? Last question, I know its not so cut and dry, BUT, what is the most amount of carbs you should take in per day if you wanna lose weight or atleast stay the same? What is the most, or what should you stay under? My sister said she thinks she remembers reading somewhere that you should eat no more than like 150g of carbs for the whole day, but she wasnt postive. I am very interested in eating correctly now, since Im so used to eating without junkfood. I eat bowls of salad like they are going out of style, haha. Mike

Old 01-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

lisa2005 HB User

Atkins says when you stop losing weight, subtract 5 g a day for that week from your low carb diet. If you are eating 30-50, you will lose weight slower than others. Make sure you are exercising too. You may be too high in your carb intake and your body doesnt know what you are trying to do. You have to stick with a certain figure than build up. I was on that diet. I lost 30 pnds in 4 months. I stayed at 20, 30, then 35g a day. This time I am going to try weight watchers. When you do eat more carbs one day the pounds will come back, although my weight stayed the same...I think I was "maintaining" my weight by eating the right amount of carbs in the end. BUT I am sure that weight would have come back a little eventually. I am going to switch to Weight Watchers. I got tired of the same food over and over again.

Orange juice is a no no b/c of the sugar. They have low carb juice though out at some food stores. Yes good carbs are veggies etc....eat lots of those, but you have to stay with in your gram daily amount.

Last edited by lisa2005; 01-05-2005 at 08:53 AM.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

lisa2005 HB User

I am at the same problem, I am in between diets LOL.

Atkins to Weight Watchers. I am going to stay about 150g of carbs. I think weight watchers tells people to eat a little of each food group. As long as you don't over do it you should be fine. As for any diet, eat in moderation. Jog Jog Jog!!! The more you eat, the more you should exercise. In my opinion of course.

So far I have been off of Atkins for a week and a half, and haven't gained any weight back. Now if I sit around and do nothing, then I will be in trouble LOL. I am going to get the point book for WW, they teach you how to eat correctly.

Oh and good luck Mike!!!!

No junk food!

Last edited by lisa2005; 01-05-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I think the no-carb or low-carb diet is useful in that it REALLY makes us see how dependent our diets are on carbs - sandwiches, pasta, rices etc. Having a huge carb portion with every meal usually ends up with us sacrificing the veggies and protein.

Having said that, people who do the no-carb or low-carb STILL aren't really eating healthily. Many would rather eat a sugar free candy bar with a million ingredients (or should I say chemicals) than have an apple. This makes no sense.

Yes, abandon the bad carbs - the ones that don't appear in nature such as white rice, white bread, pasta etc but DON"T abandon the good ones like brown rice, quinoa, veggies and fruits.

But, theres NOTHING better than natural fruits just like nature intended. It'll do WAY more for your body than some horrendous manufactured low sugar bar.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I think eating late (after 6pm) is a problem too if you're trying to lose weight.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Personally, I pretty much avoid fruit juices and eat the fruit itself instead. You get the benefit of no added anything plus the fiber.

Closed Thread