It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Eating more than my friends

I am supposed to be trying to gain weight, but it's a lot easier said than done, both physically and mentally. I am 6' and 133lbs and when I go out and eat with my friends I am either eating the same or more than them. This may not sound like a big deal, but it makes me feel very anxious. If they are normal weights and I am very thin, but I am eating the same as them, why wouldn't I begin to gain a ton of weight and balloon out? It's hard not to compare my meals to theirs, but I can't help it.
When my best friend who is 6ft tall as well orders lentil soup for lunch and I order a big turkey pita sandwich with avocado, I can't help but feel anxious. But I know I need to gain some weight...it's just difficult to relax and go with the flow...
I want to gain weight, but I guess I also don't want to. Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Ay-yay-yay...

Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Eating more than my friends

You probably just have the tendency to eat more when you go out and not at home. Some people would rather "closet eat" so to speak, than eat a lot in front of others. I have read about this on other boards. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about that, I'm sure they eat more than you behind closed doors from reading your other posts about how you say that you kind of feel like a pig just from eating cottage cheese, nuts and apples, and something else I forget, but it wasn't alot. You seem to worry about eating too much when I can eat that in a half of a meal sitting, LOL, so I dunno, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be happy that you aren't overweight and how you can eat a lot in front of others!LOL And I think your what like 7 pounds underweight? That shouldn't be a problem, and if I were you, I'd do it slowly.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-05-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol..you wouldn't want to know how much i eat!!

Old 01-06-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Im sure you do not eat THAT much. If you are trying to gain weight, then you need to eat more than your friends, who are not trying to gain weight. It IS hard, no doubt, I go through the same problem. Just keep in mind that they do eat as much as you, if not more than you, outside of that one meal you have together. Most normal people dont eat all their meals regularly or roughly the same size. You are very aware of what you eat and therefore probabaly make your meals all regular. You wouldnt eat half a bag of chips on the couch, mindlessly, while your friends probably wouldnt even realize they did it. It is hard to forget this when you are sitting there with someone and they seemingly eat way less- but just remember that to be healthy you need to gain weight, and your friends have no real bearing on this!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Sometimes, though, I have spent days at a time with some of my friends (on vacations, etc...) and it is not just one meal. So I know they aren't eating some huge breakfast and then skimping on lunch- they are legitimately eating less than I am. I just hate that feeling.
Anyway, I'm just not sure that I need to gain weight. I think I eat normally and my meals are complete, but I am not gaining any weight. Isn't this a sign of not NEEDING to gain weight?
Here is an example of a day:
Breakfast: Sliced apple, Grande Nonfat Latte
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich on rye bread with lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado
Snack: Wasabi peas
Dinner: Chicken, 2 roasted tomatoes, hummus, pureed sweet potatoes
Dessert: Medium frozen yogurt with crushed almonds
Snack: Raisins
...And I did not work out today.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Sometimes, though, I have spent days at a time with some of my friends (on vacations, etc...) and it is not just one meal. So I know they aren't eating some huge breakfast and then skimping on lunch- they are legitimately eating less than I am. I just hate that feeling.
Anyway, I'm just not sure that I need to gain weight. I think I eat normally and my meals are complete, but I am not gaining any weight. Isn't this a sign of not NEEDING to gain weight?
Here is an example of a day:
Breakfast: Sliced apple, Grande Nonfat Latte
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich on rye bread with lettuce, tomatoe, and avocado
Snack: Wasabi peas
Dinner: Chicken, 2 roasted tomatoes, hummus, pureed sweet potatoes
Dessert: Medium frozen yogurt with crushed almonds
Snack: Raisins
...And I did not work out today.
No wonder your not gaining weight, you eat like your on a diet to lose weight!

Old 01-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Maybe yesterday wasn't a good day to give as an example. I feel 100 times worse about today. Please tell me if this is terrible...
Breakfast: 1 slice wheat toast with benecol (type of low cholesterol butter)
2 eggs scrambled, lowfat cottage cheese
Snack: Grande NF latte from Starbucks
Lunch: 3 rye krisp crackers with salsa, avocado and melted soy cheese, 1 rye krisp with reduced sugar jam
Apple
Honey Toasted nuts (1 handful)
Snack: Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough and some plain chocolate chips (was baking and couldn't resist)<----GROSS
Dinner: To Be Determined...probably a fish dish and some red wine
...I probably forgot something...but I just feel terrible about all of this...And now I have to go out to a big dinner and drinks...i feel very anxious.

Closed Thread