It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
The "No Carb" Fad

Okay, carbs turn into sugar I know, but if you look on most foods the label is either going to read high in carbs, high in fat, or high in sugar. What's left to eat?

Old 01-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: The "No Carb" Fad

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
Okay, carbs turn into sugar I know, but if you look on most foods the label is either going to read high in carbs, high in fat, or high in sugar. What's left to eat?
Veggies, sea vegetables, fruit, fish, chicken, tofu, quinoa, millet, cottage cheese, oatmeal, salads, beans, nuts.....

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-07-2005 at 08:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Low Carb and Low fat are both fads. You don't have to worry about either of these but we do have to concern ourselves with the nutritional value of the food in question. That should be priority. Whole, unrefined foods with no added crap. It's really easy.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

I believe it's all about moderation. You can eat something high in anything bad as long as it's not something you do on a consistent basis. If you exercise, a lot of benefit will be provided meaning counteracting what you eat. I try to watch how much saturated fat and sugar I take in. I try to eat natural meaning fruits and veggies but it seems now that organic is the only way to go but it's expensive and I don't know how much hype is in all the claims regarding how bad non-organic foods are.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

The key is getting rid of most of the stuff that has a nutritional label . . . pre-prepared, processed stuff.

But we all have our different genetics, medical history, lifestyle, etc. We don't all have the same requirements. It can take a little experimentation to find what works for us. Hopefully the "fad" aspects of any eating regime will pass, and people will seriously consideration for whom one way of eating is a positive and another way positive for someone else.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehtab
Low Carb and Low fat are both fads.

Fads, yes, but I think useful ones. I was born in the 70s and back then we'd cook everything in butter and then the low fat movement came and everyone starting to take note of the inordinate amount of fat they were consuming. So, we cut the fat and upped everything else.

Then, the 90s came and the holistic community was saying, 'too much sugar!!' and so it became mainstream and now everyone is examining their sugar intake.

So, now the pendulum has been pushed from a diet consisting soley of carbs to one where there is a drastic reduction of carbs (good and bad ones)

Hopefully, we'll learn from both fads and try to aim for the middleground of moderation.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Right. I think people are just too lazy to actually research nutritional value of food and what goes into the processing of the food they eat. They like pretty labels that tell them the item is good for them.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Right. I think people are just too lazy to actually research nutritional value of food and what goes into the processing of the food they eat. They like pretty labels that tell them the item is good for them.

Yep. And most people would NEVER buy either book or food magazine explaining the composition of food and how the body reacts to it.

But, I think, even when we DO read about food we're only left with one side, one perspective and one opinion. There are medical researchers across the world who've spent years monitoring peoples food and STILL their views conflict!!

Its difficult sometimes for even the most dedicated and well-read person to wade through all the info and come up with a balanced diet!! Thats because all sides kind of make sense!!!

The low carb diet is unhealthy because it eradicates ALL carbs but its GREAT in that it really makes us look at what we're eating.

I really attribute the low carb movement (specifically the book Carbohydrate Addict) for bringing home to me a lot of the things I was feeling - headaches, ttiredness, constant hunger pangs etc. that I didn't know the cause of.

I come from a period in time where I did eat veggies and fruit etc, but it was also considered OKAY to eat a slice of bread with everything and to eat lots of potatoes, pasta and rice!! You know, the type of food that sticks to your bones!! And really, how could I have learned otherwise???

I think we're all just trying to make sense of it all

Old 01-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Low Carb and Low fat are both fads. You don't have to worry about either of these but we do have to concern ourselves with the nutritional value of the food in question. That should be priority. Whole, unrefined foods with no added crap. It's really easy.
Exactly my thoughts!! They're fads, and they're bad fads. Food quality is the key to good health, which means unrefined, organic foods, everything in moderation. Counting calories is the key to losing weight, at least it's the healthy, sane way to lose weight, plus exercise. Cutting carbs is just cutting out a very necessary part of your diet. We need all those carbohydrates in grains and fruits and vegetables to keep us well.

You want to lose weight?? Try eating a big, nourishing breakfast before 10 in the morning. A moderate lunch, and a light dinner. Treat yourself to a tiny dessert, maybe around 3pm, or when you're really stressed. Drink lots of water, eat lots of fiber, take fish oil supplements to curb your cravings. Eliminate dairy products, commercial fruit juice and especially soda pop. Eat organic meat, and don't avoid raw fruits and vegetables - eat whatever you want of those. Try juicing vegetables, find a concoction that you like. It will curb sugar cravings, too, and energize you. Just a few thoughts. I'm no expert on nutrition, but the low-carb fad is going to cause people some serious damage before it makes national headlines. I'm talking heart disease, gout, scurvy, diseases that used to be unheard of will make a comeback.

Last edited by kerry1; 01-09-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey veggie girl..
what are sea vegetables..??

Old 01-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
hey veggie girl..
what are sea vegetables..??
Sea veggies..the food formerly known as sea WEED!!! The name change really helped it image!!

I mainly eat wakame, hijiki and nori.

Wakame comes dried and looks a bit like big, black tea leaves. You put a tbsp or so in a bowl and add water and voila!...it expands by about 5 times and gives you delicious dark green leafy looking things. I eat it for breakfast quite often with some quinoa or tofu/yuba.

Hijiki is smaller and nuttier and heavier than wakame. It looks like small, black rice and you soak it in water for about 1/2 hour (or5 minutes if you add boiling water) You can eat it alone, as a side, in soup or in rice.

Nori - as you may know - is seaweed dried into sheets. I often use it to make homemade 'sushi' (sans the fish) or I cut strips of it into my miso soup.

They are INCREDIBLY good for you - packed with nutrients, minerals and anti-oxdiants. And the best part - you can buy a small bag of it that will last you weeks or months for less than $4 at the Japanese mart or in Chinatown.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

yuck! All the bad tasting stuff is good for you! moderation and excercise sleep, and water will do wonders!

Old 01-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
yuck! All the bad tasting stuff is good for you! moderation and excercise sleep, and water will do wonders!
haha. Sea veggies are SO good!! Haven't you ever eaten sushi? That delicious slightly salty, sea taste is delicious!! Theres NOTHING bad tasting about sea veggies. Even my boyfriend loves them and he often eats at Boston Market, McDonalds etc for lunch.

Don't knock it til you try it

Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah, its a matter of getting used to it..Im on the gluten free diet..hehe I might wanna try some of that.. thanks veggie girl..<< its funny calling you veggie girl..lol

Old 01-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
yeah, its a matter of getting used to it..Im on the gluten free diet..hehe I might wanna try some of that.. thanks veggie girl..<< its funny calling you veggie girl..lol
Yep, you're right, its all about getting used to stuff. We're so programmed to eat crap that anything non-processed tastes weird to us

So, if you're gluten free, what grains do you avoid? Do you eat quinoa?

Closed Thread