It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question High fructose syrup and Total protein cereal???

Hi,
I usually buy most of my food from Whole Foods market and used to buy my yogurt from there which is organic, but I tried all different kinds and none of them compared to my good old yoplait. I used to eat the fat free kind with aspartame before I made a conscious decision to eat healthier, and that goes for no sweetners. Plus, yogurt has that healthy bacteria in it called acidipholus which is beneficial to the intestines. Well, I really miss it and when I was shopping at wallmart tonight for other things like paper towels, ya know that stuff, I came across the aile where there was yogurts and found the kind that has sugar in it, 1.5 g of fat, and 27 g of sugar. Well, the organic kind had that much sugar in it too, soooo my question is.....The yoplait contains high fructose sugar in it and the organic kind doesn't and the grams of sugar are the same. Well here's really the question... What is so bad about high fructose sugar when sugar is sugar and both of these products carry the same amount of sugar grams??? Thanks.

Oh, and I also bought some Total protein cereal which is high in whey protein, and whey protein is good for you. I workout and figured it's better than buying shakes cause it's real FOOD, cause I don't eat alot of meat so I've been substituting with protein shakes. I know Losec....do you think that's bad?? ANyways, does any body buy that Total cereal that is high protein lower carbs? What do you think of it?

Last edited by Jess75; 01-07-2005 at 07:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: High fructose syrup and Total protein cereal???

lol..i dunno Jess.. if its bad or not..my concern is still that you are constipated..i can't eat those but, i eat corn flakes from natures path or mesa corn with flax..yum I cut up fruits in there too..yum..oh and, yoplait is good actually the company that makes it is from here..not far from me..I use the Liberty kind, much better, more expensive tho..lol I hope you'r doing ok??

Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

high fructose corn syrup is fructose I believe and not sucrose. The "organic" kind usually is sweetened with cane sugar, which is usually just refined sugar only they use words like "evaporated" in place of "refined". Most sugar comes from the cane crops. Neither of these two are good for you. I believe they started using high fructose corn syrup because it was cheaper and they thought it was healthier than sugar. I don't think it raises your blood sugar as much but I could be wrong. I don't think either of these choices are good for you, though the organic one would be favorable just because it doesn't have as much of the bad stuff that dairy has in it anyway.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
lol..i dunno Jess.. if its bad or not..my concern is still that you are constipated..i can't eat those but, i eat corn flakes from natures path or mesa corn with flax..yum I cut up fruits in there too..yum..oh and, yoplait is good actually the company that makes it is from here..not far from me..I use the Liberty kind, much better, more expensive tho..lol I hope you'r doing ok??
Thanks Losec, I'm going to look into the mesa corn with flax that sounds good cause I like the flakes, I could only find RIce Twice at Whole foods and I don't like it. I'll look into the Libetry kind too, thanks alot.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehtab
high fructose corn syrup is fructose I believe and not sucrose. The "organic" kind usually is sweetened with cane sugar, which is usually just refined sugar only they use words like "evaporated" in place of "refined". Most sugar comes from the cane crops. Neither of these two are good for you. I believe they started using high fructose corn syrup because it was cheaper and they thought it was healthier than sugar. I don't think it raises your blood sugar as much but I could be wrong. I don't think either of these choices are good for you, though the organic one would be favorable just because it doesn't have as much of the bad stuff that dairy has in it anyway.
Thanks! It was something I was always curious about!

Old 01-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey..me again.lol

the mesa ones come in a see threw bag..its a very big bag for like 7.99$
and, the yogurt from Liberty is very good..mmm a little more expensive they also make the cottage cheese that I eat..the company is not far from me..lol. I hope you find it there..

search for 'liberty yogurt'

bye..going to bed

Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
hey..me again.lol

the mesa ones come in a see threw bag..its a very big bag for like 7.99$
and, the yogurt from Liberty is very good..mmm a little more expensive they also make the cottage cheese that I eat..the company is not far from me..lol. I hope you find it there..

search for 'liberty yogurt'

bye..going to bed
K, I will bye.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

FYI, the Total High Protein is the nastiest tasting stuff! I actually spit it out and threw the rest away.

Closed Thread