It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #1

pgirl HB User
Food Mentality

So, ive previously struggled with anorexia, but now, physically I am back to a very healthy and for the time being comfortable weight. My mind is another story...Anyways, i was wondering how people who are able to stay healthy and eat healthy keep a good mentality about food? I hae some trouble with it due to my battle with anorexia, i have an all or nothing mentality. So needless to say, when i did gain my weight back, it was not the right kind of weight...more fat then muscle. That has changed a fair bit since ive recovered by working out frequently and doing as best i can to eat healthy. However, i still struggle with binges and then freak outs about not eating (which i do not take into action). So i was just wondering, how should i go about thinking differently about food? My therapist suggested to think about food as fuel, which is good, but i think its just a start. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

anumii HB User
Re: Food Mentality

[ removed ]

Hi Pgirl,

I have had my share of freakouts over food...and what has helped most is being mindful of what kinds of emotions I may be trying to soothe or stuff when I want to binge. Geneen Roth's books have all been a tremendous help. She deals with compulsive overeating, but a lot of her advice can be applied to any ED.

Physiologically, what can help is eating small, regular meals throughout the day. I like Bill Phillip's Eating for Life plan...it's sensible and moderate and solid nutrition...it keeps your blood sugar stable and hunger pangs at bay all day but you don't eat a LOT so you don't get the stuffed-feeling-freakouts. Basically he says to eat a balance of protein and carbs with every meal....I use a rice protein powder to supplement my protein since my diet is mostly vegetarian.

Keep any 'trigger foods' completely OUT of your house. That way it's not there to tempt you. Keep loads of healthful foods around to avoid feeling threatened by your food.

Another good book is "Thin Tastes Better" by Stephen Gullo. I realize that being thin is not your issue, but he has a LOT of terrific deprogramming techniques that help you break free from food obsession.

Hope this helps,
Hugs,
R

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2005 at 07:17 PM. Reason: report problems to the moderator, do not respond on the board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

Redskirt1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgirl
So, ive previously struggled with anorexia, but now, physically I am back to a very healthy and for the time being comfortable weight. My mind is another story...Anyways, i was wondering how people who are able to stay healthy and eat healthy keep a good mentality about food? I hae some trouble with it due to my battle with anorexia, i have an all or nothing mentality. So needless to say, when i did gain my weight back, it was not the right kind of weight...more fat then muscle. That has changed a fair bit since ive recovered by working out frequently and doing as best i can to eat healthy. However, i still struggle with binges and then freak outs about not eating (which i do not take into action). So i was just wondering, how should i go about thinking differently about food? My therapist suggested to think about food as fuel, which is good, but i think its just a start. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.
First, let me say that what your therapist suggested is really the best thing you can do. Think of your food as fuel to keep your body going. Also, something that I would suggest, is positive affirmations. When you start thinking about binging or freaking out, or when you start worrying about the food you are eating, try telling yourself over and over that you are a beautiful person just the way you are. That the food you are eating is healthy and good for you. That you are exercising. I can't imagine how you must be feeling, and my heart goes out to you. The reason I suggest positive affirmations along with the positive steps you are taking, is that the mind is a powerful thing, but we tend to believe the negative more quickly than the positive. So, positively affirm these things about yourself, about food, about exercise, every day. I am glad that you are able to see a therapist, and I hope that he or she is helping you. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I don't know if this will help I know nothing about anorexia really. I think of food as nutrition for my body and a cancer and disease preventative. Healthy foods have vitamins and minerals in them to keep us healthy. So when I go to have a meal I think about getting all of my food groups in. Veggies or fruit, whole wheat bread or grains like rice, dairy and Meat. If you concentrate on getting all of your food groups in that could help your attitude about food. It helps mine just to be healthy though. If I realize I haven't gotten enough of a food group in I go and eat it even if I am not hungry sometimes. I am at a healthy weight for my height not underweight or overweight. Thinking about food in this way for me has kept me from gaining too much and from being too skinny. I was just reading an article about the different types of people and how they take care of there health and I fell under the category of being a foody. Someone who believes that food can keep them healthy. So many studies prove how different foods can prevent cancer and other diseases. Our bodies need it to survive.

Closed Thread