It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

dramaqueen2613 HB User
Exclamation Diabetes with Heart Disease Diet?

My dad has Diabetes type 2 and Heart Disease. He's finding that the diets that are for each cancel each other out. For instance, for Heart Disease it encourages eating fruits, where as with Diabetes fruits are a big no no! So now he's having a hard time finding things that are acceptable to both diets. He's starting to say that he'd rather die than eat this way. I wanted to help him, and I was wondering if anyone knew any websites or information for a diet or recipies that's great for someone who has both types of diseases. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Inactive

Mehtab HB User
Re: Diabetes with Heart Disease Diet?

I can't understand why anyone would rather die than eat what is good for them to eat. I just don't get it. A lot of people feel this way. No one gets diabetes from eating fruit but because your dad has diabetes you are right he can't eat fruit yet. Fruit isn't necessarily good for heart disease but a healthy diet is. Don't pay attention to those typical "heart healthy" diet menus and those "diabetic" menus. They are crap. For your dad I would suggest eating no refined foods and a lot of nuts and seeds, preferably raw, for the magnesium. Green vegetables won't hurt a diabetic and will help a good deal. Since heart disease is closely associated with oral health care and human mouth bacteria you might want to get his blood tested for mouth bacteria and see if you can do something about that, such as "colloidal silver" (the real kind). Also berries are low on the glycemic index and he can have those. Good luck.

Last edited by Mehtab; 01-09-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

So I was thinking you could pick up a book on the macrobiotic diet and see if he doesn't get interested in that because that would really be the perfect diet for him.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

dramaqueen2613 HB User
Exclamation Re: Diabetes with Heart Disease Diet?

Ok...well...the fruit is just an example of something he's not supposed to eat. He's not supposed to eat it ever,aand I know you think nuts are good, but that's just not good for him because of the fat. He has type 2 diabetes as a result from his Heart Disease, thus far he's had one major heart attack (38 years ago), 4 small ones, and 4 years ago he had quadruple bipass surgery. Only 25% of his heart works now. This is serious stuff! He must follow those diets that his doctors/nutritionalists, or he risks more effects or death. The problem is he can't find much that is approved for him now. I was talking to him about it and he just said that it's so frustrating trying to find stuff that he could eat, that he was just considering eating what he wants (which is considered a good, nutritionaly balanced diet!) and "if he dies, he dies". So for him, eating a normal nutritionally balanced diet isn't an option. So I'm more looking for some ideas of recipies and foods he could eat from someone who's dealing with the same thing(or knows someone). He likes meat and seafood, and vegetables a lot.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Good luck in your search then.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I would recommend the SouthBeach diet - it was written specifically for people with his health problems. At the very least get the book at the library and read it, then decide if you think it's right for him.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
(female)

dramaqueen2613 HB User

We have it and the cookbook because I use it, but it involves too much fat for the severity of his condition

Last edited by dramaqueen2613; 01-10-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #8

llamamuffinmama HB User

Hello,
Have you looked into a low fat vegan diet? It's based primarily on vegetables and whole grains. Proven very good for heart health in the Framingham Heart Study, and by Dr. Dean Ornish among others, and also used effectively by diabetics (for more on this, look for articles/books written by Dr. Neal Barnard, Brenda Davis, etc...)

And it shouldn't be unpleasant for him at all! Eating should never feel like punishment, no matter _how_ healthy it is! I eat this way myself, although not because of either medical condition, and the food is not only wholesome, but can be very creative, varied, and delicious!! (I'm a professional chef, and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it 100%).

I think it would be a great option to research at least!

Good luck!

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 01-10-2005 at 09:12 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen2613
My dad has Diabetes type 2 and Heart Disease. He's finding that the diets that are for each cancel each other out.
DQ:

Since I have both type 2 and heart disease (MI at age 35), let me try to describe how I fixed the type 2 (asymptomatic now) and stabilized the heart disease aspect. Much of the reversal of the diabetes had to do with losing weight, but even more so, daily exercise is crucial--I was sedentary, about as active as a rock. The diet I started out following after the heart attack was low fat, and I still do follow this. The aim is to minimize saturate fat. Where I restrict myself, then, are things like prime rib (gone), fast foods (all hamburger joints...ground beef...gone). I took up eating soy-based foods. Almost all seafoods are great, just watch the portions. I eat no more than 4 oz of meat (salmon, tuna, shrimp, chicken) per meal. I know the AHA recommendation is 3 oz, but since I am exercising (running 3-6 mi daily, bicycling at 200W, 90+ rpm cadence for 30-60 min daily), I need a bit more calories than most. I have been getting into soups lately, things like carrot/parsnip, or even a zucchini gorgonzola soup. I do still have a bit of cheese (1 oz or so daily, if desired). If I eat bread, I control the portion to 1 medium roll or so, or 1 c. of rice. I am not trying to low carb it because I need carbs.

I don't think fruits are off limits to diabetics, but you need to control the portion and balance it out with other foods that contain some protein, and even a little fat (favoring the mono and polyunsaturated fats, if you can). If a type 2 exercises, there is normally (again, normally) a drop in blood sugar because the muscles will require the removal for energy. If he can exercise large muscle groups (legs, etc.--which is why I run and bike), then that gives you a lot more muscle (cells) to increase insulin sensitivity. This will go a long way in getting the baseline plasma glucose down, and you should observe a reduction in the overnight/next morning readings.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

The South Beach diet is very low in saturated fats, which is what he needs to be concerned with. Not trying to convince you of anything, just clarifying so other people don't get the wrong idea.

Closed Thread