It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question How do you eat your vegetables considering that it's winter etc??

Hi,
I'm always looking for good ideas and ways to get my veggies in. Now that it's winter time, I noticed raw brocolli looks and tastes bad, and the only good raw things I can eat are brocolli and carrots. The rest I cook. So, how do you dress yours and make them palatable(sp lol), and what kinds do you eat. Basically, I would like to see what kind of veggies you guys eat, and how do you make them. Veggie girl? Losec? Aunt Judy? Everybody?Thanks.

Oh, and is vegetable juice still healthy, like say like I drink two glasses a day and in addition one serving of veg, do you think that will still be considered healthy?

Last edited by Jess75; 01-10-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: How do you eat your vegetables considering that it's winter etc??

hey..i eat them all..i love them..i steam them most of the time, or sometimes ill throw some in when im making corn pasta..(brocoli)(rapini)..etc i just invent stuff..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

AmandaH HB User

I notice the same about brocolli, but I just had some for dinner. I steamed it with some carrots and zuccinni squash. It tasted much better cooked. Other great ways to get veggies - I had vegatable lasagna over the weekend. It was loaded with veggies - tomatoes in the sauce, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots and zuccinni. I had a small side salad with that - more veggies - romaine lettuce, tomato, orange pepper, cucumber. I am a salad lover, so I get most of my veggies that way. Half the time I use spinach and the other half a mixture of 2 or 3 types of lettuce. If my day is hectic and I don't get all my veggies in I drink reduced sodium V8. Oh yeah, I just thought of another way to get some veggies. I like to make fritattas or omelets for breakfast. You can put just about anything in them you like.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by AmandaH; 01-10-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

I just eat frozen mixed vegetables in the winter. I eat a lot more legumes and grains during this time. Some frozen fruit. It's never gourmet hehe.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Frozen veggies taste good and are sometimes more nutritious than raw ones! That's because they flash-freeze them when they're at their peak. Raw veggies often lose a lot of nutrients between harvesting and eating, even though they taste better than frozen (and MUCH better than canned).

Old 01-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #6

Lady_Raven HB User

I have found a recipe for homemade salad dressing that I love so it makes me want to eat salad. Eating salad has actually just become a habit for me. If I don't have one with dinner, I don't feel full.
I also make bean salad with garbonzo and kidney beans and throw cucumber, green pepper, red pepper and onion in with it.
Soup is another good thing to put veggies into, especially carrots, celery, zucchini, spinach, etc.
Stir fry and fajitas are so good and obviously require lots of veggies as well. This time of year I eat lots of peppers since most other veggies are out of season and very expensive.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Frozen spinach is about the only frozen veggie that I'll eat, and it's available year-round. It can be used in lasagna or rissotto rice, or served as a side dish with sauteed onions and sesame seeds or almonds. Around here brussels sprouts are cheap in the winter. So we've been eating a lot of them, waiting for the decent broccoli to come back in season.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hi,
I'm always looking for good ideas and ways to get my veggies in. Now that it's winter time, I noticed raw brocolli looks and tastes bad, and the only good raw things I can eat are brocolli and carrots. The rest I cook. So, how do you dress yours and make them palatable(sp lol), and what kinds do you eat. Basically, I would like to see what kind of veggies you guys eat, and how do you make them. Veggie girl? Losec? Aunt Judy? Everybody?Thanks.

Oh, and is vegetable juice still healthy, like say like I drink two glasses a day and in addition one serving of veg, do you think that will still be considered healthy?
Cabbage you can make slaw, brussels sprouts you can shred when raw and then saute lightly (almost raw!!), carrots, red and green pepppers and celery you can eat with some kind of pate or humous, sea veggies you can rehydrate (still raw), baby spinach is DELICIOUS still at this time of year and can be used as a base for any meal or in a small salad, bean sprouts in a wrap or in nori. Also, you can get a mixed sprout thingy for about $3 bucks at the healthfood store, it has sprouted beans and its really quite good. You can add it to a salad, to sandwiches, use it as a base for burgers or an egg salad or something.

I actually haven't noticed broccoli looking bad ately - some places yes, but I have been able to find good broccoli. Maybe you should look around. My local store has CRAP veggies and I thought the same about broccoli looking sorry, but I checked another store and they were bright and firm.

I do juice but only about once max twice a week. I mix 3 carrots, 2 celery stalk and one apple - all organic - and drink it on an empty stomach. Its supposed to be processed very well in that form. I'm not sure that twice a day would be good - some experts say 'too much sugar' and others say 'lots of nutrients' so I don't really know for sure.

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-11-2005 at 07:35 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

The main raw veggies I eat in the winter are romaine lettuce, cucumbers and fennel. I'm in the northeast, but half-way decent romaine is always available from California, and there are usually decent cukes and fennel in the store (though fennel was REALLY expensive two weeks ago and disappeared this week! Wonder where the fennel crops got wiped out!)

I use more frozen veggies in the winter, too. I also have read that since much of it is processed and frozen right where it is harvested, it is usually just as nutritious as fresh veggies that have travelled. But, of course, they also are not as flavorful as local, fresh you can get in the warm weather. So, I do more soup/stew-type things in the winter - with "fresh" (well, stored, I guess) winter squash, root veggies, then throw in whatever frozen (often pea pods). Fresh I might add kale, green beans or broccoli.

Or saute (I use butter/olive oil mix) a couple of cloves of garlic . . . then add chopped broccoli/beans/asparagus. Or stirfry the same veggies and add ginger and soy sauce. You could then add many kind of meat/chicken/fish to these.

I usually have eggs for breakfast, so will cook up frozen spinach, kale, whatever with a little salsa or onion for flavor and then add the eggs. (Of course, I tend to use frozen all year here, because I'm lazy in the a.m.!)

Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks guys!
I just don't like veggies too much and I'm always looking for some ideas, I love it! THanks guys!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Thanks guys!
I just don't like veggies too much and I'm always looking for some ideas, I love it! THanks guys!
huh!! Jess.. im lost now..You don't like veggies..?? mehhhhh tell me its not true..

Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
(female)

tdot HB User
Cool Re: How do you eat your vegetables considering that it's winter etc??

Try looking for frozen broccoli. I live in Canada and buy the President's Choice Frozen Broccoli Florets. It's great! Sometimes if I want to spice it up, I make a low fat cheese sauce to go with it. Basically all I do is make a roue with unbleached flour and olive oil, then add skim milk and skim milk cheese and often will add a little cumin and cayenne for spice! It's great!

Another good tip is using certain canned vegetables such as kernel corn and beets. They are tasty and chalk-full of great nutrients such as antioxiants and fibre.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
huh!! Jess.. im lost now..You don't like veggies..?? mehhhhh tell me its not true..

I do when I eat it with dip, or the cooked kind with butter or cheese. So I'm looking for some better ideas! I ate 3 servings today, I had a Pasta Primivara dinner by Amy's organic frozen dinner, and a serving of carrots and dip, and bean soup with veggies.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-11-2005 at 07:30 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
I do when I eat it with dip, or the cooked kind with butter or cheese. So I'm looking for some better ideas! I ate 3 servings today, I had a Pasta Primivara dinner by Amy's organic frozen dinner, and a serving of carrots and dip, and bean soup with veggies.
Hey Jess, I have an alternative to cheese sauce. This may sound a bit weird but it involves almonds and a product called Nutritional Yeast. If you're down for some unusual ingrediants for a tasty 'cheesy' sauce let me know and I'll post the recipe for you!!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Hey Jess, I have an alternative to cheese sauce. This may sound a bit weird but it involves almonds and a product called Nutritional Yeast. If you're down for some unusual ingrediants for a tasty 'cheesy' sauce let me know and I'll post the recipe for you!!
Okay Veggie Girl, THanks sooo much! Sounds good!

Closed Thread