It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 88
SMT12483 HB User
Question from a beginner dieter...

Ok I am not necessarily on a specific diet, but I have changed the way I eat. I am eating less white bread and carbs in general, I do not eat as much at dinner and more during the day and I walk about 2 miles a day burning about 300 calories (I Know it isn't a lot but I figured it is something). I think more reasonably about what I should eat and don't just eat anything that might look good and I try and stop myself before I feel full (which I never use to do). I am eating better snacks as well; fruits, veggies, etc. I don't even want to lose that much weight, I just wanted to start eating healthier and lose about 5-7 pounds really. I have been doing this probably for about a week and a half, maybe a little bit longer. I am still the same weight I was before though. At first I was kinda ****** and wondering if I was even doing any good.

So I guess I am wondering if I have to do more then what I am doing to really see a change or could this new way of eating be helping it just hasn't shown on the scale yet? I mean my body does feel different so I figured I lost at least one pound or SOMETHING. Any tips or anything would be appreciated, thanks.

Steph

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Question from a beginner dieter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMT12483
Ok I am not necessarily on a specific diet, but I have changed the way I eat. I am eating less white bread and carbs in general, I do not eat as much at dinner and more during the day and I walk about 2 miles a day burning about 300 calories (I Know it isn't a lot but I figured it is something). I think more reasonably about what I should eat and don't just eat anything that might look good and I try and stop myself before I feel full (which I never use to do). I am eating better snacks as well; fruits, veggies, etc. I don't even want to lose that much weight, I just wanted to start eating healthier and lose about 5-7 pounds really. I have been doing this probably for about a week and a half, maybe a little bit longer. I am still the same weight I was before though. At first I was kinda ****** and wondering if I was even doing any good.

So I guess I am wondering if I have to do more then what I am doing to really see a change or could this new way of eating be helping it just hasn't shown on the scale yet? I mean my body does feel different so I figured I lost at least one pound or SOMETHING. Any tips or anything would be appreciated, thanks.

Steph

What do you eat in an average day? You could start by writing down EVERYTHING you eat. Sometimes its easy to pack stuff away and later think "i didn't eat that much" but when we see it written down...we're surprised how much we ate.

But, I'd say, focus on stuff you CAN have and focus on protein for every meal - fish, lean chicken, tofu, nuts, beans etc. I'm not saying eat ONLY proteins, but when we strive to have a piece of lean, clean protein with each meal the carbs just kind of take care of themselves.

Portion control is important too. Maybe buy yourself a set of measuring cups just to be aware of what you eat. A 'portion' of something might be, say, 1/4 cup, but when you measure what you USUALLY eat you may be having 2 cups!! (think rice and pasta - its AMAZING how much of it we eat without realizing it)

Also, start reading - books, fitness/health magazines etc. I just read a book called 'You are what you eat' by Gillian McKeith and it really inspired me. Its not overly tecnhical and has a great section on common ailments and what the cause could be and what nutrition will help counteract it.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Question from a beginner dieter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMT12483
So I guess I am wondering if I have to do more then what I am doing to really see a change or could this new way of eating be helping it just hasn't shown on the scale yet?
You need a little more exertion than walking. If you're below 40 years old and in good health theres really no reason for you not to run instead of walk. To burn calories you gotta SWEAT AND PANT!!! Theres no easy way around it.

Also, do some light weight lifting. Muscles mass requires energy even when you're resting, so while you're in a moment of inactivity your muscles are still yelling 'feed me' and your body is sending that stores fat to satiate them. I'm not saying you have to become a body builder but building muscles tone will help you to burn more calories. Try buying a couple of 5 pound weights - they cost a couple of bucks a KMart and buy a fitness mag $3 and follow some of the exercises.

Good luck!

 
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1
mandyt HB User
Re: Question from a beginner dieter...

I am doing Weight Watchers. If you don't right down everything you eat you will be surprised what you do eat when you start writing things down. Also you have to watch your portions. That was my problem, I was not eating the correct portions. There are may sources to help with portion control, but I have found weight watchers to be the best. So for I have lost 7 pounds and need to take off alot more. Keep it up!

 
Old 01-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 88
SMT12483 HB User
Re: Question from a beginner dieter...

For breakfast I have a cup of cereal with skim milk. Then for lunch I will have a Dannon Light and Fit yogurt and also a fruit cup of some kind with also maybe some whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Or I might have an apple with peanut butter and some crackers with fruit also and I usually have a salad also. For dinner it is harder to control because I am home from college right now so I have to eat what my mom makes for the rest of the family, which is usually a lot of carbs (she is Polish, very big on bread). So I try to control what I eat at dinner though, I have more protein than carbs and also eat more veggies at dinner.

My other problem is I am a very fast eater, which usually means I don't even realize I am full until about 5 bites after I probably should have stopped eating. Also you are right about me running instead of walking, I have started to run during periods of my walking. Now that I think about it I guess while I have been eating healthier than I use to it may not directly go along with losing weight. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Steph

 
Old 01-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Question from a beginner dieter...

[QUOTE=SMT12483]
Quote:
For breakfast I have a cup of cereal with skim milk.
What kind of cereal?

Quote:
Then for lunch I will have a Dannon Light and Fit yogurt
Get rid of that processed crap and get yourself a tub of organic LIVE, PLAIN yoghurt. It'll help your digestion and your intestines and do you the world of good. Those 'light' yoghurts may have few calories but they're full of preservatives. Eat a yoghurt that contains ONLY yoghurt. Have your fruit with it and maybe sprinkle on some ground flax or some wheatgerm for fibre and your have a complete meal. The fruit should be all the sweetness you need for the fruit but to get you used to plain yoghurt, maybe add a DRIZZLE of honey - just to wean you off the fake-sweetened processed stuff.

Quote:
whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Or I might have an apple with peanut butter and some crackers with fruit also and I usually have a salad also.
Thats a lot of saturated fat and a lot of carbs. Couldn't you have some bean soup instead? or some lean chicken breast or grilled fish with a side of veggies?? I can't see that peanut butter, crackers or whole wheat bread is gonna do alot of good for you.

Quote:
For dinner it is harder to control because I am home from college right now so I have to eat what my mom makes for the rest of the family, which is usually a lot of carbs (she is Polish, very big on bread). So I try to control what I eat at dinner though, I have more protein than carbs and also eat more veggies at dinner.
Maybe just eat the healthy stuff that she makes - like veggies - and then open up a can of salmon or tuna - or heat up a veggie burger. You're not FORCED to eat bread just because its there - have a little discipline!!

Quote:
My other problem is I am a very fast eater
I've found I don't eat as fast if the tv isn't on. So many times I've sat and watched tv during eating and I hardly chew. When you eat, only eat and be mindful of eat mouth full.

You also have to remember that your stomach doesn't have teeth!!! If you don't break it down by chewing it into tiny pieces how can your stomach process it?? You should aim for 20+ chews for each mouth full. If you feel food going down your back you're not chewing enough.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Dieter's Tea? tajiii Weight Loss 2 04-09-2007 04:47 PM
Yo Yo dieter with family-help alouette9 Weight Loss 2 08-16-2005 01:30 PM
anal sex question pickle Sexual Health - General 17 10-13-2004 01:19 PM
Dieter's Tea goaliegirl35 Weight Loss 2 08-13-2004 09:41 AM
good video for beginner mary111 Exercise & Fitness 4 02-13-2004 08:02 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!