It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
(male)

Illegal Life HB User
How do I go about Lunch at school?

Well school started back and as you know some school lunches are just plain terrible health wise. I eat pretty healthy but I dont know if I should eat what they have for school lunch. Im debating whether to just drink the milk and not eat anything for lunch at school because our choices every day are as followed.... Fried Chicken Sandwich/Hamburger/Cheeseburger/Hot Ham and Cheese/Pizza/Steak Sandwich/Fried Fish FIlet... Anyway as you can see thats not the healthiest menu... Ive been just drinking the chocolate milk at school as my lunch even though its really not that good for you either.. like 26 sugars in a 8 ounce carton and it has high fructose corn syrup @_@. The other milk is all whole so not good either...

Anyway just asking should I be eating school lunch or just continue with drinking the milk and start back eating when I get home.. I generally try to eat 4-6 small meals a day as they say it keeps your metabolism up

Oh yeah didnt whether to post this on the exercise fitness board or this one. Its not like Im trying to lose weight or anything I mean hell m 5'9 134...

Last edited by Illegal Life; 01-12-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: How do I go about Lunch at school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illegal Life
Well school started back and as you know some school lunches are just plain terrible health wise. I eat pretty healthy but I dont know if I should eat what they have for school lunch. Im debating whether to just drink the milk and not eat anything for lunch at school because our choices every day are as followed.... Fried Chicken Sandwich/Hamburger/Cheeseburger/Hot Ham and Cheese/Pizza/Steak Sandwich/Fried Fish FIlet... Anyway as you can see thats not the healthiest menu... Ive been just drinking the chocolate milk at school as my lunch even though its really not that good for you either.. like 26 sugars in a 8 ounce carton and it has high fructose corn syrup @_@. The other milk is all whole so not good either...

Anyway just asking should I be eating school lunch or just continue with drinking the milk and start back eating when I get home.. I generally try to eat 4-6 small meals a day as they say it keeps your metabolism up

Oh yeah didnt whether to post this on the exercise fitness board or this one. Its not like Im trying to lose weight or anything I mean hell m 5'9 134...
OMG!! Offering that food to children whose bodies are growing and need nutrients is tantamount to child abuse!! You should go see the dean and demand healthier food.

Does your school have a microwave?? If not are you opposed to eating some room temperature food??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

omg// is the principle of that school a devil..??

Old 01-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
(male)

Illegal Life HB User

so uh what should i do just drink the milk @_@

Old 01-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
(male)

sbdot HB User

Brown bag it.

sbdot

Old 01-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

bring sandwiches

egg sandwich
tuna sandwich
cheese sandwich
fresh chicken sandwich
etc..

with raw veggies..and, fruits..banana, orange etc..
also bring some dried figs for good source of fiber..go

oh yeah..the bread better be good quality bread..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-12-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yah, can you pack a lunch for school? Why don't you do that?

Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Red face Re: How do I go about Lunch at school?

Yah, can you pack a lunch for school? Why don't you do that?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Smile Re: How do I go about Lunch at school?

Ok. get delimeat, select the highest fiber bread, ( whole wheat with honey..) and make yourself a lovely sandwhich. Use cheese if you want extra taste and calcium; but dont if you want to lower ur calorie intake. I Prefer grey poupon on my sands hehe, and always stick that sliver of lettuce in...

Ideas: Tuna (Blend Can o Tuna [DOLPHIN SAFE CMON NOW], SOME lowfat mayo, celery stick, and ground pepper.)
Roast beef-
Turkey
Chicken?
Ham...satfat
ehm...

Last edited by nedfrin; 01-12-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

there'e to much crap in deli meats..unless you get the Pro****tto or the Turkey..the rest are all garbage..

Old 01-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illegal Life
so uh what should i do just drink the milk @_@
No!! You have to take your own food.

If you have a microwave, you can take stuff like bean soups or if not take foods like veggies, salad, maybe a can of tuna or an individual pack of salmon.

What foods do you like? If I knew what you liked to eat it'd be easier to suggest food that keep and reheat well enough to take for lunch.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

How about cooking up some oats (the grain oat, not oatmeal. Or some brown rice, or quinoa. or barley), steaming some broccoli, red and green peppers and (if youre not a veggie) some chicken or fish. Sprinkle a litle soy sauce on it and mix it all together and put in a container. This travels well as I often take this with me to the gym so I can eat a nutritious meal afterwards. I eat it cold but you could warm it up.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

You could also buy some veggie burgers take them with you. Either eat it without bun with some veggies or a whole wheat bun with salad.

Take a little ziplock bag with handfuls of RAW nuts and seeds - cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. And, of course, take an apple, pear, banana or some berries. This way you won't go past your hunger and will keep your metabalism moving.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Chop up some veggies (in big chunks) such as peppers, onions and yams and add a little oil - mix up with hands so all are coated. Put in baking pan in oven and cover with foil. If you eat meat, maybe put a chicken breast in there with your favorite seasoning. When its done put it in a container and you're got tomorrows lunch.

Also, maybe if you encourge your family to eat healthier you can just take leftovers and won't have to prepare your lunches separately.

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-13-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
(female)

Icheer999 HB User

Hi!

I bring my lunch to school every day. I would suggest a sandwich, a fruit and a vegetable, and a water. If all your eating at school is milk, that is not healthy. If I ever do that, I go home and I am starving so I end up eating a lot of things I wish I wouldn't have. Try to bring your lunch, that way you will be eating right, and not getting unhealthy.

Closed Thread