It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #1

Cuppycake HB User
To the vegetarians

What are your favorite vegetarian meals? I'm trying to cut back on meat and I need some ideas. Thank you!

Old 01-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: To the vegetarians

My favorite is Black Bean Pancakes with corn salsa and roasted red pepper sauce (phew, what a bloody mouthfull!!)

For the corn salsa: Roast some corn in a dry pan till they get nice brown fleck on them (I use green giant frozen corn and the cob coz its so delcioiusly sweet) Add corn to bowl and mix in a little chopped jalepeno, onion, cilantro and squeeze of lime juice. Set aside.

Sauce: Cut up a couple of red peppers into large strips and put under the grill for about 10 minutes til their skin gets black. Then put into plastic bag and let them sweat - the skins will just peel off. Put in blender and liquidize. You can add a spot of soy milk to get it moving if it sticks.

Pancakes: Empty can of goya black beans (not flavored, just plain) into seive and rinse off. Put in bowl and mash with fork or a processor. Add about 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, small chopped onion, and fresh cilantro (and garlic if you like). Add little s&p if you like. Form into patties and cook in little oil for a couple of minutes on each side. You have to use spatula and be careful as they fall apart easily

To serve: Pour a little of the red pepper sauce on plate, put 2 pancakes on top and them garnish with a little or the corn. DELCIOUS!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #3

llamamuffinmama HB User

hi cuppycake.
do you want ideas of things to look for prepackaged or order out, or were you looking for ideas for things to make at home? (or both, hehe).

some of my favorites are:

felafel with veggies and hummus in a pita pocket

spaghetti with vegetarian "meatballs" (i like nate's brand)

vegetable stir fry with cashews and tofu over rice, noodles, or quinoa

tofu and veggie lasagne with soy cheese

veg chilli and cornbread

veg baked beans and veggie dogs

sliced avocado sandwich with dijon mustard, lettuce, tomato, and other veggies. sometimes i add baked tofu, too.

soups! tomato garlic soup with rice, black bean soup, thai coconut milk soup, lentil soup, no-chicken noodle soup...

tempeh burger, boca burger, or other veg burger with all the fixins

pancakes/french toast (i make without eggs or dairy) and veggie breakfast sausage links or fakin' bacon and maple syrup.

veggie fajitas! sometimes just with veggies and salsa/guacamole, sometimes with seitan or tofu grilled in, too. (seitan is also called "wheat meat" and is a great "meaty" substitute for actual meat, made from wheat gluten)

rice, bean, and veggie burritos

gardenburger riblets (vegetarian "ribs" in barbecue sauce) with a baked potato and mushroom gravy and green beans

pasta with basil pesto and sauteed vegetables and garlic bread

I COULD GO ON AND ON... lol

Congrats on cutting back on meat/including more veggie food in your diet!

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 01-13-2005 at 11:12 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

the avocado sandwhich ...yum

Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

there are great vegetarian cookbook and magazine at a local bookstore. You can find also find some great ideas online.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

i had the avocado sandwich the other day.. so good!!! I smash the avocado and add spices and flavors.. better than just grilled cheese.

Closed Thread