It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Omg!!! Cooking With Olive Oil? Hydrogenates?????

What! I mean yeah I know oils turn into hydrogenated fats when they're used for frying things!!! But I had no idea..................is it bad for baking too? Any cooking with it okay? I ALWAYS bake with olive oil!!! How about liquid-olive-oil-butter (I know it sounds weird)? How about the normal olive oil? Omg...can I turn the heat on pretty high when baking then or do I have to put the fire like way way low so the unsaturated fats wont hydrogenate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I'm so unhealthy! Omg. I thought I had eliminated all trans fats from my diet! I'm getting them in daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me this isn't true...and answer my other questions too please thanks.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Omg!!! Cooking With Olive Oil? Hydrogenates?????

I've read that coconut oil can be heated to a high temperature without affecting it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Yes me too, but it's loaded with saturated fats.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
Yes me too, but it's loaded with saturated fats.

What a choice we have, eh?!! Ether use olive oil that will change chemically under heat or coconut oil that won't change but has saturated fats!! sigh!!

I use canola - I think thats about as good as it gets. Oh, and also not turning the heat up too much.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Oh okay, I'll cook with the lowest fire from now on... it may take longer but that's okay.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I cook in coconut oil because when it cooks at high heats it has like double bonds and doesn't break when cooking like olive oil does. Google in the benefits of coconut oil because there are SO many benefits with this oil, you'd be suprised!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

There are always ways to cook without oil but I agree with Jessica. Always cook with a saturated fat. Cooking with an oil doesn't hydrogenate it. Hydrogenating is a special process that simply heating it doesn't do but heating it will denature the oil and make it more cancerous than it already is.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
What a choice we have, eh?!! Ether use olive oil that will change chemically under heat or coconut oil that won't change but has saturated fats!! sigh!!
i've heard that olive oil isn't as damaged as other oils during cooking. also, although coconut oil contains high levels of saturated fat, the form of saturated fat is slightly different to the saturated fat found in meat products. it isn't actually as harmful to the body as meat saturaed fat.

Closed Thread