It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Can healthy eating kill your apetite??

I've been eating very healthy for past month - and especially so for the past couple of weeks but have noticed that I can't eat as much as i used to.

I used to EASILY put away a Subway footlong with chips and soda (what can I say, I'm a growing girl!! ) and STILL be able to go home and eat more chips or come home and have a monstrous portion of pasta and then still have a sandwich afterwards (and dessert)

But lately, I'm finding that when mealtimes come around I have to make myself eat. The only time I'm hungry is when I've just worked out.

Whats going on??!! I used to be such a pig??!!

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-13-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User
Re: Can healthy eating kill your apetite??

Yep, eating healthy can make you eat less. Foods with fiber in them especially make you stay full for longer. But, your body takes a bit longer to digest the healthy foods and take out the nutrients. Junk food just flushes through your system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

I don't know how old you are but once you reach a certain age and you stop growing I think your appetite slows down. The other thing about eating regular food is those foods have chemical additives designed to stimulate your appetite and make you hungry again soon after you finish. Also a lot of the times when people transition to eating healthier they end up eating less, because of all the thinking and preparation required, so your metabolism may have simply adjusted. but I don't think it is anything to worry about unless you are underweight.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehtab
The other thing about eating regular food is those foods have chemical additives designed to stimulate your appetite and make you hungry again soon after you finish.
SOOOO true!! Its amazing how much junk food I can eat without ever really being hungry in the first place. Put a whole slab or cheese with crackers, pasta with cream sauce, or bread and dipping oil and I'll just eat 'til I explode!!

Although, food manufactures do that on purpose don't they - add a careful mix of ingredients that are known to cause craving and...bam...they got you hooked!! They're like crack dealers!! "just one little taste - its won't hurt...."

Old 01-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecpcpj
Foods with fiber in them especially make you stay full for longer. But, your body takes a bit longer to digest the healthy foods and take out the nutrients. Junk food just flushes through your system.
You got that right!! After a healthy meal I can't even THINK about food for another 3+ hours.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
(male)

sbdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecpcpj
Yep, eating healthy can make you eat less. Foods with fiber in them especially make you stay full for longer. But, your body takes a bit longer to digest the healthy foods and take out the nutrients. Junk food just flushes through your system.
I call it: "Getting more bulk for your buck!"

sbdot

Old 01-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

the companies making this crap in pretty colorfull boxes ain't gonna fool me.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

So, I should force myself to eat at meal-times?? If I don't, I'll probably only eat twice a day and thats not enough.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Quote:
SOOOO true!! Its amazing how much junk food I can eat without ever really being hungry in the first place. Put a whole slab or cheese with crackers, pasta with cream sauce, or bread and dipping oil and I'll just eat 'til I explode!!

Although, food manufactures do that on purpose don't they - add a careful mix of ingredients that are known to cause craving and...bam...they got you hooked!! They're like crack dealers!! "just one little taste - its won't hurt...."
Yup and people become addicted to everyday, average fooods. I think this is a big reason why it is hard for people to make the transistion to healthy foods because it doesn't address the addiction. The foods don't satisfy them on the biochemical level. So people actually go through withdrawal, especially when it comes to refined sugars.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Quote:
So, I should force myself to eat at meal-times?? If I don't, I'll probably only eat twice a day and thats not enough.
Well it would make sense to if the meals you are eating twice a day aren't enough to sustain you...atleast until you can figure out why you've lost your appetite.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Now that I think about it, this has happened to me. It was psychological. Psychologically speaking if something is unappealing it can kill your appetite so that just shows you how much the mind has an effect on our appetite. Preparing your own meals, especially if there is a lot of work involved, can become tedious and associate eating with a chore and you may lose your appetite superficially. If you can afford to I'd try splurging and eating out somewhere for a day and see if your appetite doesn't come back, or buy already prepared meals somewhere. Because if you're not eating enough you should be hungry. You might not have cravings but you should have a base hunger. If this doesn't work I'd try eating something new, something you haven't eaten in a while that might be enticing, like a fatty piece of meat or something.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Doesn't your stomach shrink from eating smaller portions. Like if you were eating alot of food before you started eating healthy, a result would be more stomach room. I noticed that too, cause when I do splurge and have some pizza, I'm full off 2 pieces! LOL Is the "stomach shrinking" thing a myth or what?

Old 01-14-2005, 05:06 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

that is alot of gluten Jess.. it will stick to your intestine leaving you full and, bloated for many hours...also very mucos forming..you should double think on that..

Old 01-14-2005, 06:22 PM   #14
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

I don't think your stomach will become any smaller than what it is supposed to be naturally. Your stomach can probably stretch to accomodate larger portions but I've never heard of that. The less you eat the less you will be able to tolerate, whether it is because your stomach physically shrinks or not. You can actually kill yourself by fasting and then eating too much. I think our bodies adapt to scarcity, less food by lowering metabolism and taming hunger otherwise our ancestors would have gone insane during bouts of starvation. You can see this for yourself when you fast. It takes about a couple days for your hunger to go away.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
that is alot of gluten Jess.. it will stick to your intestine leaving you full and, bloated for many hours...also very mucos forming..you should double think on that..
Yah, I know, but I like to eat pizza SOMETIMES, ya know! I only eat pizza like 2x a month. I guess the cheese and lactose could cause some problems. I didn't know that gluten is mucos forming,eeeeeeewwwww.

Closed Thread