It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 11:38 AM   #1

anton2 HB User
Protien (Daily intake)

I was just wondering how much protien you are supposed to have a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Protien (Daily intake)

Something in the realm of 60 grams per day will usually meet minimum needs with a safety buffer.

It depends a lot on your "growth" needs. A growing teen, a pregnant woman, or a bodybuilder making gains will need more, an elderly person or a sedentary man less. A large person (not fat) will need somewhat more than a small person. A sick person might need more to make antibodies and repair damaged tissue.

An excess over the body's needs can be burned for energy as is, converted to glucose, or stored as fat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #3

Bmxnangelbabe HB User

I have heard that in many places you are supposed to be getting 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight IF trying to gain muscle. If not, you are supposed to be getting at least .5 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

tdot HB User

For a normal healthy person 0.8-1.0g per kg of body weight is adequate. This is what common literature shows.

For example:
I weight 63 kg, therefore I require 50-63 g protein per day.

NOTE: If a person is overweight (BMI greater than 24.9), Ideal Body Weight should be used for the above calculation.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

In fitness mags they say whatever your weight is in pounds, that should be your protein intake in grams.

Health mags say that whatever your weight is in pounds that you should HALF it and that should be your protein intake in grams.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

tdot HB User

I wouldn't go by fitness mags as they tend to recommend high intakes of protein that our bodies will rid itself of anyway.

To get kg - divide pounds by 2.2.

So basically divide your body weight in pounds by two to get approximate daily protein needs.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot
I wouldn't go by fitness mags as they tend to recommend high intakes of protein that our bodies will rid itself of anyway.

To get kg - divide pounds by 2.2.

So basically divide your body weight in pounds by two to get approximate daily protein needs.
I agree, In my opinion, 1gr per pound of body weight sounds excessive. But i'm no expert and probably get half of that, which is close to 1g per kilogram which is recommended for health.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i never count that..but, i know im eating protien like beans, meat, cottage cheese..etc..nuts

Old 01-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

Yes, the amount of protein needed by healthy people is small. Most people in America eat too much protein which makes them sick and diseased. Protein needs are generally low; roughly 15% to 20% of the day's calories so it is extremely simple to get enough protein from an average vegetarian diet. It depends on your body weight. Adults need about 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Even when building muscle, your body will only use a certain amount of protein that you eat, the rest is broken down and leaves the body which places a burden on your kidneys.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
(female)

tdot HB User

Mehtab, that is absolutely correct!

Old 01-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehtab
Yes, the amount of protein needed by healthy people is small. Most people in America eat too much protein which makes them sick and diseased. Protein needs are generally low; roughly 15% to 20% of the day's calories so it is extremely simple to get enough protein from an average vegetarian diet. It depends on your body weight. Adults need about 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Even when building muscle, your body will only use a certain amount of protein that you eat, the rest is broken down and leaves the body which places a burden on your kidneys.
My diet consists of 30-40% of kcal from protein. OMG. Am I gonna get sick? I'm trying to lose weight.... 115 at 5'2. I need to lose 5 last pounds but they are the hardest to get rid of so I'm gonna have to go hardcore dieting + exercise. But its not bad is it?

Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-18-2005 at 07:20 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
My diet consists of 30-40% of kcal from protein. OMG. Am I gonna get sick? I'm trying to lose weight.... 115 at 5'2. I need to lose 5 last pounds but they are the hardest to get rid of so I'm gonna have to go hardcore dieting + exercise. But its not bad is it?
Plus you exercise so no you won't get sick and I think that's the norm anyways isn't it? BTW, good job on the weight loss.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-18-2005 at 07:32 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Plus you exercise so no you won't get sick and I think that's the norm anyways isn't it? BTW, good job on the weight loss.
lol phew!!! Thanks same to you.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Another point that is overlooked, when the body breaks down used muscle, blood, tendons and bones the protein isn't tossed out but rather it is disassembled into it's component amino acids and the body reasssembles these acids to form fresh new protein to meet it's needs. So the NET dietary protein needed is only to replace the small amount that is irretrievably lost.

As a bare, bare minimum with no safety factor, I've seen replacement numbers as low as 20-30 grams.
All estimates like my 60 grams or the .8 per kilogram include a LARGE safety factor of at least 100%.

People who eat 100-200 grams of protein are making VERY expensive, ammonia filled urine.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-18-2005 at 10:18 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Another point that is overlooked, when the body breaks down used muscle, blood, tendons and bones the protein isn't tossed out but rather it is disassembled into it's component amino acids and the body reasssembles these acids to form fresh new protein to meet it's needs. So the NET dietary protein needed is only to replace the small amount that is irretrievably lost.

People who eat 100-200 grams of protein are making VERY expensive, ammonia filled urine.
Umm... I'm not english so I don't understand (we get biology in dutch and all) but does this mean I'm getting in too much protein then? I get in an average of 100 grams of protein a day, which makes an average of 30% of kcal.

Closed Thread