It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Cashew Binge!!

I just got home from a very very stressful day and made a healthy, satisfying dinner. A small salad with tomatoes and garbanzos and grilled eggplant with marinara sauce and fat free mozarella cheese.
Then, I decided to slice up an apple and have it with some yogurt....sounded great until I found the HONEY TOASTED CASHEWS! I ended up crushing a bunch of them up in my yogurt as I also took handfuls of them to eat plain. I must've eaten 500 calories worth (random guess)!
I don't feel horribly about it, but I just feel like I need some justification. I know it's because I was stressed, but it might also be because my body was actually craving the fat/calories...??? What do you think?
Please tell me that everyone does this sometimes and that it's ok!

Old 01-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Cashew Binge!!

Yes, I definitely think we crave foods like nuts and high fatty foods for a reason. Whether it's because of our mood, or what our body needs, I do believe our brain signals cravings for certain foods. If you think it's because you were craving it because of lack of thereof, then it is probably why you ate a lot of nuts. Our bodies need to consume about 20-30% of fat in our daily diet everyday. Obviously, you were thinking you needed the fat because the rest of your diet was "lower in fat" so put that behind you and tell yourself you "needed" that. Nuts are very good for you too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks, Jessica. I think you're right. And somehow it feels better to get a ton of fat and calories from something like nuts and not a hot fudge sundae (like I did last week...haha)!!
Do you think I need to cut back today or should I just move on and keep it normal?

Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Thanks, Jessica. I think you're right. And somehow it feels better to get a ton of fat and calories from something like nuts and not a hot fudge sundae (like I did last week...haha)!!
Do you think I need to cut back today or should I just move on and keep it normal?
Well, I guess it depends on your goals. I think your looking to gain weight, so it depends on how much fat and calories you consume everyday.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

When you crave a food you are actually craving the nutrients that are in that food. Like iron, protein, fat, B12,D etc. When people go on diets they do realize even though they are eating healthy that they are depriving their body of something it needs.

Jenteal

Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
(female)

Cherimee HB User

OH MY GOD!!!! I have been dieting I and also feel in love with honey roasted cashews too!!!!! It must be a conspiracy... (smile) I went to Walmart to find that largest can I could because I could only find them in the little bags.... now I am overdosing on them as well.... I told myself I may get fat on them alone (trying to diet) somedays I get by on just a salad and cashews for the rest of the day... it's funny to hear the same story from someone else.... Are the a good source of protein??? If so that's good....

Old 01-23-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

That's great to hear! I thought my addiction was something to be worried about. Haha. Nuts have a lot of protein and lots of "good" fats. I find that when I eat a lot of nuts I don't crave "bad" fats, which is a plus.
Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoy Honey Toasted Cashews just as much as I do. Yum!!!!

Closed Thread