It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User
Amino acids question?

I've recently started taking the amino acids L-Arginine and L-lysine and was wondering if it is okay to take them together or seperately between meals through out the day,which is what i've been doing because i didn't know if by empty stomach that meant no food or no anything.Thanx Also can I take them with a muti-vitamin too?

Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Amino acids question?

I did a fairly long and expensive stint with arginine super-supplementation (along with ornithine) with the hopes of increasing growth hormone release yielding muscle growth and enhanced fat burn.
My conclusion was that the whole separate amino acid regimen was an expensive scam. Only my wallet got thinner and definitely NOT muscular.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-16-2005 at 05:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

So I can take them together then?

Old 01-17-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

My understanding is that amino acid supplements need to be take away from meals, but you could take the two together.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 01-17-2005 at 07:02 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I did a fairly long and expensive stint with arginine super-supplementation (along with ornithine) with the hopes of increasing growth hormone release yielding muscle growth and enhanced fat burn.
My conclusion was that the whole separate amino acid regimen was an expensive scam. Only my wallet got thinner and definitely NOT muscular.
Lenin I agree with you on THIS, I'm saying that cause I'm a little confused about the 2% of fat a day if its efa's but maybe you'll explain. I'm thinking you meant to put a zero there. These amino acids are found in the foods we eat, like meats and protein shakes. Unless your a vegitarian, I wouldn't waist my money either. If anything, try to supplement your diet with whey protein which is the best protein that the muscles assimilate. There is no need to add more amino acids to the diet unless, like I said, you don't consume animal products. Wouldn't one have to continuously consume these amino acids once the goal is attained to maintain it? I dunno, but I also think extra amino acids are a scam. Even my professor said it, especially about tryptophan aiding in sleep. THere was a study or something proving that this wasn't so.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-17-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Who are you guys reading . . . or what is the plan . . . that you think extra amino acids are a scam? Have you ever read anything by Julia Ross? I find her guidelines really helpful. And, according to her, the goal is healing . . . in other words, eventually you go off the extra amino acids.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Who are you guys reading . . . or what is the plan . . . that you think extra amino acids are a scam? Have you ever read anything by Julia Ross? I find her guidelines really helpful. And, according to her, the goal is healing . . . in other words, eventually you go off the extra amino acids.
Well, I'm actually referring to what my professor said about the amino acids. Maybe they are helpful for some, but my professor said there were studies done and that extra amino acids were irrelevant. I'll check her out, thanks.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

No need to base opinions on advertising CLAIMS.

I tried high dose arginine and FOUND they are a scam, and an expensive one at that. There's no substitute for experience: beats another pop book seller's claims any day...or worse another WEIDER ad in MUSCLE AND FITNESS!

Many studies have found that extrememly unbalanced amino acids are unavailable for constituting new protein and are merely burned off or turned to fat!

My apologies to anyone who thinks that Pearson and Shaw (large proponents of amino acid "therapy" with their LIFE EXTENSION empire) and their devoted followers, are anything but nutsy quacks, RICH nutsy quacks!

These "drugs" are a major ripoff!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-19-2005 at 07:24 AM.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
(female)

tdot HB User

I agree. Unless you are vegetarian or have low intakes of protein foods, taking amino acids are a waste of money. You will get enough of the essential amino acids from the food you eat as well as your body synthesizes some as well.

I take L-Lysine (1000 mg/day) but it is to prevent cold sores. I have found that it works pretty well.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

It seems there is much going on in the name of amino acid supplements. Yeah, I see Pearson and Shaw have quite a little money making venture going there. But the approach with which I am familiar requires checking a book (or books) about of the library (free, in my case) and buying one or several supplements that are not expensive at all, as supplements go.

Old 01-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

AuntJudy,
Could I borrow a few hundred grand?
I found arginine in the 6-10 gram a day range to be QUITE expensive and ornithine even WORSE, and that's only a teeny component of the expense of "Life Extension."

Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Lenin, I understand you got yourself suckered into some sort of expensive supplements program. It is always a shame when such things happen.

The amino acid regime with which I am familiar and which I found helpful is quite different. It does not involve 6-10 grams of arginine (I don't think it even uses arginine), it does not involve 6-10 grams of ANY amino acid. You would not need a few hundred grand for my program. A few grand would cover it for a lifetime, with some left over.

Not all amino acid supplement programs are the same. It would be a shame if someone dismissed amino acid supplement that are potentially helpful based on a post saying they are all expensive . . . it simply is not true.

People need to investigate and evaluate programs and regimes!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #13

llamamuffinmama HB User

re: "unless you're vegetarian", being vegetarian doesn't mean you need to supplement with amino acids or with protein in any way. most people on the standard american diet get about 3 times too much protein as it is. vegetarians get plenty of all the essential amino acids from a varied plant based diet. even vegans, which is what i am. it's no problem.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #14
(female)

tdot HB User

I agree with you there, however there are MANY individuals who become vegetarian because it is vogue to do so and they do not research how to eat properly on such a diet. Believe me, I see it every day.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #15

llamamuffinmama HB User

i'm active in the vegetarian movement so i know over 100 vegetarians and vegans, easily, and not a single one protein deficient. in fact, overall, we seem to be a lot healthier than most of the meat eaters i know. no real research or planning required. but of course, you could theoretically be vegetarian and eat nothing but french fries and coca cola, which wouldn't be too good, so...

Closed Thread