It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #1

anton2 HB User
Protien Bars Question

Hi everyone. Since the first of the month my resolution like so many other people is to get fit with excercise and eating right. I am really new to the healthy type of lifestyle.
Anyway I have tried protien bars in the past and hated them because they usually taste AWFUL. My friend was told by a dietician that Carb Fit bars are delicious and she could have one every day for a sanck when she felt the need to trick herself into eating something that tasted like chocolate. So I tried them and love them too.
My question is, is it ok to have it as a snack (between my lunch and dinner snack) or should it be used as a meal replacement. It has 15 grams of protien, 210 calories and 7.1 grams of fat, also 23 grams of carbs. Also when is the best time to eat it because I ususally excercise around 12:30pm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
BTW- these bars are awesome. They taste just like reeses peices peanut butter cups--they are new and have been selling out like crazy around here. I had to do a special order at wal-mart to get some.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Protien Bars Question

Eat it before or after working out - if its not convenient to eat real food.

I'm not such a huge fan of manufactured 'food' and it is after all a lab concoction - its not really 'food'.

I have a couple of those bars in my locker at the gym so that if I can't make it home to have a real meal - with protein and carbs - then at least I can replenish what I expended with the bar. But really, its a last resort.

I dunno, thats just my opinion.

And regarding snacks, you should aim for something a little more nutritious and natural like some nuts or fruit or even some fish!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I just wanted to add, substituting junk food ie chocolate/reeses peanut butter cups for something that tastes similar ie protein bar is not really addressing the problem of why you're craving something sweet in the first place. Its a bit like drug addicts who take medication to wean themselves off illegal drugs but then become addicted to the legal ones. They haven't yet gottent the craving out of their system, they're just replaced it with something else.

I know this is an extreme example, but all that Atkins fake sugar, fake flour, fake chips, fake meal replacement etc is not much better than the real high-sugar original.

Give real food a try and limit protein bars for emmergencies when your post-workout bod needs replenishment.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I eat one everyday, LOL, and it's kind of like my saving grace, however I do eat a cheating dessert once and a while. ANyways, I really really crave sweets in the morning, especially with my coffee, and I've been eating "Zone bars" and later some fruit or veg, then like oatmeal and a protein shake, then like veggies and lean meat or burrito throughout the day, etc etc. WHat I'm saying is, I eat a balanced diet and TOTALLY ENJOY my peanut butter "Zone" bar in the morning with my coffee( I know coffee ain't healthy but I only have 2 cups in the morning and I tried giving it up but it's so hard and I like it, so what the hey!) It has omega 3's in it, 7 g of fat, 210 calories, 22g of carbs 13g of sugar, and is way better than a candy bar and the bar is all natural. So no they aren't the BEST but surely aren't the worst and if your diet is mainly clean, then I would enjoy. To the original poster, which one's are you referring too. Veggie girl, what kind do you eat?

Last edited by Jess75; 01-19-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Veggie girl, what kind do you eat?
I'm not even sure which kind!! I think I've tried the Zone and another called - I think - Pure Protein.

I understand why people eat them - I do sometimes myself - but it just doesn't feel right

Old 01-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #6

anton2 HB User

Hi Jess, the one's I buy are called ZONE PERFECT-210 cal-7.1 gr. of fat and 23 carbs. Peanut butter crunch. I like you also need something sweet in the afternoon around 2:00pm with my coffee break- and I do eat clean for the rest of the day.
My original question was is it ok to have it as a snack after I work out, or is it considered too many cal. to be a sanck. Are they intended to be a meal replacement--cause that what it says on the wrapper--so I was just curious cause I don't want to overdue it. Thanks veggie girl and jessicca.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton2
Hi Jess, the one's I buy are called ZONE PERFECT-210 cal-7.1 gr. of fat and 23 carbs. Peanut butter crunch. I like you also need something sweet in the afternoon around 2:00pm with my coffee break- and I do eat clean for the rest of the day.
My original question was is it ok to have it as a snack after I work out, or is it considered too many cal. to be a sanck. Are they intended to be a meal replacement--cause that what it says on the wrapper--so I was just curious cause I don't want to overdue it. Thanks veggie girl and jessicca.
Yah, I eat ZONE PERFECT, that's what I meant to say.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

the ones i get are called Elev8 Me bars.

search for this>> Elev8 Me

Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-19-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton2
I think its good enough to be a MEAL after workout!! Or at least for an hour or so until you get to eat real food. If you having a really good workout - cardio and weight training - then i shouldn't think it would be too many calories.

Closed Thread