It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
Inactive

guineapig HB User
Question vitamin absorption techniques?

A friend of mine recommended an (almost?) all-natural effervescent water tablet just LOADED with vitamins and herbs. Mega-dosage of vitamin C in it, a daily supply of A and E, some magnesium, zinc, selenium, potassium, and herbs such as Echinacea and ginger. It seems to pep up my energy level every time that I take it so far !

My question is thus: Could the practice of allowing vitamins and herbs dissolve in bicarbonate soda water improve my bodies' ability to digest (absorb) those vitamins and herbs? I mean, we ALL hear those stories about many typical OTC 'mega-vitamins' coming out with our waste, half-digested . Could there be a way in which I could experiment with allowing a mix to digest in soda water (this particular pill runs about $7 for 10 servings !)? Is it possible that my body composition, or digestive system (not that I have many instances of needing antacid tabs, or anything, buuut?) requires something to help speed along absorption ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: vitamin absorption techniques?

You pose a very interesting question - I just wish I knew the answer!!

But I do know that because of a digestive problems, a lot of the goodness in our food is never utilized

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Lightbulb Re: vitamin absorption techniques?

TwinLab manufacters their multivitamin in gelatin capsules.

You should look into it...

because I heard tablet multivitamins usually dont digest.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Question Re: vitamin absorption techniques?

does this mean that my taking high strength "super one" from holland barret is completely pointless asi'm not getting the extra levels of vits?!!!! if so. i'll stop, and watch my diet more closely!

Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #5

turl HB User
Re: vitamin absorption techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig
A friend of mine recommended an (almost?) all-natural effervescent water tablet just LOADED with vitamins and herbs. Mega-dosage of vitamin C in it, a daily supply of A and E, some magnesium, zinc, selenium, potassium, and herbs such as Echinacea and ginger. It seems to pep up my energy level every time that I take it so far !

My question is thus: Could the practice of allowing vitamins and herbs dissolve in bicarbonate soda water improve my bodies' ability to digest (absorb) those vitamins and herbs?
I don't think so......I *think* the stomach needs to use its acid to digest the pills. If you use something like sodium bicarb, you're suppressing the acid. I know my magnesium citrate fizzes on its own in water....so maybe a citrate is used as one of the minerals in that effervescent tablet you're talking about.

Tab

Closed Thread