It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Highest Nutrient Snack Food

I always eat a huge breakfast thats healthy, tried low GI, and i am still becoming alittle tired/confuzed mid morning.
Dont ask me about what i eat... its fine, just list some snacks that are really high in everything, and it is finals weeks, so i MUST have brainfood. today my snack was a balance bar- because fruit and a pb samwhich didnt work last time.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Highest Nutrient Snack Food

maybe you have a food intolerance of some sort. what do you eat EXACTLY? or maybe you're eating too much in one go. regardless of GI rating, an extra large meal will fill you up but uses up a lot of nerve energy to digest- so much so that you may not have enough to awake properly afterwards. so try eating a slighlty smaller breakfast and more snacks afterwards.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 01-26-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

try this:-

for breakfast brain food eat oily fish, such as mackeral, kippers etc. oily fish is a good source of protein (amino-acids essential for cognitive funtion) and omega 3 fatty acid (this EFA makes up a large percentage of brain cells). eat the fish with wholemeal bread (complex carbohydrate will provide sustained energy to your brain as well as body). drink raw vegetable/friut juice with it. try carrots, celery, cucumber, apples, ginger. raw juice is great for energy as it is contains not only concentrated levels of vitamins and minerals in a form that is very easily digestible but also high amounts of food enzymes, which will energise you and will also help with the digestion process as they have a similar action to your bodies own digestive enzymes. don't drink any other fluids with meals. water simply dilutes your digestive enzymes, meaning they are less efficient in their role of digesting your food, meaning you obtain less nutrients from it. juicers cost around forty pounds but you'll save money in the long run (cheaper to juice your own than buy it) and RAW juice is more beneficial than juice from the supermarket shelf. plus, it means you can create the exact recipes you want.
as for your snacks, eat dried fruit with nuts and seeds. the fruit provides fructose to raise flagging sugar levels and contains good levels of vitamins and minerals. the nuts and seeds contain protein and unsaturated fat, both vital for cognitive function. they will also serve the purpose of lowering the GI value of the snack as a WHOLE to prevent the fructose in the fruit from causing blood sugar level fluctuations. pumpkin seeds are of particular use as they are high in omega 3 EFA.

happy munching!!!

Last edited by ratboy83; 01-26-2005 at 03:59 AM.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
try this:-

for breakfast brain food eat oily fish, such as mackeral, kippers etc. oily fish is a good source of protein (amino-acids essential for cognitive funtion) and omega 3 fatty acid (this EFA makes up a large percentage of brain cells). eat the fish with wholemeal bread (complex carbohydrate will provide sustained energy to your brain as well as body). drink raw vegetable/friut juice with it. try carrots, celery, cucumber, apples, ginger. raw juice is great for energy as it is contains not only concentrated levels of vitamins and minerals in a form that is very easily digestible but also high amounts of food enzymes, which will energise you and will also help with the digestion process as they have a similar action to your bodies own digestive enzymes. don't drink any other fluids with meals. water simply dilutes your digestive enzymes, meaning they are less efficient in their role of digesting your food, meaning you obtain less nutrients from it. juicers cost around forty pounds but you'll save money in the long run (cheaper to juice your own than buy it) and RAW juice is more beneficial than juice from the supermarket shelf. plus, it means you can create the exact recipes you want.
as for your snacks, eat dried fruit with nuts and seeds. the fruit provides fructose to raise flagging sugar levels and contains good levels of vitamins and minerals. the nuts and seeds contain protein and unsaturated fat, both vital for cognitive function. they will also serve the purpose of lowering the GI value of the snack as a WHOLE to prevent the fructose in the fruit from causing blood sugar level fluctuations. pumpkin seeds are of particular use as they are high in omega 3 EFA.

happy munching!!!
Wow Ratboy, that's some good information there! Are you saying NOT to drink water with meals? And, I buy Very Veggie juice which is organic from Whole Foods and it is mixed with celery, carrots, beets, spinach, water chesnuts....here, wait a minute, I'll just go get the ingredients from my bottle.

Okay....
Ingredients: Water (Sufficient to reconstitute), organic tomato paste, organic vegetable blend juice (carrot, celery, beet, parsley, lettuce, watercress spinach), organic grain vinegar, organic lemon juice concentrate, sea salt, dehydrated organic breen bell peppers.

Itls called Very Veggie juice from R.W. Knumsen Family

Sounds very veggie huh? And what's the difference of them juicing it as opposed to me juicing it? Like in effectiveness?
Does this sound good enough to buy instead of me going through the trouble of juicing? Yah, I know, I can be lazy.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-26-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol..jess you sound like you'r in a joking mood..hehe..the grain vinegar must have malt in there, nope i can't drink that..

Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

sounds alright, but unless its fresh, as in made that day, then it won't be as effective due to a loss of enzyme activity. obviously, veg juice contains water- few things don't on the planet!- but there's a distinct difference between water and veg juice in regards to the effect on digestion.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
sounds alright, but unless its fresh, as in made that day, then it won't be as effective due to a loss of enzyme activity. obviously, veg juice contains water- few things don't on the planet!- but there's a distinct difference between water and veg juice in regards to the effect on digestion.
So, should I obstain from drinking water when I eat to enable the enzymes to digest and not become diluted? THat's what I get out of your previous post.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
So, should I obstain from drinking water when I eat to enable the enzymes to digest and not become diluted? THat's what I get out of your previous post.
pretty much, yeah. obstain from drinking water within half an hour before or after a meal. obviously drink enough water apart from that though.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

thanks ratboy....

Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

That's ridiculous...not to offend anyone, but to say that your should obstain from drinking to allow the enzymes to digest or whatever sounds like fabricated ideas from some diet book. I wouldn't believe anything that drastic and unbelievable until i was provided with a lot of valid proof (sources, studies, etc) and more than one person/book/website agreed on this.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Maybe its the HUGE breakfast you're eating thats making you tired.

Its good not to starve yourself when you wake up (like many people just drinking coffee) but if you're eating an amount that would make a trucker unbuckle his pants then you're maybe overdoing it!!!

Digesting food is hard work for your body. While your digestive system is busy processing your food, theres no energy left for you to feel alert.

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-26-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

veggie girl, you'r very smart....maybe you can teach me some things

Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl11
That's ridiculous...not to offend anyone, but to say that your should obstain from drinking to allow the enzymes to digest or whatever sounds like fabricated ideas from some diet book. I wouldn't believe anything that drastic and unbelievable until i was provided with a lot of valid proof (sources, studies, etc) and more than one person/book/website agreed on this.
It actually IS true. You have acid in your stomach to process food. If you drink water during, right before, or right after you eat you dilute the digestive juices and it can't process your food as affectively.

This is not a fad or a new thing, its been known for a long time.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Brainfood = Fats and Sugars. Also, try some B Vitamins.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
veggie girl, you'r very smart....maybe you can teach me some things
haha. Not really, I just learn from my own dumb ways

Closed Thread