It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Is wheat unhealthy?

I've been recentky hearing that food made of wheat such as whole wheat bread, shredded wheat, cream of wheat, etc are not good for you and you shouldn't eat them? Has anyone heard this or stays away from wheat foods?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Is wheat unhealthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
I've been recentky hearing that food made of wheat such as whole wheat bread, shredded wheat, cream of wheat, etc are not good for you and you shouldn't eat them? Has anyone heard this or stays away from wheat foods?
Hello Bluehen!

I have not heard of this and I LOVE "Cream of Wheat" cereal! If they are not good for you, it is news to me.
Melly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
(male)

sbdot HB User

Yes Iíve heard that.

Iíve also heard of the Easter Bunny and the Abominable Snowman.

Donít believe everything you hear.

While some may have a digestive/allergic problem with wheat products, whole grain products, in my opinion, are good for us.

sbdot

Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Wheat was fine before food manufacturers overdid it and put it in everything we eat. Had they not done that it wouldn't have been bad.

You might not be sensitive to wheat and be able to tolerate it. But even if you're okay with it, its not really healthy to eat the same foods all the time. If you're eating wheat flakes for breakfast, wholewheat bread sandwiches for lunch and wholewheat pasta for dinner then thats not so good.

I hear the abominable snowman and the Easter Bunny don't go near wheat though!!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

personally i can't have wheat because i have that allergy....but, what i recommend for you to do and, others aswell(right Jess)..is to add a little more variety to your diet..people eat to much wheat in one day, yes we need our grains but there are so many to choose from..example

corn muffins
rice bread
rice cookies
tapioca cookies
arrowroot cookies
etc..

there are so many to choose from

this will add more variety to your diet. There are to many people sensitive to wheat in the USA..and, they are not aware of it, example: acid refux disease is one of them, Arthritis is another..etc..if you where to eat wheat bread for breakfast and, then not have bread the rest of the day, this is not that bad..the problem is that wheat is everywhere...for example

toast for breakfast(wheat)
sandwich for lunch(wheat, and, cold cuts contain wheat too)
cookies for snacks(wheat)
pasta for supper(wheat)
flavored chips for tv time(wheat, flavored chips contain wheat)
etc..

thats way to much wheat(gluten) in one day..no wonder lots of people have acid refux..etc..

its best to make a more variety in you diet, for example:

toast for breakfast
corn bagel for lunch with an egg
soy cookies or, rice cookies..if you wanna snack on those(best snacks are raw veggies)
rice pasta for supper, or soy pasta..whatever..
and, if you like to snack at nite then you can have rice cakes or regular chips..or fruits, or nuts, or veggies(baby carottes, celery sticks, apple sauce)

the day you'r gonna have pizza, make sure that that will be your only wheat intake that day..for example:

corn bagel for breakfast with an egg and, fruits
then pizza for lunch(wheat)
for snacks you can have some rice cakes with cheese..
for supper, chicken breast with steamed veggies
tv snacks, wheat free pretzels..nuts, fruit cup, grapes, blueberries..etc

i have lots of energy without this nasty wheat, yet im very calm.. ..

remeber to shift with your grains, you will feel alot better as you do this..and, it will pay off in the long run..I promise you

Old 01-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

The healthfood store has some WONDERFUL breads that don't have wheat - you should check 'em out.

I buy a sprouted soy bread that is grrrreat!! (though I don't eat it everyday as bread turns me into a crack head and all I want is bread!!!)

Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

just to give you an example, if you where to go have hot-dogs..eww

wheat in the bun
wheat in the suasage
wheat in the mustard
wheat in the relish
wheat in the mayo hmm oh
wheat in the ketchup..
onion rings(wheat)

so why do people get reflux with this food?? (overdose).. not to mention the damage its causing..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-26-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i think wheat it very healthy...we do need like 8 to 10 servings of grain products PER day...and whole wheat bread on toast, sandwhiches, whatnot is great!

Old 01-27-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bread isn't called the "staff of life" for nothing.
In times of famine ancient people relied for survival on graneries filled with wheat, not chickens.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Now that more studies are being done, some doctors are finding more and more people that are sensitive to wheat more than ever before cause they never thought "wheat" was the problem. Like Losec said, I wouldn't OVER DO it, but a little in your diet is okay, plus whole grain breads and cereals have fiber in it. I buy oatmeal bread, and have pasta once(whole wheat) and a while. And I"ll have oatmeal or cereal once and a while, but like only one serving of a day. I don't over do wheat, I eat very little and I eat more grains like rice and oatmeal.

VeggieGirl, your funny, "crack head" LOL.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-27-2005 at 06:32 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Thanks everybody for your responses. The reason I was asking was because I was talking to this naturopathy doctor who says wheat is no good for you. That when he was in school they woul dmix wheat with water and get something that could be used as glue? Then we put that in our body. He says buckwheat and barley are the best. I am going to visit him and he is going to see if I have a wheat intolerance, he says some do and some don't. I guess I do eat a lot of wheat. Between eating whole wheat breads, shredded wheat, and cream of wheat, 3 things I eat on a regular basis. Has anyone tried buckwheat? I just bought some cream of buckwheat, I guess I'll try that today.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
Thanks everybody for your responses. The reason I was asking was because I was talking to this naturopathy doctor who says wheat is no good for you. That when he was in school they woul dmix wheat with water and get something that could be used as glue? Then we put that in our body. He says buckwheat and barley are the best. I am going to visit him and he is going to see if I have a wheat intolerance, he says some do and some don't. I guess I do eat a lot of wheat. Between eating whole wheat breads, shredded wheat, and cream of wheat, 3 things I eat on a regular basis. Has anyone tried buckwheat? I just bought some cream of buckwheat, I guess I'll try that today.
Yah, I tryied buckwheat waffles and they are pretty good. Now I'm eating Kashi blueberry waffles and I'm not sure if it's buckwheat, it's whole grain. What kind of bread are you going to buy?

Old 01-27-2005, 07:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Hi Jessica, I'm going to wait until I see this naturopathy doctor on Saturday. Let him run all the tests on me and see what he recommends from there. I just had a phone consult with him where he was going on and on about how bad wheat was and that buckwheat was good. I'll get back to you after my appt and I'll let you know.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Yes, I too have heard that wheat is not all it is cracked up to be. Personally I find it VERY helpful to avoid it (whole grain, refined, whatever) as much as possible (easier said than done). And IMHO there are quite a few people out there who would also benefit from cutting down on the wheat. There are a couple of issues with it.

One is that wheat bran contains phytic acid and other anti-nutrients. When not prepared properly (most often not), these substances negate much of the nutritional benefit even of whole grain products. Traditionally, grains underwent soaking and fermenting (sourdough) that neutralized much of the negative effects of these anti-nutrients. This takes time and thus costs money, so it is very rarely done today where profit is the bottom line. And mainstream types don't even recognize or acknowledge the necessity.

The wheat raised today is not the same stuff that was stored up in case of famine in ancient times. Recent hybridization has, among other things, increased the amount of protein. While this may sound like a good thing, some of that protein is gluten, which is difficult for many to digest.

Also, modern agricultural practices - relying on chemical fertilizers/pesticides - produce a much less nutritious product than grains raised in ancient times which were raised in more naturally fertile soils. That ancient grain might have produced a bread that could be called the staff of life, but the stuff today certainly cannot.

Last comes the fact that you now find wheat added to an unimaginably wide range of products. The more you are exposed to a food, the more likely you are to develop an allergy to it. The one things just about everyone agrees on in terms of diet is that it is best to eat a wide range of food to fill all your nutritional needs. Yet, no one seems to bat an eye when wheat is included in two or even three meals a day (not to mention snacks).

I completely disagree with the food pyramid recommending so many servings of grains each day as a necessity. There is absolutely no nutrient in grains that cannot be found elsewhere . . . and with fewer calories and more of other nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, etc.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Wink Re: Is wheat unhealthy?

BTW, nice to see ya, Jessica!

Closed Thread