It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #1

Sameesh HB User
Meal planning

Any of you guys really watch what you eat, when and what else with? Let me explain..In this book im reading, it has charts for making meals, and gives guidelines on what not to eat with what.

The only thing that cant be mixxed with all other types of food is green vegetables according the book..For example, it says no starchs with any type of protein..So hamburgers inherently unhealthy?

What about burritos, same thing.. And eating cereal (starch) with dairy? it says not to do that. it says dont mix "acids"(fruits) with proteins, or starch. It basically gives very VERY strict guidelines like this, not alot can be eaten at one time...Does anyone use this type of thinking? It can be tough at times, and somtimes i cant help but "cheat" with a PB sandwhich (starch +protein-fat = no no).

Any comments?
Thanks, Sam

Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
(female)

Jogaholic HB User
Re: Meal planning

That sounds very absurd to me..what makes those things unhealthy? PB sandwiches are great for you, especially on wheat bread. And not eating cereal with milk? What's that about? I don't know what book this is that you are reading; I don't know of anyone following those guidelines and my advice is just to eat healthily and balanced with a variety of foods to get all of the nutrients you need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

huh!! so we must be eating all wrong..

Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I think what you're referring to is food combining.

Its based on the belief that fats, sugars and protein require different amount of time and a different type of digestive liquids to process them.

So, its believed that if you eat a protein (which requires lots of acid) and a sugar (which requires alkaline) at the same meal that the two liquids released to process the food will counteract each other and neither the carb nor the protein will be adequately digested.

This, it is believed, causes bloating, indigestion, gas etc.

Also, it is thought that you shouldn't eat fruit with ANY type of food as it is digested very quickly and will ferment in the stomach while waiting for foods already eaten to be digested.

I don't know whether there is any validity in this theory of combining foods.

BTW: Food combining experts say you can eat veggies with a carb or a protein

Old 01-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #5

Sameesh HB User

Right. It says that a well balenced variety of food is good for you. Wheat bread is good for you. Peanut butter is good for you; together, however, they will not be adequaetly digested, ferment, realease toxins in the colon, ect. Somtimes, like right now, I am just so hungry i cant help but make a sandwhich, or have a big steak and some rice.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogaholic
That sounds very absurd to me..what makes those things unhealthy? PB sandwiches are great for you, especially on wheat bread. And not eating cereal with milk? What's that about? I don't know what book this is that you are reading; I don't know of anyone following those guidelines and my advice is just to eat healthily and balanced with a variety of foods to get all of the nutrients you need.
I agree with Jogaholic, I think it's all bull. I guess I'll have to research this myself to validate it, but I NEVER heard of something like this! AND, if you do continue to eat like this, what will happen? Example, pbj sandwich and CEREAL AND MILK We've been eating like this for YEARS and our lifespans have dramatically increased.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-28-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I agree with Jogaholic, I think it's all bull. I guess I'll have to research this myself to validate it, but I NEVER heard of something like this! AND, if you do continue to eat like this, what will happen? Example, pbj sandwich and CEREAL AND MILK We've been eating like this for YEARS and our lifespans have dramatically increased.
I'm also on the fence too about food combining.

However, I don't think that our lifespans have increased due to eating cereal and milk or peanut butter and jelly!!

More likely progression of technology in the medical field allowing for immunizations, heart transplants, antibiotics have allowed us to live longer!!

Old 01-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

awwww poor Jessicca..lol

Old 01-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #9

Sameesh HB User

sure we have been eating like this for years, and sure our lifespans increase. But why do these health boards even exist? Obviously, SOMTHING isent right..And improper eating just might be to blame..I think this food combining thing from my orignal post has some merit to it.

The book is called "nutritional guide" by louise tenney, m.h second edition..its really good i got it at harry's (whole foods, basically)

Old 01-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i think the three big one's are Wheat, sugar, salt..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 01-28-2005 at 06:02 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameesh
sure we have been eating like this for years, and sure our lifespans increase. But why do these health boards even exist? Obviously, SOMTHING isent right..And improper eating just might be to blame..I think this food combining thing from my orignal post has some merit to it.

The book is called "nutritional guide" by louise tenney, m.h second edition..its really good i got it at harry's (whole foods, basically)
I'll tell you what really isn't right.
McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King (some healthy items), trans fats, high fructos syrup, white refined bread, aspartame, drugs alcohol, ciggarets, etc!

I HIGHLY doubt that food combinations has ANYTHING to blame. I'm not saying that your book is COMPLETELY wrong, but I don't think if we ate cereal WITH milk that our health will get worse. So what are you saying, like, If we kept combining our foods this way, what will happen?? You never answered my question before.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-28-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
I'll tell you what really isn't right.
McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King (some healthy items), trans fats, high fructos syrup, white refined bread, aspartame, drugs alcohol, ciggarets, etc!

I HIGHLY doubt that food combinations has ANYTHING to blame. I'm not saying that your book is COMPLETELY wrong, but I don't think if we ate cereal WITH milk that our health will get worse. So what are you saying, like, If we kept combining our foods this way, what will happen?? You never answered my question before.
Jess, I think what the food combining movement has tried to do is bring attention to the way our body naturally breaks down different components in food (fat, sugars, protein) with different digestive juices (acid, alkaline) in different part of the body (stomach, colon) and suggest that maybe optimal absorption occurs when we eat foods that faciliate the way the body digests.

I don't think they're suggesting that we will live longer by merely food combining. You can correctly combine McDonalds and still be unhealthy or incorrectly combine healthy foods and still be healthy.

I think its about optimizing the assimilation of nutrients not healthy vs unhealthy.

But, as I mentioned before, I don't really know that much about food combining and am not entirely convinced that it is valid.

But, I think new ideas about eating is good as it helps us to learn a little more about how our body works.

Last edited by veggie girl; 01-29-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Jess, I think what the food combining movement has tried to do is bring attention to the way our body naturally breaks down different components in food (fat, sugars, protein) with different digestive juices (acid, alkaline) in different part of the body (stomach, colon) and suggest that maybe optimal absorption occurs when we eat foods that faciliate the way the body digests.

I don't think they're suggesting that we will live longer by merely food combining. You can correctly combine McDonalds and still be unhealthy or incorrectly combine healthy foods and still be healthy.

I think its about optimizing the assimilation of nutrients not healthy vs unhealthy.

But, as I mentioned before, I don't really know that much about food combining and am not entirely convinced that it is valid.

But, I think new ideas about eating is good as it helps us to learn a little more about how our body works.
What is the benefit of facilitating what the body digest by optimal absorption? Less tummy aches or a better metabolism? What would be the benefit of going through all that trouble? It would be a pain in the but wouldn't you think? I agree with you, I'm not totally convinced and I ain't gonna research THAT, LOL.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-29-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
What is the benefit of facilitating what the body digest by optimal absorption? Less tummy aches or a better metabolism? What would be the benefit of going through all that trouble? It would be a pain in the but wouldn't you think? I agree with you, I'm not totally convinced and I ain't gonna research THAT, LOL.
Its saying that because - for example - proteins need acid to break down and sugars need alkalines to break down that when you eat the two foods together that the two juices combine and neutralize and can't break down the protein or the sugars. Therefore, you don't get the nutrients contained in the food.

Also, they believe that improperly digested food sits longer in the gut which causes it to ferment- causing gas, bloating and other digestive problems.

The thing I don't understand is how can you possibly separate out sugars, proteins and fats when many foods contain all three!!!

Also, I don't understand why the human body can't properly process foods eaten toghether when we've been eating meat/nuts, grains and fruits together for millions of years!!

There is a lot about it that makes sense and a lot that mades me feel befuddled!!

Closed Thread