It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #1

grassroots311 HB User
Quit soda altogether, now what?

I eat healthy for the most part, EXCEPT for the fact that I've always drank a TON of soda. I decided to quit cold turkey, mainly because of the high sugar content. I never really paid attention to the labels on drinks, but I've started to notice that most of the non-soda beverages (juice, punch, icea tea) have almost the same sugar content as soda

Because of that, I started drinking diet soda, but I'm concerned about the effects of aspartame. Anyone have some good suggestions on what to drink out there? It seems like it just comes down to the lesser of two evils

Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

Jogaholic HB User
Re: Quit soda altogether, now what?

I used to drink soda a lot until I started running and gave it up. It's been 3 years and I don't miss it at all! Truthfully the cravings for it do go away and after a while it isn't even worth it when you drink it - it just doesn't taste good anymore. I guess diet soda is a better choice if you have to have any at all, although aspartame doesn't have a good reputation either. You're probably just craving the carbonation - in that case, try carbonated water instead for a while and see how that goes. In response to other drink suggestions, go for the water, your body needs it - flavored water like Propel and Fruit2O are pretty good. And if you get tired of plain water try adding some lemon wedges to it. You're right that juices have a lot of sugar so IMO those should be dranken sparingly, but one of the better choices would be orange juice. Lots of vitamin C and calcium. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I make my own 'soda' by mixing some organic apple concentrate with selzer. Its great!!

Although, I don't really drink it that much coz i got rid of my soda craving.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #4

grassroots311 HB User

Well the thing is I didn't turn to diet soda because I still crave it. I turned to it because its the only thing that doesn't have sugar. I feel like what's the point of drinking juices if they have just as much sugar as regular soda...

Old 01-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots311
Well the thing is I didn't turn to diet soda because I still crave it. I turned to it because its the only thing that doesn't have sugar. I feel like what's the point of drinking juices if they have just as much sugar as regular soda...
But juice doens't have 20 ingredients all of which were created in a lab!

Old 01-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

haha veggie..you seem to always have a punch..lol,, well I just drink carbonated water..it fizzes in my mouth..lol

Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
haha veggie..you seem to always have a punch..lol,, well I just drink carbonated water..it fizzes in my mouth..lol

oops, not meaning to sound like I'm punching!!

I just feel that the sugar in a small glass of pomegranite juice (drank in moderation) is better than the no sugar of a lab created drink. Especially one that has been soaking up all that aluminum.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I just drink a lot of water and teas, and some juice or coffee every now and then...

Last edited by Midget; 01-30-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #9

Blue102 HB User

I really like Perrier Lime (carbonated water). I take it to parties with me because I'm trying to stop drinking alcohol. It's kind of expensive, though.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Diet Rite has splenda and has no sodium, carbs, calories, or caffeine.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Perrier is good, I also drink Pelegrino(from Italy)

Old 02-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I think it's funny how people look at how much sugar is in fruit juices, but never compare the calories. Regular soda has a lot more calories than fruit juice. The seltzer water with a pinch of lemon or fruit juice is a good idea. A better idea would be to try unsweetened orange juice. Sure it has 110 cal. per glass, but it also has a lot of potasium so you'll just urinate it all out. You can even put it over ice cubes. Then there's apple cider, but too much of that acts like a laxative.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #13
(male)

romeoii HB User

Have you tried any beverages containing "Splenda?" I switched from "Equal" two years ago and really feel better. Coke is even comiing out with a splenda diet coke!
Iced tea and suger? Have you tried brewing your own tea and adding a squeeze of lemon or lime to it? Beats suger every time!
Try filling the blender with a bunch of strawberries, crushed ice, skim milk and a packet of splenda, whirl away and enjoy a smoothie
You imagination is the only limit you need wory about.
These are some of the ways I find I can have and enjoy my 3-5 servings of fruit a day!
If you ask, I'll tell you how to do the veggies (Yuck!)
Art

Last edited by romeoii; 02-11-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Water... all water. And tea... you should try drinking different types of tea it is so good. And you can drink it all day long... Mmmm.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #15
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I'd quit drinking soda altogether if I were you. No diet drinks, no natural soda, nothing!! Soda has phosphorus, which leaches calcium from your bones. Sugar and aspartame are bad for you. I don't miss my soda addiction. I drink water and crave it when I don't get enough.

Closed Thread