It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

Tim205 HB User
Smile right diet for stomach troubles

Hi

My name is Tim, Im a new member here.

I have stomach troubles, hiatal hernia and acid burning too.

I been wondering what kind of diet or foods is proper for me so I dont get sick again like I was last week.

Im kinda lost, I just eat to fulfill my hunger and what I can afford to buy.

Other words I need some advice on general foods that is good and gentle on the stomach yet fulfilling and nutritious for my body.

Anyway, thanks everyone Im glad to be here as a member. Im hoping and praying I can help someone too on here.

God bless
Tim

Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: right diet for stomach troubles

Hey Tim, You can't really go wrong with vegetables. They go right through you system. Fruit is fine too ( but not too much, its encourges yeast overgrowth) Plenty of water will help as will natural plain yoghurt which will help increase your intestinal flora.

Though i don't know specifically about your problem, you can't go wrong with fruit and veg.

What diet has your doctor recommended?

Avoid refined stuff it just clogs up your system

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

tdot HB User

Hey Tim,

This is a standard anti-reflux diet which is used for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) including hiatal hernia.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The anti-reflux diet is used for persons with gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD), causes of GERD such as hiatal hernia and complications of GERD such as esophageal ulcers and strictures. The anti-reflux diet is based on a general diet modified to decrease or eliminate foods that cause reflux and/or irritate the esophagus. Foods known to irritate the esophagus include chocolate, alcohol, mint, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits and juices, tomato products and coffee. In addition, avoiding high fat foods may aid in reducing reflux symptoms. It must be noted that foods associated with reflux symptoms vary and are different for many individuals. It is important to determine irritant foods and eliminate them from the client’s diet.

General guidelines:
• Maintain upright posture during and for 45-60 minutes after eating
• Avoid eating within 2 to 3 hours before going to sleep
• Avoid clothing which is tight in the abdominal area
• Stop smoking
• Limit caffeine intake
• Avoid chocolate
• Limit alcohol intake

Foods commonly associated with distress:
• Whole milk, chocolate milk, chocolate shakes or drinks
• Croissants, biscuits, doughnuts, and muffins
• Pies, cookies, cakes, ice cream
• Gravies, heavy cream, bacon, butter and margarine
• Orange, lemon, and pineapple
• Fried meat, poultry, fish and eggs
• Luncheon meats, wieners and sausages
• French fries and potato chips
• Tomatoes, tomato soup and tomato sauce
• Chocolate
• Spearmint, peppermint, chilli and jalapeno peppers
• Carbonated beverages, mint tea, coffee, and alcoholic beverages

Old 02-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hahahahaha its the bloody freakin GLUTEN causing this..just about everything listed above contains GLUTEN.. if you want this reflux to go away permenatly then you must ilimninate GLUTEN.. that is the culprit..most of the peoples don't iliminate it, taking PPI's instead causing major damages.

Hope I helped

Old 02-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

tdot HB User

It may be the gluten, but the foods listed above which should be restricted are known irritants to the stomach for individuals with GERD. These irritants include high fat foods, spicy foods, tomatoes, citrus, caffeine, alcohol and mint (actually, mint reduces esophageal sphincter pressure).

Not everyone is sensitive to gluten.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

tdot..i know what im talking about..all of what you mentioned above contains Gluten..except for tomatoes..they gotta be fresh..if you are damaged from gluten, then any food will cause the burning..trust me iv lived this forever..also coffee contains Gluten..unless you ground your own..thats what I do..soooo conlusion== overdosing, resulting in intestinal damages, stomache damages..etc..tis causing the burning..and, spices are packed with gluten..i make my own spices and, i can tolerate all of them..

hope this helped....

the only way to iliminate this reflux is to iliminate this mighty monster..PPI's will help but, they won't fix the problem.

here is your list..

Foods commonly associated with distress:
• Whole milk, chocolate milk, chocolate shakes or drinks=gluten(except for the whole milk)
• Croissants, biscuits, doughnuts, and muffins(major gluten)
• Pies, cookies, cakes, ice cream(all gluten)
• Gravies, heavy cream, bacon, butter and margarine(gluten except for the butter)
• Orange, lemon, and pineapple(tis ok)
• Fried meat, poultry, fish and eggs(tis gluten free unless breaded)
• Luncheon meats, wieners and sausages(all gluten)
• French fries and potato chips(all gluten)
• Tomatoes, tomato soup and tomato sauce(all except fresh tomatoes)
• Chocolate(if with wafer then its gluten)
• Spearmint, peppermint, chilli and jalapeno peppers(all gluten except for fresh jalapeno peppers)
• Carbonated beverages, mint tea, coffee, and alcoholic beverages(all except for carbonated beverages)

there you have it..in other words if gluten is damaging you then you will be sensitive to anything you eat..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 02-04-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

tdot HB User

Losec,

I understand that you have had much success with following a gluten-free diet as an intolerance to gluten was the root of YOUR problem, however there is no scientific evidence that gluten intolerance is the cause of GERD in general. GERD is caused by many things - stress, increased acidity in GI system, even genetics.

The foods listed above are know irritants of the GI system, especially in individuals who experience GERD. Studies have shown that reducing the amount of high fat foods, spicy foods, acidic foods, caffeine and alcohol provides relief for individuals with GERD. Furthermore, I am certain that if an individual with GERD drank pure oil (which contains no gluten) they would not receive symtoms. I am familiar with the concept that the stomach is damaged from gluten (in some individuals) and therefore many other foods will irritate the stomach, however this is again in individuals who are sensitive to it. The theory is not true for everyone.

I realize that for you removing gluten from your diet works wonders, but others must go through a process of elimination in order to determine the cause of their ills. We are all unique and the cause of our illnesses are unique, therefore it is crucial that individuals explore all avenues when determining to root of their problems.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah..
well I don't believe that..i know for example if someone has a big mac and. gets sick on it..this is a person is sensitive to gluten..its simple..a big mac is nothing but gluten

bun=gluten
pattie=gluten
mayo=gluten
mustard=gluten
relish=gluten
pickle=gluten..
hhm lets see, oh ya ketchup=gluten
this is to much gluten all at ounce..causing the stomache to freak out, also causing major damage to the digestive tract.. Now if people where to eat just bread veggies, fruits, fresh meat..rice, pasta.. this would be fine..the problem is that many of us eat way to much junk(gluten)

see ya

Old 02-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
(female)

tdot HB User

A Big Mac is high in fat as well which causes stomach problems. Again, for some people a Big Mac would be detrimental, for most others, only the fat would bother them.

I read a statistic recently that I found intriguing. "10% of the population believes they are lactose intolerant, while only 2% are actually (diagnosed by oral lactose tolerance test) lactose intolerant.

Health is a very individual thing. Not everyone is sensitive to gluten. I eat gluten with no problems at all. I work full-time, work out every night, train for marathons/triathlons and have never had any stomach problems in my life.

Last edited by tdot; 02-04-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i neva said we are all sensitive to it..just that most of us are also fatty foods do NOT give you acid reflux..acid reflux comes from this >>GLUTEN<<

Last edited by Losec20mg; 02-04-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
(female)

tdot HB User

Reflux disease is a symptom of celiac disease but is not caused by eating gluten.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

people with reflux are living with undiagnosed celiac..especially the ones that need to take their PPI's in order to eat somtin..i gave up my PPI's two months after iliminating Gluten..for example if you take a jar of cheap mustard..there are three sources of gluten in there..ex

seasonings
spices
white vinegar

these all contain gluten

most of the people i know have difficulty digesting these, why do you think so.??..cheap stuff is making people sick..am I making sense?? The mustard I eat is 5.99 jar..and, its delicious..and, I can eat it with a spoon and, im neva sick with it..Voila

Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
(male)

Tim205 HB User

Well thanks everyone for your advice,
From what I understand stick with veggies and fruits except the high acid stuff.

I will check on the coffee bean deal, I drink decaff folgers.

Right now I love rice mixes, thats my favorite meal.

The morning I got sick, I ate a krystals sunrisers with egg, sausage and cheese. and bread of course.

Thanks everyone I will try some of this stuff out. Other words experiment around some till I hit a comfy diet for my tummy.

God bless,
Tim

Old 02-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi Tim if you want my advise, the less gluten you will eat the better you'r stomach will feel also the rest of your body..trust me i know..

Old 02-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok Tim.. what i want you to do is reduce some of your wheat intake..get yourself healthier breads(spelt kamut corn)..also get yourself some all natural rice recipes..with low gluten soysauces..get yourself good cookies(Pamelas)..etc..also some rice crackers..organic ketchup, pure all natural spices..forget powdered spices..also eat lotes of fruits and, veggies..are you ok with those.? also get yourself some seasalt and, extra virgin olive oil, with rice vinegar, and, wine vinegar..etc..in other words start eating quality foods..you will feel alot betta.. but, you must always eat like this forever.

bye

erase that link

Closed Thread