It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
OMG, this stuff is amazing!

Has anyone tried this Smart Balance butter spray without ANY fat calories or trans fats? It is SOOOO good, like, I can't believe it's not butter!LOL NO, seriously. I just sprayed some on my organic popcorn and IM HOOKED. I know there is a downfall to this.lol I love butter(I mean as a baby I used to eat it plain my mom said), and i'm telling you, it tastes JUST like it. Did anyone ever try this. I'm telling you, if this isn't that bad for me I'll be eating it almost every day. I'm so suprised!

Remember, this stuff has 0 calories, so can anybody tell me what they do to this stuff? It tastes and seems to good to be true.

Last edited by Jess75; 02-03-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: OMG, this stuff is amazing!

time to make a big popcorn party for all of us..we will all come and, taste that new product..lol
never heard of it Jess.. is there a number on it(phone no.)

smile

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
time to make a big popcorn party for all of us..we will all come and, taste that new product..lol
never heard of it Jess.. is there a number on it(phone no.)

smile
Yah, and they also have a web-site, but unfortunately the number ain't tool free. Here it is anyways 201-568-9300(NJersey?) If not check out the website.

Here's the ingredients: Organic soy beverage (water, defatted organic soybeans), organic soy oil, salt(although it says no sodium, hmmmm??? )buttermilk, lactic acid, soy lecithin, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, THBO and calcium disodium EDTA to preserve freshness, natural and artificial flacor, beta carotene color.

Sounds like a lot of chemicals huh. If it's bad, i'll just eat it once and a while and if it isn't, it's my NEW THANG!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yup to many chemicals..especially the natural & artaficial flavors..they are not telling us whats in there..there can probably be about another 10 extra chemicals in there..for flavors etc..nope Jess.. don't use it..spray some on your tires use it as armor-all ..

i just got some organic popcorn the other day from presidents choice..with pure butter flavor..i know its fattening..but, hey this way we won't eat it everyday...maybe im to boring

Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
yup to many chemicals..especially the natural & artaficial flavors..they are not telling us whats in there..there can probably be about another 10 extra chemicals in there..for flavors etc..nope Jess.. don't use it..spray some on your tires use it as armor-all ..

i just got some organic popcorn the other day from presidents choice..with pure butter flavor..i know its fattening..but, hey this way we won't eat it everyday...maybe im to boring
Well, I won't go overboard then. I figured it was bad, oh well. The organic popcorn I buy is from Newman's.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i neva make micro wave popcorn..lol i noramlly make my own..the taste is a little boring but you get use to it..but, these micro wave ones i got are very natural..
ingredientsrganic popping corn, organic palm oil, natural organic butter flavor, sea salt.
lets just say ill save these ones for the guests..lol

see ya

Old 02-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
i neva make micro wave popcorn..lol i noramlly make my own..the taste is a little boring but you get use to it..but, these micro wave ones i got are very natural..
ingredientsrganic popping corn, organic palm oil, natural organic butter flavor, sea salt.
lets just say ill save these ones for the guests..lol

see ya
C-ya, thanks.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

mmmmmmmmm... butter

Old 02-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jessica,
I hate to burst your bubble BUT the way they get ZERO calories and ZERO fat and ZERO trans fats is take advantage of an FDA/USDA loophole that allows one to count 1/2 gram or less as NO grams (and no calories).
Once that rule is in place you can ALWAYS make the portion size small emough to comply...check out the number of servings on the label...eeek!

You can do the same thing with a pound of butter...since the pound is 454 grams you just say there are 910 servings in it and thus there is ZERO fat, calories, trans fats, and saturated fats because everything comes in at a few milligrams less than a half gram.

Basically,
The Smart Balance and any other spray is a bottle of PURE FAT (well, maybe not quite so pure)...and check for the words, partially hydrogenated; it means trans fats EVERY TIME!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-04-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Jessica,
I hate to burst your bubble BUT the way they get ZERO calories and ZERO fat and ZERO trans fats is take advantage of an FDA/USDA loophole that allows one to count 1/2 gram or less as NO grams (and no calories).
Once that rule is in place you can ALWAYS make the portion size small emough to comply...check out the number of servings on the label...eeek!

You can do the same thing with a pound of butter...since the pound is 454 grams you just say there are 910 servings in it and thus there is ZERO fat, calories, trans fats, and saturated fats because everything comes in at a few milligrams less than a half gram.

Basically,
The Smart Balance and any other spray is a bottle of PURE FAT (well, maybe not quite so pure)...and check for the words, partially hydrogenated; it means trans fats EVERY TIME!
So in other words, there is calories in fat in this product if I spray about 6 sprays?

Old 02-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I just checked the stuff in the market Jessica.
They claim 1100 pan sprays per little bottle and 280 somethng for "topping sprays"...I think that was 3 sprays (small print.)
When I used a similar product for popcorn, it was always about 20 sprays.[D]
So yes, I'd say you get a gram of fat if you use 6 sprays, certainly with 8!

It's STILL better than pouring a couple ounces of melted butter on...but OHHH, did it taste good that way.

Anyhoo, ALL of those liquid sprays play the same game and get "no food value."

ILOVE when they do it with Whipped Cream and claim 72 servings per can...IN WHICH UNIVERSE?

Last edited by Lenin; 02-04-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I just checked the stuff in the market Jessica.
They claim 1100 pan sprays per little bottle and 280 somethng for "topping sprays"...I think that was 3 sprays (small print.)
When I used a similar product for popcorn, it was always about 20 sprays.[D]
So yes, I'd say you get a gram of fat if you use 6 sprays, certainly with 8!

It's STILL better than pouring a couple ounces of melted butter on...but OHHH, did it taste good that way.

Anyhoo, ALL of those liquid sprays play the same game and get "no food value."

ILOVE when they do it with Whipped Cream and claim 72 servings per can...IN WHICH UNIVERSE?
Thanks Lenin for the info! Do you think this stuff is really bad for the body??

Old 02-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

grrrr..yes its bad, don't eat it...im not mad Jess.. im just saying you shouldn't have it..or save it for the guests..LOL

Old 02-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's GREAT for killing mosquitoes...it gives them heart diease.

Jessica,

Three squirts a day on your popcorn probably will not do you any harm. Now, if you satart GUZZLING the stuff, you will need to go to SA (Sprayers Anonymous.)

Old 02-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hahahaha or save some for your tires..Jess.. lol use it as armor-all

you'r eating to healthy for that stuff..throw it away..

layta

Closed Thread