It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Wink Organic spelt, supposively an alternative to wheat and considered the mother grain?

Hi again,
I'm one of those people who looks into everything I buy and I like to do research and recieve feedback on opinions that pertain to what I'm asking about. Right now, I'm going to REALLY eliminate wheat from my diet this time, and as much gluten as I can. I started to do it, but ended up buying Kashi blueberry waffles(full of wheat) and I also bought oatmeal bread but I know it has wheat in it. Sooooo, I'm kinda excited because I went to Whole foods today and examined EVERY frozen bread possible that was wheat free and remembered that VeggieGirl mentioned something about Spelt bread and it didn't look all puny and little like the other breads and it said on the back....

Spelt is the "Mother Grain" of the five ancient grains. A good wheat alternative because spelt's gluten is easier for many to digest whilde containing more portein and fiber than wheat.(BTW, right there I was like cool. )Spelt , the most used grain in the U.S. until 1910 has a delicious, sweet, nutty taste that is regaining popularity on America's tables today.

Then it says:
Note: If you have a wheat or gluten allergy we remommend that you consult your doctor regarding which cereal grains you should avoid before eating this bread. Spelt bread may not be digestible by some people with certain wheat and gluten allergies. (So, Losec I guess that goes for you right?) I tasted it and it is soooo good. I was like "This is what bread is supposed to taste like."

So there is a reason why I have constipation problems and it may be wheat. I already eliminated cows milk from my diet and i still have some problems, although the colace is helping but I can't take it for the rest of my life! Although this bread has gluten in it, does it mean that it's still not as good as "gluten free" bread? Is ALL gluten bad, like spelt and oatmeal? All opinions and ANY feedback is greatly appreciated. Right now, I'm going to do a search on the net and google it. This bread is awesome and it's not that expensive, I got it for $3.49. Oh, and what do you do since it is frozen, do you guys let it sit out for a few minutes. Today I microwaved it but I won't do it all the time.

Last edited by Jess75; 02-04-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Organic spelt, supposively an alternative to wheat and considered the mother grain?

is there a date on this bread Jess..?? I always new that spelt was betta then wheat..also Kamut is great to for you, Jess.. anyhow im glad you'r still working on this..I thought you gave up..noway I know you'r a fighter..gogogo Jess.. I can't have those....oh well ill keep eating my corn breads, or potato breads..LOL..no wonder my ***** doesn't stink, im not eating wheat..LOL..also try getting some rice cookies, the pamela ones are amazing..mmm Like I said Jess.. you do not have to iliminate it completely..I think if you are sensitive to it..then the less you eat of it, the more you might react to it..but, you'r doing great, keep it up Jess.. im soo happy for you..

Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Organic spelt, supposively an alternative to wheat and considered the mother grain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
is there a date on this bread Jess..?? I always new that spelt was betta then wheat..also Kamut is great to for you, Jess.. anyhow im glad you'r still working on this..I thought you gave up..noway I know you'r a fighter..gogogo Jess.. I can't have those....oh well ill keep eating my corn breads, or potato breads..LOL..no wonder my ***** doesn't stink, im not eating wheat..LOL..also try getting some rice cookies, the pamela ones are amazing..mmm Like I said Jess.. you do not have to iliminate it completely..I think if you are sensitive to it..then the less you eat of it, the more you might react to it..but, you'r doing great, keep it up Jess.. im soo happy for you..
I don't see a date on it, where would it be? This is DEFINITELY my new bread, I love it and it LOOKs so healthy.

Oh and the name of the company is Rudi's Organic Bakery.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

good Jess.. there has to be a date on it, or check for a phone number and, call the company..ask them "whats up with the date"..yoohoo im happy Jess..

layta

Old 02-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
good Jess.. there has to be a date on it, or check for a phone number and, call the company..ask them "whats up with the date"..yoohoo im happy Jess..

layta
I'll be back layta to check out what others have to say about it too.

Layta L

Last edited by Jess75; 02-04-2005 at 01:16 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

back LOL

Made from spelt—a so-called “ancient grain”—spelt bread was initially formulated for people with allergies. The small amount of gluten in spelt is usually tolerated by people who are sensitive to wheat or wheat gluten. Spelt bread is usually denser and drier than wheat bread, but has a similar flavor—slightly nutty and sweet.

Varieties
Spelt bread is available in rolls and loaves of various shapes and sizes.

Buying and storing tips
Buy spelt bread in the refrigerated- or frozen-foods section of health food stores or supermarkets. Store in a plastic bag at room temperature, and use within a few days.

Availability
Spelt bread is available year-round.

Preparation, uses, and tips
Spelt bread’s taste is greatly improved by toasting. Spread toasted spelt bread with a small amount of tahini (sesame seed butter) and honey, then sprinkle with raisins.

Nutritional Highlights
Spelt bread, 1 slice (44g)
Calories: 100
Protein: 4g
Carbohydrate: 20g
Total Fat: 0.0
Fiber: 3.0g

Old 02-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey Jess i just bought 2 loaves of spelt for my mom yesterday and, loves them..could you believe that, she was suffering from arthritis and, it was all bacuz of the wheat..she doing soooooo much betta..lol

layta

check my signature

Old 02-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
hey Jess i just bought 2 loaves of spelt for my mom yesterday and, loves them..could you believe that, she was suffering from arthritis and, it was all bacuz of the wheat..she doing soooooo much betta..lol

layta

check my signature
Where is your signature? What do you mean? And, do you think her arthritis is due to wheat? Did she check with her doctor about the fish oil? Cause that would help. So, how long did she abstain from wheat?

Old 02-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
VeggieGirl mentioned something about Spelt bread
Hey Jess, I think actually I bought Sprouted Soy Bread (or something like that) that had no wheat, but I've heard good thinks about spelt also. How was it?

Old 02-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

can't you read my signature.?? she has not completely iliminated wheat..but reduced it alot and, she feels much betta..

look at my siggy

layta

Old 02-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Losec, what signature are you talking about??

Old 02-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

my signature appears at the bottom of all my posts..its somtin i put in for you and, Jess.. its very funny

you can't see it.?

Old 02-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
my signature appears at the bottom of all my posts..its somtin i put in for you and, Jess.. its very funny

you can't see it.?
no, I can't see it

Old 02-06-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

how can i fix it.??

Old 02-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Just read all your posts on spelt. Just wanted to add I went to a naturopath doctor who recommended I don't eat wheat products and cows milk products for a while. I wanted to let you know a few other alternatives. Spelt flakes are a good cereal breakfast. They sell them in the health food store. Also millet is good for a cereal and buckwheat is good too. All can be substituted for wheat. As alternatives to cow's milk product there are goat's milk products which are nasty, but what is very good is almond milk. In the health food store. It tastes great with spelt cereal. Just wanted to add my two cents, hope it helped.

Closed Thread