HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Trans fat question... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/249849-trans-fat-question.html)

Heidi_B 02-04-2005 04:02 PM

Trans fat question...

Hi!

In my efforts to reduce my cholesterol, I have had to try to teach myself about the ingredients in processed food. There is a lot to take in, but one thing still confuses me: How can some products advertise themselves as been free of trans fat, when the ingredient list still contains hydrogenated oils and/or vegetable shortening?

I thought those things were identical?

Thanks for any help!

Heidi

Jess75 02-04-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Trans fat question...

[QUOTE=Heidi_B]Hi!

In my efforts to reduce my cholesterol, I have had to try to teach myself about the ingredients in processed food. There is a lot to take in, but one thing still confuses me: How can some products advertise themselves as been free of trans fat, when the ingredient list still contains hydrogenated oils and/or vegetable shortening?

I thought those things were identical?

Thanks for any help!

Heidi[/QUOTE]
I had the same question which led me to call the company and they said that the FDA had passed a law so the manufacturers were permitted to put "0 trans fats" on their products if there was .5g of hydrogenated oils or less. Plus I also read it on the internet when I was doing research about how bad hydrogenated oils are. I look back and can't believe how many products I was buying and eating that had trans fats. It's supposively like putting candle wax in the arteries, yuk! :eek:

Losec20mg 02-04-2005 06:09 PM

Candle wax.?? omg/..heheh too kool :)..I made rice with beans, Jess..LOL

Jess75 02-04-2005 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Losec20mg]Candle wax.?? omg/..heheh too kool :)..I made rice with beans, Jess..LOL[/QUOTE]
Do you eat rice and beans often, or did I remind you of them from yesterday? Have you tried Amy's organic enchiladas with beans, vegetables, and rice yet? It's to die for and it's GLUTEN FREE!! :bouncing:
Oh, and I forgot to tell you that I bought these waffles today made of brown rice flower....their called "Vans" all natural and it says wheat free on the front with apple cinnamon. I tried one and I definitely like them better than the buckwheat kind. Although, to be honest, the wheat ones taste better but like I said, I read about the "No Grain DIet" book a while ago when coming across Mercola's website and was quite suprised about how wheat products can cause problems. Plus you informed me and that tiped the iceberg. Here I go again going off the subject of the original post, LOL. :D

Losec20mg 02-04-2005 07:16 PM

Jess.. yeah i know..we ramble on about all these things and, forget about the topic..lol I do have some canned soups but, these are imported from Italy..with black beans, veggies, and, spinach.. but, the Amy's is gluten free.?? does it say on the label..I was actually looking at some Amy's oups today..:).. but, normally I make my own soups..they are much betta..lol and, i use corn starch to thicken them just a little..Thanks Jess..

layta :)

did it say on the label.??

Jess75 02-04-2005 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Losec20mg]Jess.. yeah i know..we ramble on about all these things and, forget about the topic..lol I do have some canned soups but, these are imported from Italy..with black beans, veggies, and, spinach.. but, the Amy's is gluten free.?? does it say on the label..I was actually looking at some Amy's oups today..:).. but, normally I make my own soups..they are much betta..lol and, i use corn starch to thicken them just a little..Thanks Jess..

layta :)

did it say on the label.??[/QUOTE]
Yes, it says it right on the front, and I just thought of it... I had a bean quesidilla(sp) at whole foods today, with organic chicken soup and steamed veggies(carrots cauliflower, which I thought tasted kinda yuckey cause it was plain but I know it's good for me. :) ) And, I've been on this waffle kick(with smart balance and light syrup) lately and have been enjoying it with my coffee(only 2) in the am. :yawn: I CRAVE something sweet in the am, and it's REALLY uncontrollable.... ANd imported from Italy, woo hoo, cool. :cool:
Layta Losec :cool:

Losec20mg 02-04-2005 07:50 PM

well maybe here in canada it doesn't say..i dunno, what color is the can.??

layta-layta..LOL

:)

Jess75 02-04-2005 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=Losec20mg]well maybe here in canada it doesn't say..i dunno, what color is the can.??

layta-layta..LOL

:)[/QUOTE]
What doesn't say what in Canada?
The can of what?lol If your talking about AMy's organics it's a bunch of colors, or like a black box and it's in the frozen section with all her meals. You gotta try it! :p
Layta winnie the poop,lol. :D

Losec20mg 02-04-2005 08:15 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahah :D..you'r killing me..LOL ok im lost, i thought you meant the soups..lol Ill check in the forzen section on Mundey..lol..hahahaha winnie..LOL..

Layta..pooper.lol

Jess75 02-04-2005 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Losec20mg]hahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahah :D..you'r killing me..LOL ok im lost, i thought you meant the soups..lol Ill check in the forzen section on Mundey..lol..hahahaha winnie..LOL..

Layta..pooper.lol[/QUOTE]
Hehehe, okay, let me know if you like it. :wave:
C-YA, don't wanna BE YA!(we used to always say that as kids)lol
Layta!

Losec20mg 02-04-2005 09:11 PM

Yawn..nite Jess..

see ya in da mourning :D