It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Question dandelion... edible... how?? :s

You know, those yellow flowers in the grass. We treat them as weed. I had no idea you could eat them. How do you eat them? Do you cook the leaves? Or do you eat it raw? And is it super healthy? Or even healthy at all? Or I dont know whats it good for? Thanks...

Old 02-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

tdot HB User
Re: dandelion... edible... how?? :s

I've had dandelion before. You eat the leaves, not the flower! And I think you have to actually buy it from the grocery store as if you ate the ones from your lawn, you may get sick! They taste pretty good, like spinach and I assume they are healthy - green leafy veg. I just checked one of my books and it says this about dandelion - "The name dandelion comes from the French dents des lions meaning teeth of lion and describing the leaves. Dandelion leaves are good sources of iron, copper and can be used in fresh salads. Dandelion "coffee" can be made from the chopped and roasted roots."

Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

My father was crazy for dandelion. He picked the smallest plants in the Spring with the yellowish/whitish/greenish innards and tossed them with oil vinegar and sliced HB egg.
I LOVED it as a kid.

I imagine the older leaves could be sauteed in oil and garlic like any edible green.

Dandelion is a bitter herb (like escarole) and some people don't care for it.

For the flowers, best you can do is get a HUGE quantity, cover with water and sugar and ferment to a very sweet wine.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-07-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

ohhhhh okay thanks you guys! So I can just pick them from the garden and if they're young (do they have flowers yet or still a leaf bud or something... or the stuff you blow away? sorry my english isnt very good) then I can eat the raw, if they're older (so is that when the yellow flower comes out) I should sautť it. Thanks!!! Do I eat the stalk too? No, right? Just the leaves. Okay thanks man.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
You know, those yellow flowers in the grass. We treat them as weed. I had no idea you could eat them. How do you eat them? Do you cook the leaves? Or do you eat it raw? And is it super healthy? Or even healthy at all? Or I dont know whats it good for? Thanks...
You can drink it as tea!! I actually drink dandelion tea - its suposed to be good for detox.

When I was a kid we used to drink a soda called Dandelion and Burdock. Those herbs have been used in europe for centuries to cure anything and everything.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Oh, and yeah my friend used to grow them in her garden and just go out and pick some of the leaves for a salad. Just wash em and eat!! Though they are a bit bitter, so beware!!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #7

jazzyE HB User

I love dandelion leaves. I get them in bulk at an asian market. I usually steam them lightly first, then quickly saute them in a little coconut oil and fresh lemon juice and garlic. My 3 year old son loves them. I prefer dandelion over spinach because it doesn't get as soft and soggy when cooked, and I like it better than turnip or mustard greens because it's not as bitter.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

wow!!! Thanks for your ideas guys I'm going to try this all when summer arrives lol! Thankss.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
(male)

vinny1957 HB User

Lenin is your family Italian? Because we did the same thing and still do today.
There's some Italian stores here in Denver Colo. that sell bags of dandelion in the spring that gets picked in the mountains. All but the stem of the flower and the flower we don't eat. We clean it real good, use oil and vinager, sometimes with hard boiled eggs and eat it as a salad. I heard it could be used in soups as well.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

vinny,
No, my father was Austrian but I grew up in a very Italian neighborhood, so I'm not sure whether my father's love of dandelions came fro Austria or Italy (or a little of both!)

Justanothergirl,

They taste best if they are picked BEFORE they even send up a flower bud.

I've thought about going out scavenging but since I'm in the NYC area, EVERYBODY has a dog and the thought of dog droppings in my salad is unsavory!
Probably I'll give it a shot in the Spring.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-08-2005 at 05:56 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #11

Cuppycake HB User

If you pick them from the yard, make sure they aren't sprayed with pesticides!!

Closed Thread