It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #16
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: What is good with cottage cheese?

Apple butter or pineapple.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #17

ocurt HB User

I personally like mixing low fat cottage cheese into my salad! that way i use less dressing... it's also pretty tasty too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #18
(female)

dahlia41 HB User

I like savory things, not sweet, so I put in spices: Mrs. Dash, garlic, onion powder, if you're planning ahead you can put in dried chives (give it a day), or if you have fresh chives that's good, too.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

I put it in my salads. I eat the fat free Borden or Light and Lively brand. It actually goes really will with the fat free Kraft Caesar Italian dressing. I also put it in my pocket pita bread with grilled chicken, lettuce, and same dressing.

Jenteal

Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #20

Lady_Raven HB User

Here is what I've found that tastes REALLY good in cottage cheese or plain yogurt: a cut up banana, cinnamon and some splenda mixed all into it. I'm not allowed to have a lot of sugar so that is what I eat when I get a craving for something sweet. I love it!

Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I haven't tried them all yet, but the thing I've found that I like best in cottage cheese (so far), is seasoning salt. I just put a bit on it, stir it up and it tastes not too bad. I still have lots of ideas to try though, but in the meantime I think I'm getting used to it.

Whiskers

Old 02-16-2005, 06:13 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Hi again,

I'm the fan of the full fat (4%) Axelrod Creamed Cottage Cheese from earlier in the thread. Just to see why people may hate hate cottage cheese, I bought Axelrod 1% fat no salt added this week.
It was a horrible, tart, grainy mess that I judged inedible and tossed it in the trash (on sale for $1.24 this week so no biggy.)

There is a WORLD of difference between the two, and to anyone who THINKS he hates CC: if you've only had the low fat or non fat, try again with the REAL stuff.
(And Axelrod is the best of the SALE brands, sometimes even $.99 a pound...Breakstones and Friendhip are AWFUL)

Last edited by Lenin; 02-16-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is the 4% fat, really fattening? Because if it is, I guess that defeats the whole purpose of learning to like cottage cheese in the first place. But if it's not, then I will try that kind next time! Thanks!

Whiskers

Old 02-17-2005, 05:42 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It's a matter of degree, Whiskers.
A cup of 4% cottage cheese is about the same as a cup of whole milk. Compared to a cup of 1% milk (or cottage cheese) there's a caloric difference, but it's not Earth shattering.
Both can be consider "low-fat" if compared with a REAL cheese which is 50-70% fat.
It all depends on how you want to allot your day's calories. Cottage cheese is high protein and satisfying (and EASY) so I judge it a good choice. Eating the non-fat one that tastes wretched seems a horrible way to go through life.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #25

misery hates company HB User

Haha, this may be a lil late, but for me...it's never too late to talk about cottage cheese. I love cottage cheese in all it's forms. It's like a love affair if you will. My mom got me hooked on cottage cheese with chex mix. I eat it with tons of stuff. I like crunchy things so I'll mix a lil cereal with it for a snack. I put it on tacos, nachos, sandwiches, salads...or I just eat it plain. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I eat it as a snack...I eat it before bed. Well, I may be exxagerating...I don't eat it every day all the time, but these are all the times I could eat it. It can also be substituted for riccota in low fat lasagnas...

Let's think, I eat it on bagels (when I eat bagels...which is quite rare)
Sometimes I slap it on some toast and fold over the toast and perhaps mix in some mustard.
Definately with chex mix is how I first started eating it though...

I *heart* cottage cheese.

Emi

Old 03-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

This is the wrong question to ask me because I eat cottage cheese with EVERYTHING! I love mixing cereal into it with raisins or bananas, putting berries or fruit in it, with eggs, on top of bagels with a little bit of salt, pepper, and tomatoe...I could go on and on. My very favorite kind is Horizon Lowfat Cottage Cheese...Also, if you like sweeter things, try mixing a packet of splenda or equal in it for a sweet treat...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Chunks of pineapple are DELCIOUS with cottage cheese. Also, try making an omelette and using cottage cheese as a filling with herbs or quick stir fried veggies.

But really, if you dislike it that much why not eat plain, live yoghurt instead - its high in protein and has calcium and accodophuls.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Eating the non-fat one that tastes wretched seems a horrible way to go through life.
haha - too funny!!

Old 03-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I agree with the comment about nonfat cottage cheese - it is terrible! Lowfat is definitely the way to go. Sometimes Knudsen lowfat is a little too creamy, though. You might want to try Trader Joe's or Horizon (like I mentioned before). I am way too into this cottage cheese thread!! Lol...

Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,
Cottage cheese has actually really been growing on me! I eat it almost every day now (not very much, but a couple of spoonfulls), and I find that it satisfies a strange craving that I get once in awhile... I generally just eat it plain, and I like it fine and dandy. I think I will try it with some fruit though (I have yet to do that), it sounds like it might be a tasty dessert.

Whiskers

Closed Thread