HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   What is good with cottage cheese? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/251199-what-good-cottage-cheese.html)

WhiskersOnKittens 02-09-2005 12:01 AM

What is good with cottage cheese?

Hello everyone,
I am really trying to clean up my eating habits, and I've heard that cottage cheese is very healthy. I remember not liking it from my childhood, but I thought maybe my tastes had changed, and so I went out and bought some. It is tolerable, but I still don't ENJOY eating it. My question is, does anybody know if there is anything you can eat it with that would make it tastier? I heard that cinnamon can be quite good sprinkled on top, but I tried that tonight, and didn't quite take to it.... Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

Whiskers :wave:

P.S. It is 1%, if that makes a difference in the taste :confused:

Lenin 02-09-2005 05:31 AM

Re: What is good with cottage cheese?

Whisker,

Try the Creamed 4% from Axelrod...it makes a BIG difference. I'll bet you cann scarf it up right out of the container (maybe a teeny shake of salt.)

AmandaH 02-09-2005 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=Lenin]Whisker,

Try the Creamed 4% from Axelrod...it makes a BIG difference. I'll bet you cann scarf it up right out of the container (maybe a teeny shake of salt.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't eat the 1% cottage cheese. It is the only dairy product that I can't stand low-fat or fat-free. The only time I ever eat canned fruit is with cottage cheese. I like peaches or pineapple with it. And, I buy the kind (fruit) in water or its own juice. It is also good with just a little salt, like Lenin said. I haven't tried the brand he mentioned, though. I will have to give it a try.

Jess75 02-09-2005 07:12 AM

I LOVE the organic cottage cheese made from Stoneyfield, it may be a dollar more than conventional but the taste is SOOOO much better that it is worth the extra buck. Btw, I don't get EVERYTHING organically grown, but some of the stuff tastes MUCH better. Preferably (if your watching your fat), I like the 2% kind with a little salt. :p It's real rich and creamy and I just bought some conventional kind yesterday and I can't eat it now cause I tried Stoneyfield's, lol.

Btw, what did you hear about cottage cheese that was good? I know it's a good source of protein and has the healthy bacteria in it (I dunno about the bacteria in conventional). Is there something else I should know? :D

justanothagirl 02-09-2005 07:23 AM

You guys should try quark... or something. kwark in dutch. It's almost the same as cottage cheese, only smoother like yogurt (but less watery). It's just as healthy and it's delicious when it's non/low-fat.

Hitmen 02-09-2005 07:30 AM

I don't really like cottage cheese at all. However, I found I can't taste it when I mix it in with oatmeal.

Drakes_mom 02-09-2005 07:38 AM

I also like fresh peaches with it....or I slice tomatos onto it and use fresh ground pepper..this is quite good!

Jogaholic 02-09-2005 08:24 AM

I really like crushed pineapple or strawberry jelly in my cottage cheese - I liked those prepackaged cottage cheese & fruit things from the store, but found that I could make it just as easily at home for cheaper!

Losec20mg 02-09-2005 09:37 AM

have you tried mixing it up with your pasta..mmm thats what I do. ;)

ChappyBoy 02-09-2005 10:51 AM

a twinkie.

justanothagirl 02-09-2005 11:20 AM

whats a twinkie?

lindan 02-09-2005 11:28 AM

It is only tolerable to me also...unless I eat it with cantelope. Makes a great low fat meal.

ChappyBoy 02-09-2005 01:42 PM

Whats a twinkie! Its a whipped cream filling covered in a light cake but I call it heaven

justanothagirl 02-09-2005 04:08 PM

oh like a puff cake?

WhiskersOnKittens 02-09-2005 11:42 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, guys! The only kind I saw in the store that I went to was the generic kind (I bought it at Save On Foods, here in Canada). There was 1%, 2% and non-fat (I believe it was called). I wasn't sure what to get, but I didn't think that it would taste too different from %, to %. I think tonight I will try having it with a piece of fruit... That seems to be the most popular opinion right now. I think I only have apples and bananna's, so maybe I'll try cutting up an apple in it. I hope it tastes better!
Oh and by the way, the only things that I've heard are good about cottage cheese, are that it's very high in protein, and low in fat. I guess for people who really like it, it's worth getting, but I'm not sure if I'll be buying it again. Maybe it's an aquired (sp?) taste... :rolleyes:

Whiskers :wave: