It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
adding the good oils (olive,Flax)

I just added flax oil to my diet I am using a tblsp a day, I also have 2 tblsp a day of olive oil for my salads, and sometimes a few nuts or peanut butter. Am I getting too much fat here, should I cut back. I am a very clean eater and am thin with a great exercise routien but I do not want to gain any weight. I have heard that adding these oils can even help your metabolisim is this true.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: adding the good oils (olive,Flax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad2
I just added flax oil to my diet I am using a tblsp a day, I also have 2 tblsp a day of olive oil for my salads, and sometimes a few nuts or peanut butter. Am I getting too much fat here, should I cut back. I am a very clean eater and am thin with a great exercise routien but I do not want to gain any weight. I have heard that adding these oils can even help your metabolisim is this true.
It is true however that too much fat will result in a weight gain, like we all know. But, if the rest of your diet is primarily low fat, then I wouldn't worry. Did you just recently start adding more fat to your diet? Me, personally, I just take one tsp of fish oil a day, a tbs of ground flax, and a few walnuts pretty much everyday(olive oil in salads occasionally). I'm also thin, and I'm maintaing my weight pretty good. Doesn't flaxseed oil have like 15 grams of fat in it? 2 tbs of flaxseeds have 7gr plus your getting added fiber and it's just better for you.

Last edited by Jess75; 02-10-2005 at 09:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I have been taking oils for about 2 years but recently switched over to flax oil, I was taking a gel cap that had fish, flax, and borage oil but I heard that flax oil was better for you if you took the oil, something about the rate it absorbs. I also read that it was great fror skin and nails. I have noticed a difference but I really don't want to put on any weight and I do eat other oils and nuts on a daily basis.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

Iadinae HB User

As long as your total calorie intake remains the same you should not gain any weight. If you are still eating the same and ADDING the oils on top of it, then you should expect some weight gain unless you have compensated with your workout routine by burning off the extra calories from the oils you are taking. It still goes along with the simple calorie in vs calorie out idea of weight loss and gain. It doesn't matter where your calories are coming from, just that they are there and if you are not burning off as much as you are taking in, then you should expect some weight gain. One pound for every 3500 calories of excess.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Ive been eating ground flax. it tastes really good to me and you still get the benefits. Whole seeds will not give you those same benefits, and the oil is probably the best, but I pay 3 dollars for a big bag of ground flax, and get the added benefit of lots of fiber. I also watch my fat intake, so this is currently the only fatty acid I consume regularly. I have taken fish oil but wasnt too horribly impressed, and though olive oil is good, Im mainly sticking to flax right now.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryb
Ive been eating ground flax. it tastes really good to me and you still get the benefits. Whole seeds will not give you those same benefits, and the oil is probably the best, but I pay 3 dollars for a big bag of ground flax, and get the added benefit of lots of fiber. I also watch my fat intake, so this is currently the only fatty acid I consume regularly. I have taken fish oil but wasnt too horribly impressed, and though olive oil is good, Im mainly sticking to flax right now.
I've read over and over again to choose ground flax seeds over the oil.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

tdot HB User

I find ground flax more enjoyable to use. I buy it already ground. I use it with yogurt, on salads and in smoothies to add a crunchy taste!

Closed Thread