It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

sweeterz12321 HB User
Splenda and Aspartame

i heard that sugar substitute is bad but then splenda is said to be made from sugar itself. does anyone know the risks or have any input on this?

Old 02-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Splenda and Aspartame

Splenda is no more related to sugar than cyanide (CN) is to charcoal (C). A SlIGHT chemical change yieds an ENTIRELY new molecule, with entirely different properties.

The best way to evaluate artificial sweetners is whether or not the trillions of doses used over the past decades has created any obvious problems.
Seems only saccharine qualifies as a problem: cancer!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-12-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

KHPtotherescue HB User

I'm a diabetic-Type 1 and have to use sweetener in place of sugar. I've heard about the effects that aspartame can give people. My dietician suggested that I stop using it also. So I tried to switch over to the Splenda . I tried for almost two months to use the product. It made me sick to my stomach. I even vomitted some products that contained it. However, when I use aspartame nothing like that happens. So I'm stuck at a rock and a hard place. The theory is that aspartame is dangerous; but I've never gotten bad headaches from it; nor do I have any illnesses associated with it. I'm just going to have to use it because the Splenda and I don't get along.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
(male)

jurry HB User

Simply, Splenda is not sugar. It is made from sucralose which is not sugar. it replaces some moleculs with Chlorine during the manufacturing process.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

KHP,
Splenda tends to give me a headache, whereas I have no problems with aspartame, so aspartame is my choice.
I also think aspartame tastes a little better than Splenda, but sweetness is a very personal perception. I think anyone trying to make a decision should dissolve a packet of each in an ounce of water and have somebody admisnister a BLIND test. Perhaps even add some cyclamate if you are near enough to the Canadian border (it's sold everywhere there.)

Use the one that tastes best.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-15-2005 at 05:28 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
(male)

jurry HB User

Splenda tends to give me cramps. I feel all bloated and get cramps after I have any of it. Then those feelings usually lead to diarrhea which isn't fun.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I'm new on this forum; this subject caught my eye since I prefer not to use either. I am extremely sensitive to sugar (from any source) and sweetners tend to upset my stomach as well as give me headaches.

My alternative is stevia. It is available as powdered leaf, powdered extract (comes in packets and container) and liquid extract. The powdered extract is white and dissolves readily; the powdered leaf however is green and doesn't dissolve (I don't know many people who prefer it in this form but it's the least expensive). It is used as a sugar substitute 1 teaspoon of powder in place of 1 cup of sugar (it's VERY sweet).

It has not been shown to have a glycemic effect whatsoever. I can personally attest that it has caused me absolutely no problems since I started using it 2 years ago. I use it in everything from tea to biscuits to my yogurt breakfast shakes. It's definately something you have to experiment with since it does have a taste all it's own.

Just wanted to add my two cents. I'd always rather go with real food than chemical substitutes.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 02-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
(female)

cdsjtsmom HB User

Kelly, So where do you get this stevia? I use Splenda.. well up to a few weeks ago when more reports came out about it.....

Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
(male)

jurry HB User

The reports keep coming in too. More and more organizations are standing up against the makers of Splenda. It's interesting to read all the information about it.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

aspartame is related to seizures - there are many research studies to back this up - if you have epilepsy or know someone who does beware of aspartame

Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #11
(male)

jurry HB User

I shared this recently in another board, but I also found that Splenda is manufactured using phosgene, which is a poisonous gas.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

For a nice healthy and natural snack/dessert with no unhealthy sugars try this:

Put a 1/4 cup each of dates and raisins in processor and process to a puree add 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup unsweetened desicated coconut and tbsp or more of grated orange peel.

Process on a chop setting so you still have small pieces of nuts. If the mixture isn't bound, sprinkle and few drops of water and process.

Roll up into balls and enjoy!! Tasty and with only natural healthy sugars

If you want to, you could put them in the oven on low heat for 5 minutes and they taste like sticky buns!!

Last edited by veggie girl; 03-21-2005 at 12:29 PM. Reason: put blender instead of processor (dates and raisins won't blend in blender)

Old 03-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
(female)

tdot HB User

All of the studies conducted with artificial sweeteners were conducted with rodents. Basically what would happen is they would give the rodent a huge quantity of a sweetener and it would develop cancer or DNA mutation. For a human the conversion for these studies is a lot more as we are larger. I have read that a human would have to drink 28 cans of diet pop a day for 6 months to have the same effects that the rodent studies would have.

If sweeteners don't bother you (i.e headache, vomiting etc), and you consume them in moderation, I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
(female)

runnergirl HB User

splenda is FINE! perfectly safe. a hydroxyl group (O=H) from a sugar molecule (sucrose) is inverted from cis- to trans- and then it does not get absorbed as sugar in this form. it could not be more natural and safe, despite what propaganda and special interest groups want the public to believe. i use it all the time.

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Aspartame, Cyclamates, and Splenda are perfectly safe products FAR more healthy than the sugar they replace in our diets.

Those who choose the "urban legends" of the Internet are free to think that all three are deady poisons concocted by some GOLDFINGER or DOCTOR NO to destroy the population of Earth. Perhaps the G'O'ULD, or the REPLICATORS even had a part in the fiendish plot?

I prefer to believe the World Health Organization and the FDA's of every major country on the planet, who are unanimous in their agreement that the sugar substitutes are perfectly safe. (Well, except the U.S.A's head-in-the sand approach to cyclamate...that's politics.)

Probably several TRILLION doses of aspartame have been tried by humans. No drug in history has ever had this kind of intense testing except perhaps aspirin.
If it were as bad as some of these "made up reports" we'd be stepping over bodies every day on our way to work! Many would have a torn open blue packet in hand or a Diet Coke can laying next to a briefcase!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-22-2005 at 05:00 AM.

Closed Thread