It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

healthy2b HB User
Question Totally Confused: Diet and Wheat Q's

Hello All..been reading alot of your posts.

Jan. 2 of this year, I changed my whole lifestyle. Now the more I research I realize some of the grains I've been eating are not the best. I am so confused. I switched everything to whole grain, bread, pasta, and all carbs. I no longer eat white bread, white potatoes, sugar etc....I have lost weight and am doing fine but I don't just want to diet, I want a lifestyle change and am more concerned with health! Now I read and hear that whole grain is not the best for you?

So confused.

Also, I am researching two things. Dr. Nicholas Perricone- The Perricone Promise....amazing lifestyle plan, guarantees upmost health and success. Anyone heard or tried it?

Also, benefits to coconut oil, cutting out most carbs and using the CO is supposed to be amazing as well..

Any input would be appreciated..
Thanks,
Healthy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Totally Confused: Diet and Wheat Q's

Hi healthy! Yeah, there is a lot of contradictory information out there. I've been researching sporadically for a couple of years now (after a health crisis) and continue to question choices. Certainly many choices I make have not been "scientifically" proven, but having seen the "official" line on nutrition flip-flop over the past couple of decades and having looked into some of these "studies" my respect for anecdotal evidence has increased tremendously. Plus, I think there are individual differences. I would recommend continuing to read and see what seems best to you. If you have not done so yet, check out the Weston A. Price Foundation to get your head really turned around.

Perricone is a sound, healthy plan.

I've started using coconut oil, too . . . not consistently enough to come to any conclusions.

Personally, I am not a big fan of wheat, in particularly. I switched to Ezekiel bread, eat a fair amount of brown rice and oatmeal (which I think doesn't have some of the problems other whole grains do) and otherwise eat dried legumes for my starches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

healthy2b HB User

Hi AJ~

Thank you so much for the reply. I always feel better when bouncing ideas off someone else especially when they are somewhat similar to mine, than I am comfortable going with my own answers. I feel balance is key and nothing is set in stone, therefore I agree with oatmeal and a few other things but for the most part, will look into other grains.

I love the WP website and have been researching it like crazy. Not able to get into their theories on milk though, too much for me, but again, balance is key.

I am going out today to buy the Perricone book. Looks very promising. However, I was concerned with eating wild salmon EVERYDAY! Not sure how I feel about that yet. Will continue checking it out.

Thanks so much, and also, from my extensive web searches on Coconut Oil, the people that have benefited the greatest, limited carbs greatly while cooking and using CO for everything else......again balance...perhaps mixing it all would be good!
LOL..

Thanks again!
Healthy

Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy2b
I am going out today to buy the Perricone book. Looks very promising. However, I was concerned with eating wild salmon EVERYDAY! Not sure how I feel about that yet. Will continue checking it out.
I have only read reviews and comments on his book . . . and seen his show that aired on PBS . . . but I knew he recommended salmon everyday for a limited period of time (like leading up to some big event when you want to be at your best), but does he recommend it indefinitely? Hummmmm. Not sure I could keep that up for long.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

From what I've read, it seems like whole (no husk removed) grains such as barley, brown and wild rice, oats and quinoa ARE good for you.

I've yet to find any article suggesting that you should not eat these things.

I think milk is a big no-no. Other than the dairy industries marketing campaigns I've read nothing but bad stuff about milk. (though yoghurt and kerfir is good)

Good for you changing your diet. Its not easy. Good luck

Closed Thread