It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 PM   #1

pjlc HB User
Trying to gain some weight the healthy way

I live a healthy, active lifestyle, don't eat any sweets at all (I don't miss it after giving it up a few years back), and eat about 2000 calories of balanced, organic food per day. I'm 25, and thin. I used to be about 155-160 pounds, but have lost weight these past few years. I'd like to gain back some weight a bit, since I'm 6'2".
Any more than about 2000 calories per day, and I'm stuffed, so perhaps changing content would help.
Regardless of how much I eat, for weeks on end even, I do not gain any significant weight for any long period of time. And even when I gain, I top out at some number and cannot get past it. Then it is too difficult to maintain that weight, so it drops back down again...
I'd like to avoid protein shakes and other such weight-gain methods, so instead I thought I'd ask here:

What healthy foods do you think are more condusive than average, to gaining weight? I'd guess an addition of about 0.5-1.0 pounds per week would be reasonable. I hear this takes about 500 additional calories per day, though that is hard for me to do.
[Perhaps this is my natural body type, but then why would I weigh less than I did before...]

Thank you for any thoughts.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Trying to gain some weight the healthy way

pjlc,

I looked back on your earlier posts and found your sex (male.)
I think the right approach for you to to pack on some muscle weight, rather than just WEIGHT. A regular program of resistance training and a small increase in food (calories) primarily from meat, fish and eggs will give you what you are looking for...a little more weight in an attractive and stronger package.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
(male)

thebluedog HB User

pjlc,

I can relate to you completely. I am also 6'2" and am fairly thin for my height. I've struggled all my life to maintain a decent weight. I now weigh 175, which takes a lot of work me to maintain. I do lift weights and have a thin muscular build, but would like to weigh 190. I haven't given up. I, like you, believe in gaining weight "the healthy way". You don't want to start eating fast food and junk in order to gain weight. Gaining weight is a lifestyle change. It's not something you can do for 6 months and stop. You have to set up a routine that you are comfortable with. Sorry to sound like I'm preaching here, but many people don't realize that whether you're trying to gain weight or lose weight, that it is a LIFESTYLE change. This is what I would recommend:

1. Increase your calories, this is must! You are right. In order to put on .5 to 1 pound of weight per week, you will need to add about 500 calories per day

2. Lifts weights...
you will want to evenly distribute your new gained weight. All you need is at least 2 hours per week to lift weights. More time would be better, but a minimum of 2 hours per week would do it. More specifically, 1 hour, 2 times per week. You would want to do a full body routine if you only have 2 days per week to workout. Focus on your major muscles groups, i.e., your chest, back, shoulders, legs. You would also want to do less reps on each exercise. After your warm up set, I would try to aim for no more than 8 reps.

3. Eat 5 to 6 small meals per day

4. You will need to add more protein and higher calorie foods to your diet. It's a challenge to find healthy high calorie foods, but natural peanut butter, almonds, olive oil are good sources. Also, I think it's ok to add some fat to your diet, especially the fats that are in the foods I just listed. Those fats are mono and poly unsaturated fats. You should really consider adding protein shakes to your diet b/c it's quick and easy. You're going to need "quick and easy" when trying to eat 5-6 times per day.
A good sample diet that I eat on a typical day would be:
breakfast: Whey protein powder mixed with soy milk, honey, blueberries, a table spoon of flax seed oil (healthy fats)
2 slices of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter (high calories with healthy fats) total calories of meal=600
morning snack: all natural soy protein bar = 300 calories
lunch: sliced turkey, albacore tuna, or chicken breast with whole wheat bread
16 ounce soy milk or you could substitute low fat milk
600 calories
afternoon snack: Protein drink or bar 300 calories
dinner: whole wheat pasta with chicken, olive oil, vegetables
more soy milk or low fat milk (16 ounces)
700 calories
before bedtime snack: 2 slices of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter 400 calories

The total calories for this example diet is about 3000 calories. I know it's a lot of work. This is what I do to maintain my weight. I hope this info helps. Let me know what you decide to do.

P.S. A small bone structure will make you look thinner and weigh less.

best of luck!

Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM   #4

llamamuffinmama HB User

Do you like olive oil? I love it, personally. If I weren't trying to lose/maintain my weight, I'd be tempted to drizzle it on everything. If you like it and want to gain, that would be a great way to add good fat and extra calories. Also, peanutbutter and almond butter are high in calories, fat, and protein, and have a great nutrient profile. A little of that on some toast for a snack could go a long way.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
(male)

lugter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedog
pjlc,

I can relate to you completely. I am also 6'2" and am fairly thin for my height. I've struggled all my life to maintain a decent weight. I now weigh 175, which takes a lot of work me to maintain. I do lift weights and have a thin muscular build, but would like to weigh 190. I haven't given up. I, like you, believe in gaining weight "the healthy way". You don't want to start eating fast food and junk in order to gain weight. Gaining weight is a lifestyle change. It's not something you can do for 6 months and stop. You have to set up a routine that you are comfortable with. Sorry to sound like I'm preaching here, but many people don't realize that whether you're trying to gain weight or lose weight, that it is a LIFESTYLE change. This is what I would recommend:

1. Increase your calories, this is must! You are right. In order to put on .5 to 1 pound of weight per week, you will need to add about 500 calories per day

2. Lifts weights...
you will want to evenly distribute your new gained weight. All you need is at least 2 hours per week to lift weights. More time would be better, but a minimum of 2 hours per week would do it. More specifically, 1 hour, 2 times per week. You would want to do a full body routine if you only have 2 days per week to workout. Focus on your major muscles groups, i.e., your chest, back, shoulders, legs. You would also want to do less reps on each exercise. After your warm up set, I would try to aim for no more than 8 reps.

3. Eat 5 to 6 small meals per day

4. You will need to add more protein and higher calorie foods to your diet. It's a challenge to find healthy high calorie foods, but natural peanut butter, almonds, olive oil are good sources. Also, I think it's ok to add some fat to your diet, especially the fats that are in the foods I just listed. Those fats are mono and poly unsaturated fats. You should really consider adding protein shakes to your diet b/c it's quick and easy. You're going to need "quick and easy" when trying to eat 5-6 times per day.
A good sample diet that I eat on a typical day would be:
breakfast: Whey protein powder mixed with soy milk, honey, blueberries, a table spoon of flax seed oil (healthy fats)
2 slices of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter (high calories with healthy fats) total calories of meal=600
morning snack: all natural soy protein bar = 300 calories
lunch: sliced turkey, albacore tuna, or chicken breast with whole wheat bread
16 ounce soy milk or you could substitute low fat milk
600 calories
afternoon snack: Protein drink or bar 300 calories
dinner: whole wheat pasta with chicken, olive oil, vegetables
more soy milk or low fat milk (16 ounces)
700 calories
before bedtime snack: 2 slices of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter 400 calories

The total calories for this example diet is about 3000 calories. I know it's a lot of work. This is what I do to maintain my weight. I hope this info helps. Let me know what you decide to do.

P.S. A small bone structure will make you look thinner and weigh less.

best of luck!
AMEN!

Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

haha thebluedog, u know ur stuff!! lol.

Closed Thread