HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Snack Attack!!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/255563-snack-attack.html)

caliann24 02-22-2005 09:44 AM

Snack Attack!!!

Hello,
I have been doing really well watching what I have been eating over the past few months. However, usually around 3:00 in the afternoon, I get really hungry before I get home. Does anyone have any suggestions on a healthy snack I can munch on until I get home? I have tried fruit, non-fat smoothies, cereal... but nothing really tides me over until dinner. Let me know, I want to run to the store on my lunch break today... I need ideas!!!

Cuppycake 02-22-2005 09:59 AM

Re: Snack Attack!!!

I like fat free jello pudding cups for an afternoon snack. Or fat free saltine crackers with reduced fat peanut butter. Nabisco 100 calorie snacks are good, I like the oreo crisps and the cheese nips. Hope that helps.

rubato 02-22-2005 10:27 AM

Pretzels are always good. And you can dip them in peanut butter or fat free dressing, depending on your tastes. I also like the 100 calorie bags and they have some new ones out now. :)

caliann24 02-22-2005 10:32 AM

100 cal packs seem like a great idea... Beats my boss' candy jar... Thanks. If anyone else has suggestions... Fire away!

Cali

caliann24 02-22-2005 01:13 PM

Okay!!! It's 3:00 and I didn't have time to go to the store. I am so hungry, I can't concentrate. The only thing we have in the office are those "Zone Perfect" bars. I am tempted to go for it, but it seems to be too much fat and calories. fat 7g (3g saturated), calories 260!!! and 22g of carbs, none of which are dietary fiber. What's the craze with these things, are they really not that bad for you? I am going to work out later for about an hour and a half... What should I do?

bluehen94 02-22-2005 02:53 PM

I think bars are OK, just make sure you choose one that doesn't have too much sugar. Other snack ideas, maybe a handful of nuts, nuts are a healthy snack, or maybe cottage cheese and fruit. I personally have never tried it, but some of the veterans on the exercise board recommend beef or Turkey jerky for snacks. Sounds like your snacks are mostly all carbs, try combining with some protein you might feel fuller.

juicylicious 02-22-2005 05:01 PM

what about one of those protein shakes in a can? the atkins ones have about 150 calories (better than a bar) and they taste like an ok milkshake... you could put it in the fridge at work....i would stay away from the crackers and carbs, the protein will make you feel alot more full, plus it takes awhile to drink it if its cold so there is more time to register a feeling of fullness...

liza2 02-22-2005 05:52 PM

baby carrots and low fat salad dressing... mmmm!! or apples and cheese, another good one!

Losec20mg 02-22-2005 06:44 PM

hehe how bout slice of good bread with pb..or nutella..mmm cheese with fruits is good..yum..rice cakes with penut butter..hehyumy :)

veggie girl 02-22-2005 08:02 PM

Maybe you should eat a larger lunch. Or, maybe buy a large lunch and save half of it for when your 3pm hunger thingy hits.

Or how about soup? Do you have access to a microwave? Or how about a can or pack of tuna on some ryvita?

Don't just let yourself get hungry and then eat whatever crap is available be prepared, anticipate your hunger and have good food ready. If you only felt hungry now and then it wouldn't matter, but if you're like that EVERY day, then make that your 2nd lunchtime and have a small meal ready.

fawn512 02-22-2005 08:38 PM

are bagels good?

caliann24 02-23-2005 07:21 AM

I try to stear clear of the bagles!!! My roomate loves them, and they love her butt! Anyways, Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I just need to plan my days a bit better. I usually plan a walk to the store around 2, but on days I can't I guess i should bring stuff with me. The protien shakes sound good. I eat a decent lunch around 12, but I am going to try to push it back an hour or so. We have lots of junk food around here, but I always try to avoid it. I did try one of those bars yesterday, it acually gave me a lot of energy for my work out last night. I still hesitate though because of all the fat and cals. Soups would work too. Thanks!!! I also found that drinking one of those huge 99 cent Arizona green tea things usually tames my hunger, or a low cal Jamba Juice... Mmmm!!!

Hitmen 02-23-2005 03:24 PM

An apple and peanut butter.

caliann24 02-24-2005 07:30 AM

Is peanut butter for you, and on the same note... are nuts in general good for you. Once again, I stray away form these because of the high fat... but I know that they have a lot of protien... Which I do need, because I rarely eat meat. What are some other low-fat protien substitution suggestions? I got some fat-free cottage cheese, that is good... but, I'm afraid I will get sick of it.

caliann24 02-24-2005 07:34 AM

I meant to say... Is peanut butter GOOD for you...