It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
No dairy, wheat or potatoes, what can I eat?

Hi
Ive been told I have food intolerances for dairy, wheat, potatoes and tomatoes. Ive managed to get through two weeks of this but am starting to get fed up of rice - rice, rice noodles, rice milk .......
I have corn pasta occasionally but any ideas on what other carbohydrates I can have in my evening meals?
Also if you have a great snack or packed lunch idea please share it - I am fed up of fruit and nut bars!
By the way I am trying to put on weight.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Last edited by Tesss; 02-24-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: No dairy, wheat or potatoes, what can I eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesss
I have corn pasta occasionally but any ideas on what other carbohydrates I can have in my evening meals?
I like soba noodles - they usually are a mix including wheat, but many health food stores have the 100 percent buckwheat variety. Legumes/lentils (canned are REALLY easy, but lentils cook up quite quickly). Winter squash. Quinoa is also really easy and quick (health food store). Rye crackers (Wasa and Ryvita both have 100 percent rye varieties).

Quote:
Also if you have a great snack or packed lunch idea please share it - I am fed up of fruit and nut bars!
Can you have spelt? And how about sprouted wheat, like in Ezekiel Bread? If so, that makes bread type things easier. Otherwise you could pack up salads. If you use romaine lettuce, you can use the long leaves to wrap up the filling (tuna/salmon/chicken/egg salad made with a non-dairy salad dressing, or just about any meat).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I recommend you go on the Gluten free diet, there are some much foods you can eat..good cookies that are milk free and, gluten wheat free..etc in you haelth food stores..you can also have corn tortillas..like wrapes..tostitos chips corn chips, cracker jacks..if you do some research you'll be eating more foods then the rest of us..don't give up, your life has just begun

Old 02-25-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Thanks both, for these suggestions. Im going to go shopping tomorrow and get everything! I really like the idea about using romaine lettuce leaves to wrap food. I really like crisps so will look out for corn chips etc.
You are right that I will be eating more foods than the rest of us, in the last two weeks Ive had more variety in my meals than I have in the last 3 years!
Cheers!
What do you eat when you really need something comforting to eat - ie in place of chocolate?

Old 02-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

bananas, pine apples, rice cakes with penut butter, energy bars, baby carottes..wheat free muffins..etc..

Old 02-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tess,
Who told you that you were intolerant of all those foods? There are a lot of people claiming the nomiker "Nutritionist" who know little more than your mailman!

Old 02-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Hi
Ive been told I have food intolerances for dairy, wheat, potatoes and tomatoes. Ive managed to get through two weeks of this but am starting to get fed up of rice - rice, rice noodles, rice milk .......
By the way I am trying to put on weight.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated
Well, veggies and fruit have carbs.

But if you mean what kind of grain can you eat, you can eat quinoa, millet, brown wild rice and oats. You could also eat boiled lentils instead of a grain - that has protein and carbs. Or how about beans?

You just need to change your view of what a meal should be - ie grain/pasta, veg and meat. You don't necessarily need grain with every meal. Make a nice piece of tofu/fish/chicken the focus of your meal and then add veggies or beans etc to complete your meal.

When I first cut my carbs (ie potatoes, bread, white rice etc) I was left feeling the same as you, that in inextracable part of a meal (as I knew it) was going to be gone. But, once you eat meals without pasta or white rice for a few weeks you'll forget that you ever even ate pasta and white rice.

BTW: you can use millet to make a mashed potatoes substitute. Boil 1 cup millet with I small cauliflower, 2 1/2 cups water and pinch of salt. boil for 20 mins, strain and mash. Add fresh parsley (I have never tried this, i found it in a book I have)

Old 02-27-2005, 02:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi All, thanks for all your replies.
Lenin, I went to a natural health centre and they tested using an electrical current and my body's resistance when the curent is put into contact with the foods. Im not sure if its called vega testing? I didn't tell him in advance what food I thought was causing me problems but I had suspected about them all so wasnt hugely surprised when they came up. I know it sounds dubious but it did give me the motivation to stop eating these foods. I have noticed a difference, Im not so bloated and having less and less stomach aches. I will test the foods again, I will try to reintroduce the foods after a while and see how I am with that.

Veggie Girl, I love the sound of the mashed potato substitute. You are right about the meal idea, I am so used to grain/pasta veg and meat. Ill have a go with your suggestions, i bought some lentils and quinoa yesterday. Any ideas what to do with the quinoa?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Any ideas what to do with the quinoa?
You can rinse it and cook it plain using a ratio of part quinoa to 2 parts water, boil cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Its kind of fluffy and nutty. I eat it plain with some veggies and tofu sauteed with a nice tasty ginger/lemon sauce.

You can use the leftover cooked quinoa to make a veggie rice, just sauteed some onions, carrots and peppers and then add the quinoa and a little soy sauce. Or, I'll just heat it up and sprinkle a little soy sauce on and eat it with some steamed veggies (and maybe a can of tuna or something)

Or you could make a paella or risotto. I've even heard that people eat it for breakfast like oatmeal cooked with raisins, cinnamon and a little juice! (never tried it, but it sounds interesting)

Also, you could use it to make your own healthy sushi. I've not tried this yet but will when I buy some nori sheets. Lay nori sheets flat, spread with quinoa, add slices of avocado and cucumber, role up at a little water to seam to make it stick and then cut into bite sized pieces. I can't image quinoa not working.

When I first started eating quinoa instead of white rice I did feel deprived!! I was so used to eating white rice and so used to the texture that it just didn't feel right. But now, its months later and I'm so used to it that it has become my 'white rice'. The texture is really light and won't make you feel horribly stuff like white rice does.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi All

Just wanted to say that I have been trying out your suggestions.
I had quinoa for tea tonight and it was really lovely!! I really enjoyed it so much Im going to cook some for my lunch tomorrow. Ive been eating seed and nut bars and loads of fruit. Also raisins, dried apricots. I never really liked fruit that much before but am getting into it now. I tried out the lettuce leaves wrap but couldn't get romaine lettuce, had cos instead and it was much too hard, it wouldn't roll so the insides went everywhere! I think Ill look for romaine in future.
Im looking out for tortilla/corn chips, and haven't found the soya (soba?) noodles yet.
Do you know that I think its making a difference, I have more energy and do feel generally better. So thank you all for your ideas

Best wishes

Tess

Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tess,

Are you fat?
I bellieve in cutting to the chase.
Is your goal weight loss? Or are you loOking to avoid problems that occur when you eat certain foods.
Any PAIN, hives, joint discomfort, etc.?

Gotta repeat though : WHO told you that:
"I've been told I have food intolerances for dairy, wheat, potatoes and tomatoes"

Really, there are lots of fools out there who will take your money and spout total NONSENSE....credit cards accepted!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-03-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Tess,

If you are feeling better avoiding certain foods, then you don't have to justify yourself to anybody. We're all free to make decisions for OURSELVES. It's OK if other people don't approve.

--Rheanna

Old 03-04-2005, 12:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Thank you Rheanna.
As it happens I am unhappy with my weight but I am too thin rather than too fat, as it says in post 1 of this thread. If I wanted to diet I would have said so but I am trying to put on weight so if you have any suggestions Lenin please let me know. And please look at post 8 for how I got tested, it was a pharmacist and nutritionist. And it wasn't expensive.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
haven't found the soya (soba?) noodles yet.
Yeah, it was soba.

Closed Thread