It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #1

Ophelia1920 HB User
Food sensitivity testing - quack or real?

I went to a chiropractor/nutritionist tonight for nutritional/diet/weight loss concerns and he did a food sensitivity test, and another test which involved hooking up a sensor to my foot and hand and then an electrical current supposedly saw how my body metabolizes? or something like that.

Anyways the sensitivity test (he used muscle resistance) came up with sugar, wheat, and gluten (which by a quick ****** search tells me this is what most people get).

I'm trying to cut down on sugar anyways, but wheat products would be REALLY hard to avoid.

Are these tests valid? I have no idea what to think of it! It was kind of weird. Most of the things he talked about did make sense, such as a higher metabolism will help you lose weight and in order to get the metabolism you need the muscle. And non-processed foods are much better for you than processed foods. Common sense sort of things.

I should also note that I even though I try to get low sugar/salt/fat foods and do watch what I eat, I am a picky eater (don't really like fruits, veggies) and need to lose 25 lbs.

I'm positive my weight gain hasn't been from HOW MUCH i eat. It's more of lack of exercise and I can't snack on sugary stuff like I used to, like when I was younger, and not gain weight. I'm sure my metabolism is slowing as I get older, and lack of exercise made it worse. I know it's possible for me to lose weight, it happened 4 years ago but that's because I went thru shock and depression and didn't eat much at all. And the strange thing about the shock was, I didn't even crave sugar. Lost about 25 lbs in 2 months at that time.

One of the things that did concern me about the sensitivity testing, is I am allergic to nuts. He was going to test for that without even asking if I'm allergic to anything! Sure, it's a very small concentration, but it doesn't take much to make me sick. This makes me think that they do the testing w/o asking patients if they are allergic to any foods. I had to convince him not to even bother with the nut one. That really bugged me. And why test for something that I don't eat anyways?

Should I continue to see what this guy says or run the other way?
Thanks, sorry for the long post!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Food sensitivity testing - quack or real?

Hi there,
I think you had the same testing that I had recently, its called Vega testing. Ive looked on the internet and there are mixed views on how accurate it is. Mine came up with dairy, wheat, potatoes and tomatoes. I knew about the dairy, and suspected about the others so it wasn't a huge surprise, shock yes. I guess it also depends on how skilled the person doing the testing is.
I figured that its worth a try for a month or two, and if I feel better then great, if not I will reintroduce the foods again.
The first week of giving up the food was the hardest, but it gets easier. Im making a lot of stuff from scratch, cakes etc and its really good to know exactly what I am eating. Im also trying a lot of different stuff. Im actually finding it very positive.
You mentioned about nuts, as far as I understand the food doesn't actually come into contact with the body, so I don't think it would have made you ill, it would have been good to see if the nuts came through - a bit of a test!
Hope that all helps, hang in there with it and take care
Tess

Old 02-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I think a better way to figure it out is if you go to an allergist to where they can skin test you wil certain foods, mold, animals, etc...and your skin will have a reaction if you are allergic to them. I would trust something more like that because you actually have a reaction to it.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

The trouble with allergy testing is that it will only pick up true allergies. The body has a different response to intolerances and from what I have read there aren't really any good scientific tests that can pinpoint your intolerances. I guess the only way to really tell is to stop eating the foods you think are causing the problems and see if you feel better.
Incidently the things you eat a lot of are probably whats causing you most trouble. I found that my symptoms got worse when I started trying to eat better by having breakfast every day - wheat cereals and milk when I am intolerant to wheat and dairy!

Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I used to work for a holistic doctor and at the clinic they did one of the most effective food allergy tests called RAST. However, the doctor did acknowledge that when testing the blood with various allergens for the same period of time (in terms of exposure) that some foods have a different reaction time and may not have been exposed long enough to show an allergy.

Therefore, its not totally 100% accurate, but it can give you some insight into what you might be allergic to.

You could also do your own allergy test. Take your pulse rate when you are in a rested mode. Now, when you eat some food you want to test, eat some, and then after few mintues take your pulse rate. If your heart is beating 10 beats faster per minute after eating the particular food it could indicate an allergy or sensitivity.

I did this once after eating a piece of cornbread and my heart was racing even though I was sitting down. Thoguh, i don't know WHAT in the cornbread (sugar, milk, eggs, cornmeal) it was that I was sensitive to but something in there was causing a phsycial response.

Last edited by veggie girl; 02-27-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Ophelia,

In direct answer to your question, put me firmly down as a QUACK vote. THere are a LOT of ducks out there trying to waddle their way into our wallets.

The call themselves nutritionists, applied kinesiologists, chiropractors (who then babble about food allergies???), and god knows what else.
They weren't able to get real medical training but think they can STILL diagnose and treat disease...so they use herbs, potions and battery operated made-up medical contraptions.
THink the Mony Python "Machine that went BEEEEP!."

Old 02-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I had something similar done except it was with a naturopathic doctor. I did not tell this doctor any of my problems which were many and he was able to detect everything execept one thing. From there he put me on supplements to clear my problems up and a special diet for 6 weeks and I have started losing weight which was one of my problems. I have not been able to budge a pound since last may. So I do believe this works because nothing else did for me. Including extreme exercise and a healthy eating plan (so I thought). Give it a try for 6 weeks, see what happens.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #8

Ophelia1920 HB User

Thanks for the replies! I am hesitant to go back to him. As far as allergies, I did have allergy tests done when I was younger, so I do have a good idea of what I'm allergic to (which I know it's possible to change over time). Mostly it's nuts and peanuts and sesame seeds. Other allergies too, but those are non-food.

As far as the test goes, the testing method did come in contact with my body (it was a small concentration in liquid form, dropped on the tongue). So it's possible I would have had a bad reaction to it.

He would drop the liquid on my tongue, and then told me to try and keep my arm next to my side while he tried to pull it away (muscle resistance). On the ones where I couldn't keep my arms to my side I couldn't tell if he was pulling harder or not. He said the reaction of my muscles was a nerve reaction that's immediate to whatever food drops are put on the tongue. When my muscles got "weak", hence the food sensitivity.

I did call another nutritionist (no chiropractic there as far as I know, just diet and nutrition) and she said they don't do testing like that. They just work with you for a better diet which is more what I wanted.

If you have any more comments on food sensitivity testing, feel free. I'll keep checking back. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #9

anton2 HB User

I had the same test done recently. My husband was going to this chineese naturopath for accupuncture and he made an appointment for me. I was hesitant to go. I already know I can't really handle dairy and eggs ecspecially-so I avoid those foods.
Anyway....$150.00 dollars and 2 hours later I was ******!!! He made me lie down and hold these little glass bottles that had clear liqiud in them containing the food he was testing me for. I would grip the bottle with my right and hold my left arm straight up and he would try to push my arm down. If my arm went down I was allergic if it didn't I wasn't.--talk about strange.
Here's the kicker.....I told him I get deathly ill from eggs, so when my testing was over, he told me he had to do a treatment on me. He had me lie on my stomach and hold in my right hand the bottle that contained the egg mixture. He then massagged my back with some vibrating contraption. When he was done he told me he cured me of my egg intolerance. No to answer anyone who may be wondering...I have NOT tried to eat eggs as I think he's full of *****.
So I wasted my time and money on this Q U A C K!!! And I am not happy about it one bit!!!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #10

anton2 HB User

I had the same test done recently. My husband was going to this chineese naturopath for accupuncture and he made an appointment for me. I was hesitant to go. I already know I can't really handle dairy and eggs ecspecially-so I avoid those foods.
Anyway....$150.00 dollars and 2 hours later I was ******!!! He made me lie down and hold these little glass bottles that had clear liqiud in them containing the food he was testing me for. I would grip the bottle with my right and hold my left arm straight up and he would try to push my arm down. If my arm went down I was allergic if it didn't I wasn't.--talk about strange.
Here's the kicker.....I told him I get deathly ill from eggs, so when my testing was over, he told me he had to do a treatment on me. He had me lie on my stomach and hold in my right hand the bottle that contained the egg mixture. He then massagged my back with some vibrating contraption. When he was done he told me he cured me of my egg intolerance. No to answer anyone who may be wondering...I have NOT tried to eat eggs as I think he's full of *****.
So I wasted my time and money on this Q U A C K!!! And I am not happy about it one bit!!!

Oh and BTW little Dr.Voodoo also said I was allergic to nuts, wheat, all fruits,most veggies, olive oil (but vegetable is fine) and get this.........WATER. Who on this planet is allergic to WATER?!?!? He tells me water is bad for everyone, as it puts too much strain on the kidneys. I personally think he was trying to get me sick so that I would have to come back for his wacked out treatments. So to anybody who is interested in this type of testing----save your money and sanity.

Closed Thread