It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User
I always eat fast food.

Hello. I am nearly 21 years old. I am 5'9"-5'10" and I weigh only 135-140 pounds. I eat fast food basically every single day of my life such as Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Pizza Parlors, Taco Bell, you name it. Why? Because I can't cook, my step-mom dont cook ******, and I can afford it because I have an excellent job. Anyways, I am a real skinny/bony dude and I also have a low metabolism, and you would think by eating fast food a lot I would put on some weight. I don't workout much, but I recently ordered a Bowflex Machine, so I hope to start putting on muscle. I have two questions. Since I am going to start working out consistently, anyone know of any secret or non-secret ways to put on weight, especially since fast food doesn't help me out? Also, since fast food isn't really good for you, anyone recommend any certain vitamins or any nutritional things, etc.? I am currently taking that Coral Calcium in the tablet form because I hear it is great for preventing diseases, cancers, common colds, etc. and it also contains all the normal vitamin and calcium needs you would find in your everyday vitamin. If you never heard of it, it's the minerals from the coast of Okinawa, Japan in the ocean where they say it also extends your life because it is excellent for your health. Thanks. I look forward to any of your comments, replies, stories, opinions, and so on.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: I always eat fast food.

Well, working out and building muscle will definately add weight and bulk. But you'll need to change what you eat as all those fast food places provide NOTHING that a body needs when its muscles are being built.

For the muscle you're going to need protein - so that lots of lean fish or lean chicken with grains (not white rice) and vegetables. Protein shakes are a good option too. You should be breakfasting on omelettes with whole grain toast and oatmeal (thats what body builders eat for breakfast)

You should get one of those body building/health magazines as they have really good diet advice as well as workout routines.

Good luck.

BTW: Why can't you just LEARN to cook, huh??!!! If you can read, you can cook!! There are million websites with recipes and step by step instructions on how make anything. You're old enough to be able to cook for yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Regarding vitamins. you can't go wrong with a good quality mulitvitamin (forget the crappy drugstore suppliments, go to the healthfood store, find a knowledgeable staff member and ask for recommendations) Beyond that, I'm a girl and don't really know what suppliments guys take. I've heard them talking about creatine which I think helps muscles. But, wait for a guy to post of suppliments as they can give better advice about that stuff than me.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about getting a fitness/health magazine, good idea, I'll do that. As for eating oatmeal, that is another good recommendation, I have thought about eating that more often as well as more stuff with protein.. I will try out some protein shakes. Lol, I know, I am old enough to cook for myself, and it's about time I learn.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawsanenawmean
Lol, I know, I am old enough to cook for myself, and it's about time I learn.
haha.

When I moved out on my own I had to learn to cook. Its a gradual process - you burn a lot of stuff, you cook stuff you hate - but you start to learn what flavors go well together and how to make stuff interesting and edible.

Also, ask your friends about cooking - i've learnt a lot of stuff just from asking people I know. you'll be amazed at how many guys can cook. My ex's mother and sister showed me some interesting things to cook. People LOVE to share their culinary specialties with others.

Start off with making yourself an omelette or a fritatta (its like an omelette but thicker with lots of stuff in it - broccoli, onions, peppers etc cooked on a lower heat with the lid on for a few minutes) for breakfast and every week learn something new to cook. In fact, you could post here what you like to eat and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice or step by step instructions on what to do.

Last edited by veggie girl; 02-26-2005 at 10:12 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Thumbs up Re: I always eat fast food.

Hey Naw,

You really need to get away from the fast food routine. It seems like you want to be healthy. Importanly, eating healthy can help prevent a lot serious diseases. Sure, on occasion it's ok to eat fast food but just don't make it habit. You don't have to be an expert to cook. There are many simple things you can make in less than 15 minutes. You said that you want to gain weight. Here is my suggestion.

You will need to add more protein and higher calorie foods to your diet. It's a challenge to find healthy high calorie foods, but natural peanut butter, almonds, olive oil are good sources. Also, I think it's ok to add some fat to your diet, especially the fats that are in the foods I just listed. Those fats are mono and poly unsaturated fats. You should really consider adding protein shakes to your diet b/c it's quick and easy. You're going to need "quick and easy" when trying to eat 5-6 times per day.
A good sample diet that I eat on a typical day would be:
breakfast: Whey protein powder mixed with soy milk, honey, blueberries, a table spoon of flax seed oil (healthy fats)
2 slices of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter (high calories with healthy fats) total calories of meal=600
morning snack: all natural soy protein bar = 300 calories
lunch: sliced turkey, albacore tuna, or chicken breast with whole wheat bread
16 ounce soy milk or you could substitute low fat milk
600 calories
afternoon snack: Protein drink or bar 300 calories
dinner: whole wheat pasta with chicken, olive oil, vegetables
more soy milk or low fat milk (16 ounces)
700 calories
before bedtime snack: 2 slices of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter 400 calories

The total calories here are about 3000. You may want to try and get more depending on how much weight you want to gain. Also, since you are just starting to work out with weights, I would focus on your major muscles, i.e., your chest, shoulders, back, and thighs. Later you can spend more time on your smaller muscles, i.e., your arms, calves.
Now, I wouldn't worry about getting too many supplements for muscle building. Just get yourself a good whey protein powder. I would shoot for 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh, which for you would be 140 grams. As you gain weight, you'll need to increase that number.

I've heard mixed reviews on coral calcium. Just make sure you are taking a complete multivitamin daily. I take a time released multivitamin from GNC.

Make good choices. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

PS Veggie girl gave you some great input. She knows her stuff.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Thanks bluedog, I will buy some protein powder mix and/or protein shakes and protein bars and I will try and get into the habit of eating healthier. As for the milk, is it not okay to drink Vitamin D milk or 2 % milk with that diet? Does it have to be lowfat or skim milk? I ask this only because I like to drink milk, but skim milk and lowfat milk are not of my favorites.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

There are lots of inexpensive beginner cookbooks out there. Just type in "college student cooking," "beginner cooking," "microwave cooking," or "cooking for one" in a search engine or a book seller's search engine. Here's a list of what I found...."Fanny Farmer's" ......."Cheap and Easy Cooking: the survival guide for College Students"......"Cooking Outside the Pizza Box"....."Starving Student's Cookbook"......"Now You're Cooking: Everything a Beginner Needs to Know to Start Cooking."

Maybe if you show the initiatve in cooking, your stepmom will get the hint.

A blender can make really good home made milk shakes and smoothies!

Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
(male)

nawsanenawmean HB User

Ok, great magpie. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

My husband and I recently saw "Supersize Me". I can honestly say the impact of that was so huge, I was horrified! There was tons of info on obesity, the content of fast food, and the man who participated in the experiment ended up so ill it took the appeal of fast food away completely. If you watch this while hungry, you may miss a few meals--its really gross!!!!

Luckily, I have been eating healthy for a long time, had I not, that movie would have inspired a huge lifestyle change for me. It did reinforce my beliefs when it comes to diet. I still take my kids to the playplace at mcd's, but half the time they eat dinner at home and get dessert while there. ugh. Horrifying movie. Well-done but man, if you want to cut back on fast food, watch it. It does for fast food what Jaws did for swimming in the ocean!

Closed Thread