It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
green tea?

hey..well i just got into drinkin green tea and i like it alot. i usually drink it be4 i go to bed or whatever. but is it true it helps burn cals? i just ate sum cottage cheese and an apple, then drank green tea. is that okay? haha im new to this whole thing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: green tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyT
hey..well i just got into drinkin green tea and i like it alot. i usually drink it be4 i go to bed or whatever. but is it true it helps burn cals? i just ate sum cottage cheese and an apple, then drank green tea. is that okay? haha im new to this whole thing...
Yes, it does have an effect on the metabolism. Plus, green tea is high in a wonderful substance called "polypheols" that are very good for the body. There are SOOOO many benefits to green tea. They say it is 3 times more powerful than vitamin c and e!! ****** it and you'll see. BTW, I know you may not want to hear this but I hope your not trying to lose weight. Maybe your not but like i said green tea is good for you otherwise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

naa, im trying to gain actually..i just like the comfort of it..haha

Old 03-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

you drink green tea before you go to bed? do you ever have trouble sleeping?

also, im not a big fan of any type of tea but I try and drink green tea because of its many benefits. does anyone have any tips to make it taste better?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

thanks, I'll try some honey then and I'll be sure to smell that bag too!

Old 03-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
(female)

Tbrider216 HB User

Does taking green tea extract pills have the same benits on your metabolism and all just as much as actually drinking it??

Old 03-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
(male)

The Len HB User

Taking the tablets is much more powerful. It's concentrated in a pill so there is much more of a punch to it if you know what I mean. Although the bad side is that green tea contains caffiene so a stronger version of the tea would also result in a little more caffiene as well.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

The green tea im drinking says it's caffeine free?

Old 03-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

so, i started drinkin green tea once per day. haha im nto a fan of the taste, but its healthy!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
(male)

The Len HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen
The green tea im drinking says it's caffeine free?
Look over every part of the green tea box. Many will say "Caffeine free", then you look somewhere in small print it might say "contains a small amount of caffeine". I drink Yogi tea. They have one called "simply decaff green tea" But on the side it says "contains 9 grms of caffeine". I call up Yogi tea and talk to a customer representative and ask why it says "caffeine free" when it still has a little caffeine. It should say "reduced caffeine". They replied "well no green tea is totally decaff. Every decaff green tea still has a little caffiene in it. We can get rid of some of it but not all of it. It's a natural part of the plant that is grows off of. She goes well that's besides the point cause green tea contains an amino acid called Theamine. This supposedly blocks the effects of caffeine on the brain. Then I said "well if that's true why do they even make decaff green tea if the caffeine actually is blocked by a natural ingrediant in it? She says some people can't have caffiene like pregnant women. Go figure....after all that, the conversation just ended with that. hahahaha.

Last edited by The Len; 03-07-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:48 AM   #11
(female)

Iadinae HB User

Hitmen, I had to try a few different brands of the green tea before I found one I really liked. I am drinking the Celestial Seasoning's brand right now and really like that one. Try a few and see what you like.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I add honey to my green tea now and it's outstanding. Well the term outstanding is a bit of a stretch but honey has made a huge difference in the taste! Thanks everyone!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #13

Exile HB User

I just wanna add some more info for the ones who dont really like the taste...

If you think it is a little too bitter, it may be the way it is being brewed. Start with water just under boiling... bring water to a boil, then take it off the heat for 30 seconds maybe, and then pour it.

Steep the tea for only 3-5 minutes, no more. If you want it less bitter, go closer to the 3 minute range.

DO NOT squeeze the bag when you take it out. Let it drip a few seconds, and get rid of it.

Boiling water/steeping too long/squeezing it may release extra tannins, which cause it to be bitter.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #14
(male)

blue1914 HB User

A good way to change the taste is to get a blended tea. I experimented with a few (green tea with mint, green tea with blueberry, etc.) and I really enjoy green tea with mint. The two flavors just seem naturally complementary and I really enjoy the tea. I thought it was a little strong and bitter at first as well.

Closed Thread