It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User
Simple Digestive System Cleanse

Hi guys

I've been wondering lately if I could do more to reverse the damage caused to my skin by years of poor diet. Sure, eating healthier foods has been helping immensley by reducing the incidence of new breakouts, but it feels like I'm still fighting an uphill battle sometimes.

So I am going to embark on a simple cleanse of my digestive system (for now - perhaps I will take things further afterwards) and I thought I'd keep you all posted

I will be taking:

1 x 260mg Activated Charcoal
2 x 500mg Psyllium Husk

30 minutes before each meal. And I shall have a Yakult milk drink with my breakfast as a source of probiotics.Yakult contains the probiotics Lactobacillus acidophilus which are useful for the cleansing of the small intestine.

If anyone's got any advice, that would be great!

EDIT: To stress: this is in relation to acne. If someone doesn't believe that diet and nutrition has nothing to do with acne then they've got a lot to learn!!

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 03-08-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User
Re: Simple Digestive System Cleanse

Alright guys, obviously nothing to report yet. But I thought I'd just update on my doses: I'll only be drinking one of these foul Yakults a day since that is all they recommend and, like I said, they taste foul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Good Luck! I am in the middle of a bowel cleanse, and then a liver cleanse to help correct the hormonal imbalance that is causing my cystic acne. Keep us posted

Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
(female)

zara1 HB User

I've read so much on other sites that these cleanses clear up acne. In one site I read how someones acne started to clear in 7 days. I'm taking chinese herbal stuff and acupuncture, the herbal tablets are suppose to clear the toxins which sounds a little like the cleanse (except costly)I would like to try but I'm kinda afraid to, please keep us posted.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Good for you dong a cleanse. I really think the digestive system plays a role in acne. I orginally did a cleanse because my stomach was protruding and I always felt stuffed but it had the affect of reducing my acne.

For me I did juice (celery, apple and carrot), ate lots of green veggie and fresh fruit, took milk thistle, psyllum, accodophuls and digestive enzymes. I also did an enema (yikes!!) which I think helped.

It flattened my abs and cleared my skin. I try and do it at least once every week or every two weeks.

Last edited by veggie girl; 03-08-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Hey Veggie girl! glad to see your post where you been packing for another vacation?

Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Good for you dong a cleanse. I really think the digestive system plays a role in acne. I orginally did a cleanse because my stomach was protruding and I always felt stuffed but it had the affect of reducing my acne.

For me I did juice (celery, apple and carrot), ate lots of green veggie and fresh fruit, took milk thistle, psyllum, accodophuls and digestive enzymes. I also did an enema (yikes!!) which I think helped.

It flattened my abs and cleared my skin. I try and do it at least once every week or every two weeks.
I haven't considered the weight-loss side-effects, to be honest. But I could do with slimming down a bit because I'm supposed to be in training for a run.

Diet-wise, I think I am being quite sensible, but there's always room for improvement. I try not to drink juice (even fresh) because of the high sugar content but I guess you meant a juice-only fast. I get plenty of green vegetables (I like them!) but I always have them with some kind of meat and carbohydrate. However, I have gone seven weeks without anything that I would consider junk food. Of course, my skin has benefitted no end. Now I want to take things to the next level.

Clearly, two days is no time to give reliable feedback, but I'll keep you posted folks

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 03-08-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

This should not have been moved. This is about cleansing the digestive system as a means of tackling acne It won't make sense to anyone on the Diet & Nutrition boards... I shall keep future posts directly on the subject of acne to avoid confusion

EDIT: To clarify, I have edited my opening post to underline that this in relation to acne.

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 03-08-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und3rc0v3r
Diet-wise, I think I am being quite sensible, but there's always room for improvement. I try not to drink juice (even fresh) because of the high sugar content but I guess you meant a juice-only fast.
Actually the 'fast' I did - well really a detox - included juicing a couple times a day with cucumbers, alalfa, ginger, carrots, apples, celery etc. (NOT orange!) and eating salads of baby spinach or other lettuce with cucumber, sprouts and tomatoes dressed with only lemon juice and olive oil and eating berries. And of course, LOTS of water, support for liver and colon (milk thistle for liver and flaxseeds soaked in boiling water for colon)

I'm not a big juicer but I did it coz it gives the digestive system a break and allows it to clear itself.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
(female)

tdot HB User

On top of eating well and exercising, my friends and I drink liquid chlorophyll in our all the water we drink. It is supposed to cleanse and deoderize the intestinal tract. You can buy it at a health food store. We use the Mint Flavor. It is very refreshing!

Last edited by tdot; 03-10-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

Thanks for the tip tdot

veggie_girl, I hear you

Okay, time for an update from me (it's nearly been a week already?!). Well, my skin is looking great, which seems like the best place to start! I have been taking the psyllium husk and activated charcoal for about nine days, as well as a daily Yakult. So I don't know what's helping the most but something definitely is. I don't like to go into detail about these things but I can confirm that my digestive system even feels cleansed and there are other great side-effects such as feeling less slothenly (sp?).

What I will say, though, is that I doubt anyone can expect to clear up their skin just with these few things I am ingesting daily. You've also got to put the effort in to eliminating foods that you know break you out. However, having an extra helping hand is brilliant because it gives you the motivation to go the extra mile in terms of abstaining from your favourite foods!

Old 03-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the tip tdot

veggie_girl, I hear you

Okay, time for an update from me (it's nearly been a week already?!). Well, my skin is looking great, which seems like the best place to start! I have been taking the psyllium husk and activated charcoal for about nine days, as well as a daily Yakult. So I don't know what's helping the most but something definitely is. I don't like to go into detail about these things but I can confirm that my digestive system even feels cleansed and there are other great side-effects such as feeling less slothenly (sp?).

What I will say, though, is that I doubt anyone can expect to clear up their skin just with these few things I am ingesting daily. You've also got to put the effort in to eliminating foods that you know break you out. However, having an extra helping hand is brilliant because it gives you the motivation to go the extra mile in terms of abstaining from your favourite foods!
Wow, great news, huh?!! You must be very happy!!

So, have made dietary changes? Or have you discovered your trigger?

How often do you take the psyllum and what type do you take? (i took one where you mix it with water - YUK! - urgh, tasted so bad!! haha)

But, good for you going the diet route. The good thing too about getting rid of acne with diet is that you reach a point where you system is so clean that you can indulge here and there and not experience breakouts. I think its coz your system can handle crap, it just can't handle the overload plus a filthy system.

Last edited by veggie girl; 03-15-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
I try not to drink juice (even fresh) because of the high sugar content
you don't have to drink fruit juice. veg juice can be drunk and has much lower levels of fructose. use a base of carrots and apples (apples contain pectin which prevents the fructose in the fruit causing rapid rises in blood sugar levels) and then add othe veg like cucumber, peppers, ginger, celery, etc.
a good rule is: juice your veg (obviously eat it too), and eat your fruit.

alex.

Last edited by ratboy83; 03-16-2005 at 03:45 AM.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
(female)

Moon Rising HB User

Has anyone tried a cleanse system that you can buy? I bought one over the internet for $150 bucks but sent it back because It required you take pills for up to 3 months when it stated it was an 8 day cleanse system and gave you flu like side effects.. I really want to do one, but havent found an easy one yet.
---Moon

Closed Thread