It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Inactive

swanseaboy HB User
Am i underweight?

Hello everyone, last july i went on holiday weighing 10 stone and 10 pounds, i am 16 years old, i went on holiday and went down to 10 stone due to eating well and swimming etc, but now i have gone down to 9 stone 5, i am 5 foot 7, is this underweight for my age? I can see my ribs sticking out of my chest when i suck my chest in too, im quite worryed that im not eating enough, thanks!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
(male)

The Len HB User
Re: Am i underweight?

Join a gym and start lifting weights 6 days a week.

Make sure you do 4 sets of 3 different exercises per body part to ensure enough muscle stimulation for growth. Make sure the weight is heavy enough where you can only do 5 to 6 reps for each exercise.

Mon and Thurs - Chest and Back
Tues and Fri - Biceps and Triceps
Wed and Sat - Shoulders and Legs

Limit aerobic exercise to just two to three times a week. No more than half an hour a session. You need to slow your metabolism down if you want to gain any weight at all - fat or muscle. But you still need a little cardio to keep the extra fat off.

Eat 5 to 6 small high protein meals a day.

Best sources of protein are skinless turkey and chicken breast, tuna, (protein shakes made from protein powder, one banana, some strawberries and skim milk), egg whites, and salmon.

Eat each meal with a dark green leafy salad or fruit and vegetable of your choice.
And last but not least...include a carb of your choice in each meal. Best carb sources are sweet potato, whole wheat bread, brown rice, and Total or Kaishi heart to heart cereal.

Drink a lot of water throughout the day and during the workouts.

Pop a fish oil pill or a teaspoon of olive oil with each meal. If you don't have any abnormal medical or physiological problems aside from the low weight, you should notice a difference in a couple months.

Last edited by The Len; 03-07-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Inactive

swanseaboy HB User

Thanks for the reply, I am a football player (soccer) And i want to get toned up and fit more than put on pure muscle, Do you have any tips for me for this kind of sport?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
(male)

The Len HB User

Being toned means burning fat off of a muscle so it becomes more visible. You're not going to get toned because you have no muscle to burn the fat off of if you can see your rib cage. Lift weights and put on some muscle. The cardio you do in soccer is more than enough to burn off any excess fat you may intake with food. But before you can burn away, you have to have something to burn the fat from. Trying to burn fat when you don't have muscle is going to make you into a skeleton. You need muscle. And please don't take putting on pure muscle as a way of me sayin you have to look like a bodybuilder. Usher, Bruce Lee, Michael Jordan all lifted weights. They have muscle but they are not huge. And putting on muscle is getting fit. No athlete regardless of sport ever achieves greatness without some sort of muscle and strength behind it.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Inactive

swanseaboy HB User

Sorry, i thought you were trying to advise me to be a bodybuilder type, thanks for the advice it will come in handy over the next couple of months which is crunch time for me, i have to get my body back into shape which i will do, but it will take determination and patience.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
(male)

The Len HB User

Good luck and think positive. I know you can do it! Always stay focused on what means the most to you.

Closed Thread