It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #1

Markus89 HB User
Smile What should i be eating?

hey
im a 16 year old guy
right now im trying to lower my body fat (not too much), then concentrate on building muscle. im 5'8-5'9 and weigh 170lbs(68kg). I have a skinny frame with a decent amount of muscle, but i have a layer of fat over my stomach. I know theres no such thing as spot reduction, and im starting some cardio. I really need to take some action with my diet too. But i have NO idea about nutrition, or dieting.
I eat kinda healthy... i dont drink soda, only water and milk and the occasional orange juice. Dont eat junk food (only at school, because our canteen/cafeteria doesnt sell anything else!)
but besides that..
For breakfast i usually have toast or like quiche/meat pie whatevers in the fridge. Ill have some fruit a couple hours later. At lunch i'll eat a meat pie(etc) and some bread, maybe some fruit.
Dinner ill just eat whatever my mum cooks. We eat alot of homemade chinese food, and alot of steak/meat.

I have no idea what exactly goes into my mouth, nutritional wise.
But yeah, i want to start to eat healthy, and lose some bodyfat, then build muscle. Anyone have any ideas on what i should be eating and when?
again my post is kinda long... sorry!
please reply

Marcus

Old 03-08-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
(male)

PistolPete HB User
Re: What should i be eating?

I'm sort of in the same spot in terms of your physical condition. I'm 170, 5'8 and trying to convert alot of it into muscle. I'm also 16.

I know you've heard this before, but you should be eating a well balanced diet. You're young so avoid all the low calorie, low carb BS diets. Slim Fast and other mainstream diets are also big . This doesn't mean you should just raid the refridgerator and eat whatever is in sight. In fact, this means you should be eating more wholesome products, such as plenty of vegetables, grains, and meats.

It also depends on what you want to do. Do you want to A) stay the same weight but all muscle? Or B) do you want to just lose weight? For A) you want to start taking your workout to the next level and work on the technique of each exercise and push yourself further. Do workouts for all muscles, and hit the weight room. Also put cardio in that workout as well, go for runs before/after doing weights. And Stretch AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. When it comes to eating, be sure to eat food higher in calories but also high in nutrition. For more energy, I recommend replacing lettuce with leaf spinach when making sandwiches. For B) Focus more on running. Eat less but make sure its stuff with energy and nutritional foods. Burn more than you eat, simply put. But also add in basic muscle exercises such as pushups and sit ups.

From your description, I wouldn't lose more than 20 pounds if you plan to lose weight. Make sure you get plenty of sleep, cause you're still growing.

If you're not involved in any sports at school, you should defintely do some. The more the merrier. If you don't make the team, train to make the team and it will give you motivation to work out.

Hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: What should i be eating?

Super's good, but lunch and breakfast could be revamped. Frozen meat pies or "pockets" are too full of junk you don't need. Once in a while like once a month isn't so bad. Since you're a guy, you can eat a lot more than a woman can and get away with it; however, you don't want to overeat either. Definately go on the excercise board and ask about weight lifting and diets. Those people have it together. Keep your proteins lean.

For breakfast; you'll want to have a fruit, a grain, dairy, and protein. (Ex: 1 apple, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 2 eggs, and skim milk.)

For lunch; you'll want to have a fruit, a grain, protein, and veggies. (Ex: 1 orange, ham sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce, and celery sticks or carrot sticks.)

Closed Thread