It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
Exclamation Chinese food attack!!

hey guys! well, u know that i am recovering from bulimia and is in the process of gaining weight (the healthy way)...well, i went so good for week, eating all my meals and not over excercising or purging. well, we went to chinese for supper and i had those veggies, an eggrole, gnger beef, 1 chicken ball, and fried rice. i never over did it. i ate till i was full. but am i going to gain a bizzillion lbs!!?! i mean, its all deep fried and stuff but tasted SO good. i never purged it up. im keepin er' down, but i cant help feel this guilt! i mean

i dont eat chinese food all the time, only the odd time

help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Chinese food attack!!

No, you aren't going to gain tons of weight... Like you said, you rarely eat this way... to eat something like this every once in awhile isn't going to hurt you AT ALL.

you'll gain more weight purging... you'll slow your metabolism down so much anything you eat will cause you to gain weight.. if you should feel guilty about anything its throwing up... because thats the one thing that will cause you to gain weight in the long run.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

but ahahaa! i never did. and i never did in a week! impressive eh? i kno! haha

Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You definately WONT gain a bazillion lbs...just a note about chinese food- a lot of it IS veggies, and by default chinese food fills you up REALLY fast and a LOT, but that is really just temporary (ever notice the hunger that soon follows?) SO don't base it on this full feeling because I promise you wont gain a bazillion pounds (especially because you are aware of your gaining and you, by nature, wouldnt let it happen anyways!)

Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
(male)

PistolPete HB User

Like everyone else says, as long you don't keep it a habit, its fine. The same is with most people and pizza. Friday is considered "pizza night" to many American families. First off, just one meal of pizza a week shouldn't hurt a family that regularly exercises, and has children that are active and do sports. 2nd off, just like chinese food, pizza CAN be healthy. The pizza, after blotching all the grease, can have plenty of nutrients with cheese, veggies, meats, etc. And if you don't like too much stuff on your pizza, nothing gets better than serving pizza with a salad.

Most of this goes the same with chinese food. Surprised you gorged yourself on chinese food? Guess what, you're human. Its impossible to resist, but not impossible to not keep it conistent.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Hey Sammy T

One plate of chinese food a week won't hurt you. Eat it and it enjoy it guilt free.

Oh, and good luck with your healthy eating and healthy weight gain. I wish you well.

Last edited by veggie girl; 03-09-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
(male)

The Len HB User

I hate chinese food. Not only when they fry everything you get all the saturated fat, but that stuff is overloaded with salt. And in the frying process they kill most, if not all, of the vitamins and nutrients in the vegetables so outside of the fiber, there is little value to it. But hey like everyone said, once in a while is not gonna kill you so have fun with it!

Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I love chinese food but it's really high in calories. I try and limit my intake but it is very good!

Old 03-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Not all chinese food is high in calories- in fact much of it is actually one of the better "fast food" choices out there. A lot of chinese food chains now are also using heart healthy oils to fry so the saturated fats aren't really there. If I had to pick chinese food or other fast food options, chinese would probably top my list..

Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

WE have a place that offers a diet menu. Just steamed veggies and meat with some white rice. I got it the other day, and though it was steamed and had nothing on it (no oil or seasoning) i thought it was pretty good. I had steamed chicken with veggies. Very healthy.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

mmmm....chinese food. haha well, i never stayed guilty about it for long. the next time i'll probbly go to a chinese restaurant is...haha who knows! so, it was very good!! but next weekend we are going to boston pizza. what should i order? i like pretty much nething, but i dont wanna worry about the the whole "fat" thing or whatever. ne suggestions about a type os sandwhich or pizza i can get from there?

Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Boston pizza has great selection. Personally, I like the personal size californian pizza. You can spilt a personal with someone (get one topped with loads of veggies), or you could even eat the whole thing by yourself. They have lots of sandwiches that are good, but personally I like pizza and pasta! lol...Their pastas (although Ive never tried them) look yummy, and you can get half orders, which is really good. They also have other entrees like chicken parmigiana or whatever- if you feel like that then go for it! Ask for side salads if you dont like the sides, and just eat till youre full! Dont worry about every restaurant you visit- most places have "fallbacks" like grilled chicken and veggies/salad sides, veggie pizza, pasta with plain tomato sauce, etc. You will do fine!

Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Not all Chinese food is deep fried and if you learn to use chop sticks, you'll be even better off. The barbiqued pork is roasted just like that flame broiling commercial for Burger King's burgers. The won ton in the soup are boiled. The fried jiaoze,which I think the American term is fried dumplings, are pan fried not deep fried like the fried won ton. The veggies and meats or seafood is stir fried not deep fried. There is a big difference between deep fried and stir fried. Stir frying over a high heat like they do, doesn't give the food much of a chance to absorb In some restaurants the won ton is actually half shrimp and half ground pork. Chow Fun might be a better choice than Lo Mein. The Chow Fun noodles are the thin, fat, white noodles. I think the biggest problem is not the oil, it's the sodium in it.

I know there have been articles on the news downing fast foods, including Chinese food. I just feel that it is more of a matter of how much you eat and how much you exercise, so I agree with the previous poster. I feel you should enjoy your Chinese food once every now and then. I'm 42 and weigh 115 lbs, which is just right for my height. (I'm thin.) I've learned how to have my cake and eat it too. I exercise 7 days per week for 45-60 min. each night. Yes, I now eat 1 happy meal per week due to my busy schedule and my little boy's needs. The day I eat the happy meal, I just make sure I eat low fat and healthy. (Ex.: Bkf.- 1 toast and fruit....Morning Snack-grapes....Lunch- 3 slices of fat free turkey on a low-fat tortilla with light mayo and lettuce, an apple, and rice cakes....Dinner- 1 plain hamburger happy meal and fresh fruit or veggie. (I take the happy meal home, so the fruit and veggie is at home. Yes, I choose the small fried with my happy meal; but there is no cheese on the hamburger and I add lettuce, onions, and musturd to my hamburger.) Haven't gained any weight. It's all in how you do it.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I can PROMISE you that, not only will you not gain a gazillion pounds, you won't even gain one pound...or even HALF a pound for that matter!! It takes a lot more to gain weight than we realize and our bodies are amazing machines that know where they like to be and tend to gravitate towards that. If you continue to eat the way that you have been eating, your body will level out at a place that it's comfortable at and you won't even have to think about it anymore. Sounds nice, doesn't it???

Old 03-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

Ooo lala i do like! so, when i do gain my normal. healthy weight and once my body is back to its normal healthy stage, i wont have to worry about going overboard if i keep this up? yes, that does sound nice

Closed Thread