It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

jody1983 HB User
what are the benifits of drinking distilled water

i would like to know what are the benifits of drinking distilled water opposed to regular water??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: what are the benifits of drinking distilled water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody1983
i would like to know what are the benifits of drinking distilled water opposed to regular water??
I drank it for years in the U.S. because my tap water tasted like cr*p. Tea and coffe tasted MUCH better. If there are lots of unwanted chemicals in your tap water, then distilled water (not osmosis-filtered, but truly distilled) will have NOTHING in it but pure water. On the other hand, you'll have to be very sure you're getting lots of minerals in your diet, as distilled water can leach them from your system -- or, at the very least, won't be ADDING anything. I'd still be drinking distilled water here in Germany, but it's a bazillion times more expensive. If you have a "water store" in your area, you can bring in your bottles and have them refilled, and it's really cheap -- not as cheap as tap water, of course!

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
(male)

nedfrin HB User

Kidney stones. HAHA

Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

jody,

It depends on your alternatives.
My city tap water is delicious and comes from a couple pristine resevoirs in Northern NJ. Ours tastes even better than NYC's which was for years, SUBLIME but has slipped a lot probably due to increasing development. Our water, as well as NYC's is so clean as to not even require filtration and BOTH taste better than most bottled waters.
But still there are those who think it's necessary to pay $.89 or WAY more a gallon and lug the plasticized stuff home (won't even mention how poisonous styrene is when it leaches from the bottle.)

If your tap water is horrid with bad taste, smell, or proven contamination then you have no choice except to go the tedious route of buying bottled water or distilling your own. (I'd choose the distiller for long term price!)

Last edited by Lenin; 03-10-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

My dads a doc and he told me drinking too much distilled water is dangerous because it can swell the blood cells and can lead to water toxicity because it has no sodium or minerals in it (something to that effect)

Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I've heard that distilled water leaches minerals out of your system. I go with spring water as much as possible.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
(male)

Nixona HB User

Without going into a debate, don't most places add fluoride to the drinking water for dental health?

Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mine doesn't and I have the miserable teeth to prove it!

Closed Thread