It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User
The defineative, What foods are healthy??????

Ok I am 21 years old, I live alone, I would like to eat healthy. Before yesterday I never even heard the word gluten before, I thought wheat was good for you, still dont know what a celiac is.

I have a horribly messed up gut, diahrea most of the time, I had/have acid reflux disease, high blood pressure, good cholesterol though (was checked for the first time 2 months ago I was 120 overall)

Tell me some very high gluten foods so I can see if this may be giving me digestional problems (ill eat the crap out of whatever you tell me)

then perhaps tell me foods that are good for you, it seems as if every month people change their minds about what is or isnt healthy. I need a diet plan to maintain a healthy digestive track (no fiber tablets I tried those last week and all I did was sit around farting) I would like to change my eating habits, while I'm sure they arn't good they arn't that bad either ( I cut out fastfood big time I might eat once a week)
I usually start out with oatmeal for breakfast (now I eat pears and protein shakes, and water)
I ski all day long without eating (maybe a few granola bars in there)
at night time probably eat 12 ounces (dry) or so of wheat rotini pasta with a little bit of pasta sauce or tofu chicken patties and tater tots, or Viola! garlic chicken (whole bag)
That can't be that good now that I think of it, HELP ME WHAT THE HECK IS GLUTEN?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: The defineative, What foods are healthy??????

My mother-in-law has GERD too. Basically you need to watch your salt/sodium intake and gassy/oily food intake. That's it. The sodium intake should be less than 2400 mg. for the HP. My mother-in-law eats bread and pasta/noodles with no problem. She does over cook the pasta, because her stomach is very sensitive. Stuff that does a number on her with her GERD problem are soda, cucumbers, (unless they are the burpless variety) potatoes, beans, apples, orange juice, etc. Also she has to stand up and walk for 10 min. after she eats and sleep with her head raised to keep her GERD at bay. You can find more info. on what to eat when you have GERD by typing "GERD diet" in a search engine.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

I just bought a blood pressure monitor a few days ago, I guess all this excerising and cutting out fast food brought my blood pressure way down. I am 115/70 now thats pretty good right? What is a good pulse rate? I am usually around 85 for a pulse rate but I had a pretty serious ski accident the other day and I'm on loratabs which bring my pulse rate down to about 65

Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
(female)

runnergirl HB User

Gluten is a protein found in food products made with wheat or flour. Celiac sprue is a condition in which your body cannot digest this protein and it causes symptoms such as diarrhea, micro-tears in the intestine, bloating, and severe abdominal pain.

Any food item made with wheat, oats, rye, or barley should be avoided. This would mean your daily oatmeal, granola bars, pasta, and any bread or cereal products that do not specifically state "gluten free" should be omitted. Fresh meats (not processed), vegetables, fruits, dairy products, and gluten-free foods are acceptable.

The gluten free or "celiac" diet is a rather complex diet since so much of our food supply is made with gluten or in a facility that uses gluten in its products (some of my patients are sensitive to a food even if it does not have gluten but is made close by foods that contain gluten). I strongly urge you to visit a dietitian and get more details about this diet if in fact you were diagnosed with sprue.

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 03:22 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Thanks for the info, how could I diagnose? Would I need to take a test or should I just consume massive amounts of gluten and see if I get sick?

Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skigomaniac
Thanks for the info, how could I diagnose? Would I need to take a test or should I just consume massive amounts of gluten and see if I get sick?
Skigomaniac,

A doctor can give you a blood test to see if you are producing antibodies to the gluten you're consuming. The doctor can also put a tube down your throat (we're talking muscle relaxants here, because otherwise you WON'T cooperate! ) and look at your small intestine to see if your own body has started damaging some of the little cilia in your intestine. You might want to go get these tests BEFORE you stop eating wheat and other gluten foods, because if you indeed DO have celiac disease, your body will start to heal and by a few months with no gluten, you won't have the antibodies in your blood anymore and a tube down your throat won't show any more damage to your small intestines.

If you wish to do a diet elimination without going to a doctor, then look up celiac on the internet, and read about the disease and what foods are ok and which are no-no's.

Beyond that, a "healthy" diet is IMHO one which includes lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains (or equivalents if you can't eat gluten), small amounts of oils and meats, milk products, and things that are home cooked rather than heavily processed. But the important thing is that you find out what YOUR body can tolerate, and then tailor your eating to fit in as many of the food groups as you can every day.

Good luck on tracking down your food problems.

--Rheanna

Old 04-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

are there any types of breads I can eat that don't contain glutamine, because I'm getting big into PB&J's for this summer as an alternative to hamburgers, I'm trying to eat a lot better (high protein, low fat, high calorie) diets for all my various activities this summer, I NEED BREAD!

Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #8

rsk1185 HB User

who do you know if you gluten sensitive. would the symptoms be worse then feeling full with the bloated sensation?

Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
(male)

Dave (UK) HB User

you dont need to cut out your oatmeal breakfast mate. Oats are usually tolerated by celiacs, as they dont actually contain gluten, but often they can be contaminated with wheat via processing. If you get 100% rolled oats, you should be fine. Besides, if you were a celiac, you would be dead by now. And also, if you cut out oats, what will you have for breakfast??? Quinoa, tapioca?? Might as well stick with the oats man.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave (UK)
you dont need to cut out your oatmeal breakfast mate. Oats are usually tolerated by celiacs, as they dont actually contain gluten, but often they can be contaminated with wheat via processing. If you get 100% rolled oats, you should be fine. Besides, if you were a celiac, you would be dead by now. And also, if you cut out oats, what will you have for breakfast??? Quinoa, tapioca?? Might as well stick with the oats man.
Dave, Not all celiacs die quickly from eating gluten -- most of us don't even find out that our problems stem from gluten intolerance until we're WELL into adulthood (around 50 in my case).

As for breakfast, I usually have either cornflakes (with no malt as an added ingredient) or cooked buckwheat flakes. I make milk from powdered milk and regular milk, and add a banana and a teaspoon of sugar.

100% rolled oats simply means they haven't gone out of their way to add any other ingredients, not that the oats are truly gluten free. Oats are grown in the same fields as wheat, and look similar, so the harvesters aren't going to notice if a few straggling wheat fronds are gathered up with the oats. Oats are transported loose in the same containers as wheat, and stored and rolled and bagged in the same warehouses as wheat. Anywhere along the line, enough wheat can be picked up to contaminate the end product, and sensitive people will have reactions to oats just as much as to wheat. I would purchase ONLY oat products declared to be gluten-free, meaning that great care was taken by the manufacturers of the products to keep the ingredients gluten-free, and that they performed regular tests to see if any gluten had gotten into the batch by mistake.

Skigomaniac, If you really want to remove gluten from your diet, but are wondering what to do with PB&J, there are 3 possibilities that come to mind at the moment: rice crackers (make sure the label says only rice, not any other grains), gluten-free breads from a health-food store, or home-made bread. A bread-machine makes it easier to make your own, and you can experiment with various ingredients to get something that you like. Flours can be a mixture of: Buckwheat, millet, quinoa, soy, corn, rice, tapioca, bean flour, and a few others. To replace the gluten (so that the bread isn't crumbly), you can use xanthan gum, carob seed flour, or guar gum. I personally prefer eggs, milk and oil in my breads so that they have some flavor, tenderness and moisture -- I find that the ones sold in healthfood stores leave these things out so that people with other food intolerances can buy them too. If you want to bake your own, there are recipe websites with suggestions for making gluten-free breads.

Good luck finding out what you're sensitive to.

--Rheanna

Old 04-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

wow reheana you have been super helpful, even though I'm not sure if I'm celiac or whatever yet I already feel like I am. I have been avoiding gluten ridden foods for almost a week now (not entirely but big time) I dont eat oatmeal anymore Ive been eating protein shakes w/ soymilk and pears and oranges for breakfast (pb&j's for lunch [some gluten]) chicken breast,rice noodles, veggies for dinner. Well anyway I've been avoiding gluten foods and all of a sudden my bowel movements are normal again, they have been messed up for a few years now and I have had solid regular feces for a few days. I dont know if its the extra fiber I've been getting in this new diet or the fact that I've been avoiding gluten. I am looking for good ways to sneak protein in my diet for the summer since I'll be lifting, and exercising cardiovascularly for about 5-6 hours a day so I wanna pack some weight on. Anyway I'm rambling thanks again I'm gonna try this gluten free diet for a few more weeks and see how I feel

Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skigomaniac
wow reheana you have been super helpful, even though I'm not sure if I'm celiac or whatever yet I already feel like I am. I have been avoiding gluten ridden foods for almost a week now (not entirely but big time) I dont eat oatmeal anymore Ive been eating protein shakes w/ soymilk and pears and oranges for breakfast (pb&j's for lunch [some gluten]) chicken breast,rice noodles, veggies for dinner. Well anyway I've been avoiding gluten foods and all of a sudden my bowel movements are normal again, they have been messed up for a few years now and I have had solid regular feces for a few days. I dont know if its the extra fiber I've been getting in this new diet or the fact that I've been avoiding gluten. I am looking for good ways to sneak protein in my diet for the summer since I'll be lifting, and exercising cardiovascularly for about 5-6 hours a day so I wanna pack some weight on. Anyway I'm rambling thanks again I'm gonna try this gluten free diet for a few more weeks and see how I feel
Skigomaniac,

Glad to be of help -- just sharing a few years of experience eating gluten-free. I'm glad to hear that removing (most) of the gluten from your diet has eased your bowel problems.

I don't have a doctor's diagnosis of gluten intolerance either. I just know that lots of problems went away when I figured out that I was having reactions to wheat. When I looked up digestive problems in a medical website, I found what I call "this cool disease I found on the internet" and I've declared myself as having celiac disease (gluten intolerant) ever since. I waited too long after stopping wheat before I got the tests at the doctor's, so it was too late for the tests to find anything. But if eliminating a particular food or food group from your diet makes you feel better, then that's enough of a reason to continue with your decision -- you don't need a doctor's diagnosis to make observations about your own body. I don't mean that doctors aren't important, just that sometimes we can figure things out for ourselves!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread