It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
(male)

mikeb HB User
Very sleepy - after food

Both my wife and I have noticed that after we eat "taco meat" we get very sleepy. We've ruled out the meat and other foods eaten with the taco meat, so we suspect the seasonings that we're using. We use McCormicks taco seasoning mix. It contains chili pepper, cumin, oregano, red pepper, onion, whey solids, salt, sugar, paprika, garlic, potatoe starch and citric acid. Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Very sleepy - after food

Maybe you're eating too much? Try to eat more veggies with your tacos and go for a walk outside to get some fresh air.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

maybe you'r intolarent to somtin you'r eating..i dunno, you gotta make experiments..My theory is, if you don't feel good with a food you'r eating then, iliminate it from your diet and, never eat it again..your body is just not happy with that food..

Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

faith02 HB User

well, you should feel relaxed and a little sleepy after most meals because your body releases seritonin (sp?) once you've eaten...it lets your brain know that your body is satisfied. however, i'm not really sure why it's happening to you after a specific meal.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Are you eating too much of it? That the only thing I can think of - other than allergies, but I doubt you'd be allergic to spices.

hmm...puzzling!!

Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

veggie girl, have you got any idea what they put in spices especially powdered spices..eyy I always use natural spices and, I also make my own this way, I know what im eating

Old 03-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
(male)

The Len HB User

Spices are harder to digest in the body than regular bland foods which is why a lot of blood rushes from your body parts including your head and into your stomach to digest the food. This makes you feel sluggish and lathargic. That's also why you should never workout right after you eat cause all the blood is needed in your stomach to digest. You start working out and the blood has to be sent to your limbs and heart which takes away from the digestion which is why some people get stomach aches or throw up if they workout right after they eat.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
veggie girl, have you got any idea what they put in spices especially powdered spices..eyy I always use natural spices and, I also make my own this way, I know what im eating
I've read lists of things that a person who has gluten intolerance shouldn't eat. Manufacturers often put wheat flour in ground spices and especially spice mixes to keep the powders from clumping. Mixtures can also have msg and other things in them. I grind my own and make my own mixtures.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

right on rheanna..I guess you remembered about me and, the gluten, huh.?? LOL

Last edited by Losec20mg; 03-11-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
right on rheanna..I guess you remembered about me and, the gluten, huh.?? LOL
Yeah, I remember -- hi!

Old 03-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna
I've read lists of things that a person who has gluten intolerance shouldn't eat. Manufacturers often put wheat flour in ground spices and especially spice mixes to keep the powders from clumping. Mixtures can also have msg and other things in them. I grind my own and make my own mixtures.
Wow, who knew?!! No me, thats for sure!! haha

But the labels don't mention those other things??

Old 03-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Wow, who knew?!! No me, thats for sure!! haha

But the labels don't mention those other things??
I remember reading somewhere that wheat is used in spices. Searched for a long time and now I've found it. Wheat doesn't have to be listed as an ingredient if it's used in small amounts. Natural flavorings can come from ANY food and they don't have to say which one(s), because its purpose is for flavoring rather than nutrition. Caramel coloring can come from various sources, including barley. There's a whole long list of hidden sources of gluten available from celiac organizations.

After reading this list, I was reminded that lots of Japanese products are potential problems -- and I've been eating more Japanesey lately and having problems with sleepiness (the original point of this thread!) and stomach aches. I'm using Tamari which is soy sauce without the wheat, but my list of no-no's says that miso (even when wheat is NOT listed as an ingredient) can use a gluten-containing grain as part of the manufacturing process, and anything with koji in it probably comes from barley.

Sigh.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

bah..Gluten is everywhere..its also in drinks, medication, creams, tooth-paste..etc there is no end with gluten..i should know, im on the diet

would you believe roasted nuts contain gluten?

Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #14
(male)

mikeb HB User

"would you believe roasted nuts contain gluten?"

I'm also gluten free. Roasted nuts? Which ones?

Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes, pretty much all of them..contact the company if there's a phone number on the package..ask them what they used when the roasted them. if you want a trick to know if you'r eating gluten..you gotta check you'r stools..one sign is, if it stinks then you'r eating gluten somewhere..or if your stools are floating..I go by smell..and, mine never smell. ..the less they smell the healthier you'r eating.

i guess veggie girl is gonna laugh now

Last edited by Losec20mg; 03-13-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Closed Thread