It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #1

ocurt HB User
no sugar or white flour

hey people! i'm going to try and not eat sugar and white flour for a week. See how i do w/ it... now, what do i have to stay away from? sugar and white flour, obviously... but what are the things i can eat? all natural stuff, right? can i drink 100% fruit juice? any tips would be great!

Old 03-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: no sugar or white flour

What I do - and what works well for me - is to focus on all the things I CAN eat!! Eat lots of good quality veggies and a variety at that; peppers, brussels sprouts, bean sprouts, with lots of delicious homemade marinades and sauces utilizing fresh herbs.

Give healthy grains like quinoa a try with a cups of steaming veggies and nice sauce - either lemon ginger, or soy-sesame, or curry coconut etc.

Also, have a nice bowl of fresh berries in the morning followed by some oatmeal and some protein like an omelettte,

If you eat meat, you could also have lean chicken or fish with some brown rice and veggies. Or, you can use the healthy variety of 'flour' (without white flour!) tortillas and make some nice wraps.

Also, try making homemade burgers or 'pancakes' with lentils or with black beans.

You also can't go wrong with soups, chillis or stews (esp. now its cold!!)

You can also make lasgne but substitute strips of zuccini or eggplant for pasta.

Surf the web and find a good site that has reviews so you have a bette sense of what you're making.

Go for variety and you won't even THINK about flour and sugar!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
Inactive

debemak HB User

Maybe it is the additives making you sleepy. Try making it with chile powder and individual spices.

Last edited by debemak; 03-12-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #4

ocurt HB User
thanx, that helps alot! a few years back i stopped eating all sugar and i felt great... but i started eating it again! i'd really like to cut back! lol! but umm.. so i can have fruit and all that then right? cuz its natural sugar?

Old 03-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocurt
thanx, that helps alot! a few years back i stopped eating all sugar and i felt great... but i started eating it again! i'd really like to cut back! lol! but umm.. so i can have fruit and all that then right? cuz its natural sugar?
yep, but stick to berries, pears, and cantelope - they have less sugar

Old 03-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #6

jazzyE HB User

WHat reason are you cutting out sugar? I'm kinda doing the same thing for a cleanse, but fruit is definitely off limits. The only exceptions for me are berries, lemons, limes, grapefruit, and green apples occasionally. Every other fruit is pretty much a no-no. Just eat lots of veggies and protein.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:27 AM   #7

ocurt HB User

my reason for cutting out sugar is because i feel i eat too much of it... i'm a 14 yr. old female and i'm not overweight.... i guess more like what i mean is i dont want to eat any sugar that isnt natural sugar... i was planning on eating fruits... and if i cant, then i guess i dont even wanna do this! because i absolutely love fruit! oh, but i do love vegetables too... but fruit is just so good...

Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

At 14 I dont think this is a wonderful idea- empty calories or not, you are still in your prime growing years, and any major alterations to your diet that is not sanctioned by a doctor or nutritionist I dont support, and I dont think anyone else really should. Besides the fact that you think you eat to much, cutting out sugar and white flour is typically done for specific diets or weight loss reasons- neither of which you should be concerned with. True, both sugar and white flour aren't exactly plentiful in vitamins and minerals, but instead of cutting it out I would recommend simply reducing them- that means snacking on fruits instead of candy and choosing whole wheat/grain more often. That doesn't mean to CUT OUT sugar or white flour, because that would limit a lot of things that teens your age typically eat, and whether that is healthy or not, it is NORMAL. You still have your late teens-20s to worry about your diet, enjoy yourself now- yes, eat healthfully, but don't go to the extremes of completely cutting anything out.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #9

jazzyE HB User

Hmmm, yeah at 14 the best thing to do is watch your portions and when you want a snack, just grab some fruit or veggies or crackers and cheese. I don't think candy and cookies or other sugar-filled snacks are good at any age. I have a 4 yr old son and even though I have to be on a certain diet for health reasons, I don't deprive him of things I can't eat. Instead I just keep healthy things for him to snack on.

Closed Thread