It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

jessica129 HB User
Scales

I recently weighed myself at a friends house and it came up being 7 lbs heavier than my scale. This is quite depressing to me. I have a dial scale and hers was a digital one that read body fat. Which is more accurate? I'm quite discouraged now. Can you really ever trust at-home scales?

Old 03-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica129
I recently weighed myself at a friends house and it came up being 7 lbs heavier than my scale. This is quite depressing to me. I have a dial scale and hers was a digital one that read body fat. Which is more accurate? I'm quite discouraged now. Can you really ever trust at-home scales?
No, you really can't trust home scales to be accurate. Assuming that they're stable, that is you can step on and off a few times and get the same number each time, then the best thing they're good for is comparing to the last time you weighed on that same scale. I finally got tired of being depressed and confused and shocked and pleased every time I stepped onto a different scale that I finally gave up on them altogether. I know by how well my clothes fit whether I'm doing ok. Just the amount of water my body retains or releases depending on the time of day or month or whether I've eaten salty stuff or whatever can affect the number on the scale -- and the water in my body is certainly not a measure of how much fat and muscle I've got.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I ditto that - I've weighed myself on one scale one day and a different scale the very next day and been 5 lbs different, which is impossible. Of course, there are many different factors to take into account when you weigh yourself, which is why you should never trust a scale in the first place, but if you do weigh yourself, start off at the doctor's office to get an accurate read, and then weigh yourself on the same scale at home each time after that. It's the only way to be sane...lol.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

yeh, doctor's scales are the best choice. at home scales are always 3-5 lbs off. which is really annoying i can agree. it also depends on wat time of the day u weigh urself. if u just ate and drank a lot of water, chances are u'll be 1 or 2 lbs heavier due to water weight. i always weigh myself 1st thing in the morning (if i was to weigh myself), because my body is all emptied out. thats my look at scales neways....because i would do the same thing. weigh myself over and over and over and get like...3 different results!!

Closed Thread