It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Milk and nutrition new announcement.

There was some new information about Milk that it is not as beneficial for preventing osteoperosis as they formerly believed. Does anyone know the details of this? I was at work today and this woman who hates milk since she was a kid was trying to say that there is no benefit of drinking milk at all. She said that it has no more benefits then drinking mountain dew. I totally disagree. Milk has so many nutrients in it it's almost a complete food.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Milk and nutrition new announcement.

she was lieing..yup if she has osteo, then she should follow a gluten free diet then maybe she will properly absorb the vitamines in the milk..i know a have osteo and, since iv been eating healthfully and, taking my dairy everyday, i feel great and, no more pains..and, iv been shoveling snow like crazy and, my back never hurts..hehe (lets know on wood)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I know there was something on the news about Milk not being as good for osteoperosis as they thought. I did see parts of it on the news. I don't believe all of the studies they come out with though. It is still good for it but she was totally stretching the truth by saying Milk is completely useless. I know she said that she has never drank milk. Even when she was a kid she refused to. So I bet she has gotten a lot of flack for that so as soon as some study showed that it might not be as good as they thought she just jumped on that one. I just wish I could get a copy of the information in that study. Not that I really care that much what she said but it might be fun to have the information with me if she tries to say it again.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Kari,

There was an article in the March issue of Pediatrics magazine that analyzed 27 studies about diet vs bone health in children and adolescents. It did not refer to osteoporosis, which mostly affects older people. This article claims that children's bone health didn't seem to be affected by whether they consumed 500 mg of calcium daily vs the 800-1200 mg recommended by mainstream medicine. This would mean that 1 1/2 glasses of milk per day would be sufficient instead of the 3-4 normally recommended. There are other sources of calcium besides milk, such as dark greens, brocolli, tofu, and calcium fortified rice milk, soy milk and orange juice. I have read other stories that show that lots of exercise and sunshine (to make vitamin D) are really important to enable the body to make use of whatever amount of calcium is consumed. At any rate, this study has caused a lot of controversy.

My feeling is that if milk doesn't agree with you, there are other sources of calcium. But no, milk is not the same as mountain dew!

Personally, I drank lots of milk daily until well into adulthood, and even now (age 56) I incorporate milk products into almost every meal. Now if I could only put as much effort into exercise, so that the calcium would go to my bones, instead of the calories into my hips!

--Rheanna

Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hahahaha pretty funny there rehanna

Old 03-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I also just read some information that shows the dangers of consuming too much calcium. The study shows that our bones can only process so much calcium in our lifetime. So if you take really high doses most of your life then when you get older your bones will not absorb the calcium like it should anymore. How I understood it is the bones actually get worn out because of having to work too hard at processing way too much calcium. Just like anything too much of a good thing can be bad also.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

does this also apply to young children..? I mean don't they need their milk.??

Old 03-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Young children need calcium to grow. There bones need it to develope. Our entire body needs calcium not just our bones. The excessive calcium intake would apply to children also. Children need more calcium then adults though. If you look at daily requirements just to develope there bones and body. It's just not a good idea to be giving children calcium suppliments unless there is a medical reason for it. Drinking a few glasses of milk a day is sufficient. Tons of extra calcium is not good though. They also say the the more calcium we take into our bodies the less we absorb. It's the bones way of not getting overloaded. So if we are taking in way more then we need then the less our bodies actually absorb. It messes up the absorption system. It's our bodies way of protecting itself from not getting an overdose. It's all a balance. I never really understood that before myself but after reading about it I understand.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok, so then my nephews can have their cheese, yogurts and, milk all in one day and, be ok..?? they pretty much have yogurt, some cheese styx, and, their milk..on a daily basis should be ok, right.??

Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yes that is great. Kids need a lot of calcium. It will not effect them later in life. It's just when someone takes high doses of suppliments it is a problem. The only time that would be a problem with them eating so much dairy is if it interferes with them eating other things that are required like vegetables, fruit, whole wheat bread, cereal. So if they really love those dairy things it will not hurt them in and of itself but if they don't get the other required foods then it could cause problems. Probably not anything major but it can cause more illnesses like colds if not enough of other nutrients are consumed. The four major food groups are very important.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Meat is another important food group. I did not include that in the last message because not everyone eats meat. Dairy is a complete protein so if enough dairy is consumed it is ok to go without meat. I could never go without meat though. I have read it is the most important protein that we consume. Both milk and meat have so many nutrients. They both have B vitamins, Zinc, and many many more. I have a book that lists them all. I cannot find it right now though.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

thanks kari, I shall make my nephews read what you just typed.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

oh also, can they have a different variety of grains..?? Kamut, spelt, corn bread, quinoa..etc..instead of packing them with wheat everyday.??

Last edited by Losec20mg; 03-19-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I am not super educated on bread. I do know that white bread is bad though. White bread is like eating sugar. It has it's nutrients when it's fortified but because it is bleached to be white it turns to sugar in the body when consumed.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

the reason why i asked that, is because im on the gluten free diet and, when they come over to my place they eat all my stuff..heh, I don't mind aslong as they like it. I wouldn't want them to bring a lunch when they come to my house..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 03-19-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Closed Thread