It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

jlforbess HB User
Arrow Veggies: Fitting them all in

Does anyone else have problems eating enough veggies? I find that, when I eat enough of them, I tend to lose weight but the problem is keeping it up. Any tips on sneaking more veggies into my diet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #2
(female)

Jogaholic HB User
Re: Veggies: Fitting them all in

When you start eating veggies regularly, it becomes habit and you'll probably even start to really like them. At least, that's what happened to me. Anywho, here's some suggestions for ya..
Try more salads - make with mixed greens, romaine lettuce, spinach, etc and add things like peppers, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, radishes, pretty much anything your heart desires..and you'll find this allows for lots of variety. You could even find veggie-based dressing to top it off.
Baked potates - you can add sour cream, vanilla yogurt, margarine, chives, bacon bits, whatever you like. These are easy.
Sweet potatoes - just poke some holes in em and pop in the microwave. They are really good with cinnamon sugar!
Sitr fry - saute a bunch of veggies w/some soy sauce and olive oil and put on top of brown rice - add some chicken or tofu for extra protein.
A good snack is veggies and dip, like ranch dressing or laughing cow cheese. Sometimes I like to microwave a bunch in a little water to soften them, then melt some shredded cheese on top.
Hope this helps. There's tons of recipes on the web too, and plenty of vegetable cook books if you're looking for things to make.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey jogaholic, those sound really good, thanks

Old 03-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
(female)

AmandaH HB User

About once a week I cut up veggies - cauliflower, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, carrots - and put them in single serving ziploc bags. That way my husband and I can conveniently grab one. They are great with low fat ranch dressing. Salads, like jogaholic mentioned, are great ways to get in several servings of veggies. And the possibilities for salads are endless - you can do whatever you like. Veggie soups are another great idea. Just be creative.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

margarete HB User

basically, eat at fresh choice every chance you get.
salads can get boring. here are some fresh ideas: sunflower seeds, soybeans, beets, AVOCADO!!!, sundried tomatoes, corn, peas, baby corn.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I make a veggie stir fry for dinner most nights its an easy way to get all the veggies servings in.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

JimBBB HB User

Jl,
For me eating veggies is the one thing I almost never make my numbers for. I've been on the DASH diet for over a year where it specifies 6 servings of veggies each day (that is based on my age/weight/activity level). I almost never reach that number. You would think after all that time it would become a habit right? Nada. I keep a journal and just took a look back over the last 6 months -- only a handful of times did i reach 6 -- usually it is 2-4. There's plenty of vg around if i want to eat them and i do eat 3 or 4 servings a day, but i don't go out of my way to eat more. I am not sure what the answer is. Well i always figured the target values in DASH are kind of high anyways so that's my justification for less. Don't forget tho that not all veg serving sizes are alike. Even a simple salad, if it contains more than just greens (toms, cukes, carrots, other heavy stuff) bumps the actual serving size by .5 or 1, so you might be doing more servings than you think.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

mf2 HB User

I sneak some veggies in at lunch with a glass of V8. Curious to hear what people think of V8 and it's nutritional value...?
mf2

Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #9

washee HB User

I don't have trouble getting all my veggies in but I do keep v-8 with me when I need a quick nutritional pick-up. The only problem I see with v-8 is the amount of sodium in it, but I buy the low sodium kind. I think it is a good alternative and really fills me up.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
(male)

The Len HB User

Make sure you start out with a fruit and vege choice or salad right before you eat your main course. That ensures that you have your produce for that specific meal. And people complain that they can't eat a salad without dressing cause it won't taste good. Ever hear of throwing some fruit in with your vege salad? It's the healthiest topping you could ever use and you're also getting your fruit serving in for your diet when you do that.

My favorite salad includes:

shredded kale, spinach, collard greens, and green leaf lettuce with a cut up tomato, diced carrots, and fresh blueberries. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Last edited by The Len; 03-31-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Just double up on your veggie servings. You could have carrot sticks or celery sticks for morning and evening/afternoon snacks. (Right there is 2 servings down, 4 to go.) Have a salad for lunch and tomato and veggies in your sandwich. (2 more down, 2 to go) Have 2 servings of veggies for super like a salad and string beans. (Total 6 servings of veggies)

Closed Thread