It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
(male)

SkuNumbers HB User
Arrow drinking egg whites

I am interested in losing fat and adding muscle. I am 17 yrs old, male, 5' 9", 150 lbs. I am in pretty good shape already. I lift at least twice a week (usually 3 but at least twice), hit the tread mill for 70 minutes everyday (600 calories, 4.65 miles), and try to avoid lots of carbs, sweets and fried foods. I wanna basically tone and define my muscles more. I don't really want to lose much more weight but I still have fat to lose in certain spots. Are egg whites a good supplement? How many calories/fat grams do they have? Is this the right idea for my goal?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: drinking egg whites

An egg white is an excellent protein source and contains almost no other macronutrients except water.
Think of a Large egg white as having about 17 calories: 4 grams protein, 0 carbs, 0 fat.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-24-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

tdot HB User

Just make sure they are fresh! You don't want to get sick from spoiled raw eggs.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
(male)

SkuNumbers HB User
Arrow Re: drinking egg whites

how many/when should I drink? Is it safe to drink them, any bacteria to worry about?

Old 03-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
(female)

tdot HB User

Salmonella can sometimes breed in eggs. As I mentioned above, if you're going to consume raw eggs, make sure they are fresh. But do you need to eat raw eggs? Can't you eat them cooked? Or look for other ways to ensure your protein intake is appropriate. An adult male only needs 1 gram of protein per kg of body weight which generally translates into 65-90g per day. Once your body gets enought protein, you will excrete (pee) out the rest.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

tdot,

Not quite. Too much protein, over and above the bodies needs, will either be burned if energy is needed or stored as fat if it's not needed for energy.

Numbers,
I wouldn't eat too many raw eggsl eventually you'll get an infected one and salmonella poisoning is NO walk in the park. It may take 100 uncooked eggs; it may take 300 but you will eventually get the chamber with the bullet in it!

Having said that, I eat about 1 a week in a protein shake for one of my breakfasts...so far I've been lucky, but I'd be afraid to increase the odds against me with one a day...or 5 a day.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-24-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

tdot HB User

"tdot,

Not quite. Too much protein, over and above the bodies needs, will either be burned if energy is needed or stored as fat if it's not needed for energy."

Quote from reliable nutrition and fitness text:

"The body cells will use only the amount of amino acids necessary to meet their protein needs. They cannot store excess amino acids to any significant amount, although the protein formed may be catabolized to release amino acids back into the blood.

Because the human body does not have a mechanism to store excess nitrogen, it cannot store amino acids perse. Through the process of deamination, the amino group containing the nitrogen is removed. The excess nitrogen will be excreted from the body."

Basically what this means is that protein consists of amino acids which consist of nitrogen. Once the body receives enough protein, the rest in form of broken down amino acids (nitrogen) will be excreted.

Last edited by tdot; 03-29-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes, but tdot, that excess nitrogen is only a minor part of the protein molecule. All the carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are readily turned into soft bouncy fat if they are not burned.
Actually 60% of the protein molecule can even be converted to PURE GLUCOSE if the brain needs sugar.

Evolution has trained humanity to store every conceivable calorie and for protein that means everything but the nitrogen.

That's why a gram of protein yields 4 calories, JUST like a gram of carbohydrates. And those 4 calories must be burned or stored as fat, there's NO other route unless your kidneys are shot or you're bleeding profusely and thus losing protein inappropriately.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-30-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
(male)

The Len HB User

Take 5 to 6 fresh eggs and stick them in a pot. Pour cold water on them until it completely covers the eggs. Put them on the stove and set the heat on high. Come back in 20 minutes and shut it off. Drain and refill with cold water and leave it alone for another 5 minutes. Then crack open each egg and bite the tip off. Pull it open with your fingers and let the yolk come out. Eat the whites. I just gave you the safest and best way to eat egg whites. No chance of catching anything with this method.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
(female)

runnergirl HB User

also, don't drink an excessive amount of raw eggs. raw eggs have avidin in them, which binds to biotin, so to prevent this interaction, i would endorse cooked eggs in the first place.

Closed Thread